Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Doug Kanter

Default slow shower drain

"Paul O." wrote in message
First of all, did a google and have been reading the info there. Was
wondering just what is safe for the plastic pipes of my mobile home. Two
soloutions I read that I liked is (1) baking soda and vinegar, and (2)
pouring boiling water down the drain. Don't want to use the chemical if I
don't have to. Also, I'm not to crazy about crawling around underneath,
spiders ya know, if I don't have to. I did try a plunger last nite which
helped. Tonite I tried the boiling water, which made a lot of noises, the
cold plastic I suppose. Thanks for your input.

Paul O.

I like hot water with metal pipes, but not plastic. Try the plunger again.
The main reason it may not work is that as you're trying to build up
pressure under the plunger, some of it's going out the overflow drain. So,
wet a washcloth and hold it tightly in the overflow drain. Put enough water
in the tub to cover 2" of the plunger.

Baking soda and vinegar....I dunno. Sounds to me like it would not help, but
would do no harm.

The final, and probably best solution is to peek under the home, estimate
the length of pipe that could be clogged, and go buy a cheap snake of that
length. Cheap because unless it's warm enough where you live to hose the
snake off outdoors when you're done with it, how are you gonna clean it when
you're done with it? If you can, fine. If not, just toss the thing. It
doesn't have to be a motorized snake - a manual one is good enough.

Finally, when you're done, change the tub strainer to a dome-shaped one if
you don't already have such a thing in place. I find they catch more hair
than the flat screens.