I R Baboon

Default want to create a "starfield" with electric lights

subject says it all. planning stages of redoing my 3yo sons bedroom. one of
the ideas is to put some kind of low voltage light in ceiling drywall to
make a starfield look. any ideas?

MUADIB®

Sure ,.....Why not.
Try stapling christmas lights to the ceiling and then hang dark cloth
below it. You could sew some yardage of fabric to any square shape and
staple it to the ceiling also. Cheap, and effective.

subject says it all. planning stages of redoing my 3yo sons bedroom. one of
the ideas is to put some kind of low voltage light in ceiling drywall to
make a starfield look. any ideas?

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

http://www.angelfire.com/retro/sster...IN%20PAGE.html

one small step for man,.....
One giant leap for attorneys.

JerryMouse

ADC wrote:
you could go fiberoptic...could even change colors.

I'd go for a fiber optic PROJECTION system - in other words a LAMP with
fiber optic tentacles pointing toward the ceiling.

meirman

In alt.home.repair on Mon, 21 Feb 2005 02:32:14 GMT "I R Baboon"
posted:

subject says it all. planning stages of redoing my 3yo sons bedroom. one of
the ideas is to put some kind of low voltage light in ceiling drywall to
make a starfield look. any ideas?

Buy the glow-in-the-dark ones that just stick on. They probably get
dimmer with time, and by then your kid should be asleep anyhow. Then
they will glow again when you turn off the lights each night.

Meirman
--
If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.

Tim Zimmerman

"JerryMouse" wrote ...
ADC wrote:
you could go fiberoptic...could even change colors.

I'd go for a fiber optic PROJECTION system - in other words a LAMP with
fiber optic tentacles pointing toward the ceiling.

Or
1) Paint the ceiling black.
2) Carefully, glue glitters on the ceiling facing the child's bed.
3) With a dim super bright LED, shine it towards the glitters.
4) Might also work with black light.

Tim Zimmerman

"I R Baboon" wrote in message ...
subject says it all. planning stages of redoing my 3yo sons bedroom. one of
the ideas is to put some kind of low voltage light in ceiling drywall to
make a starfield look. any ideas?

1) Go outside, take a picture of the stars on a slide film.
2) Develop it.
2) Run back inside and project it to the ceiling.

Joseph Meehan

I R Baboon wrote:
subject says it all. planning stages of redoing my 3yo sons bedroom.
one of the ideas is to put some kind of low voltage light in ceiling
drywall to make a starfield look. any ideas?

My son at about 14 years old decided to paint his bedroom. He chose
black, then used white paint splattered on it. Frankly I thought he was
crazy, but I let him do it. It was a learning experience. I learned to
always pay attention to your children. He did a very professional job. I
was even able to find a bed spread to match.

I do suggest you skip the idea of stapling Christmas lamps, that is not
safe, but your might take a look at some of the commercial special lighting
designed for year around use available at a real lighting store.

You could also try the glow in the dark stick on stars. They are not
expensive, easy to put up and can be removed with little or no damage.
Check out the larger toy stores. I have used them for markers in my
darkroom.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Martin

"I R Baboon" wrote in message
subject says it all. planning stages of redoing my 3yo sons bedroom. one

of
the ideas is to put some kind of low voltage light in ceiling drywall to
make a starfield look. any ideas?

Do it the easy way: Look for a Toy Planetarium. We had one set up on a
chest. It projected images on the ceiling showing stars and constellations
in motion. Put me to sleep faster than the kids. Google shows a bunch of
them for as little as $25.

I R Baboon

thanks everyone for responding. i think i need to be a bit more clearer. ive
used the cheap stick on glow n dark moons n stars. looks ok but i want
lights to remain lit throughout the night and to be switch controlled. some
mentioned fiber optic but also said it was quite costly. L.E.D's maybe? the
ceiling will be vaulted to the roofline with 2x10 rafters. has to be low
voltage/heat. smaller room, maybe 10x10ish

Tim Zimmerman

"JerryMouse" wrote in message ...
ADC wrote:
you could go fiberoptic...could even change colors.

I'd go for a fiber optic PROJECTION system - in other words a LAMP with
fiber optic tentacles pointing toward the ceiling.

I'd never seen one of these work but I assume the fiber optics tips
aren't able to focus. So what you get is a blur circle on the ceiling the
size a quarter. Instead, this can look like Pluto, Venus, etc.

Tim Zimmerman

"I R Baboon" wrote in message ...
thanks everyone for responding. i think i need to be a bit more clearer. ive
used the cheap stick on glow n dark moons n stars. looks ok but i want
lights to remain lit throughout the night and to be switch controlled. some
mentioned fiber optic but also said it was quite costly. L.E.D's maybe? the
ceiling will be vaulted to the roofline with 2x10 rafters. has to be low
voltage/heat. smaller room, maybe 10x10ish

Ebay was pitching 50 Super bright LED for ($20US.) But you're
looking for the flax seed size intense LED found on cell phones, Christmas
cards etc. Someone at Sci.electronics.basics might know how to get those.

You might need LED drivers to drive 4-10 LEDS at a time ($3US.) or use a
variable current IC.

Tim Zimmerman

"ADC" wrote in message ...
here you go...http://www.fiberoptix.com/products/star-ceilings.html

For example, take a 10 x 10 room with an over all practical star ratio
of 4:1. You you'll need 2442 feet of .75mm fiber ($ 162.99) and 814 feet
of the 1.0mm fiber ($ 219.99.) Here's some fiber optics fibers prices for
your projects.

http://www.thefiberopticstore.com/pu...owfilament.htm

The filaments look like fishing lines but they are actually Polymethyl methacrylate
Fluorinated polymer. If you're not planning on building your own LED
illuminators then you'll need an illuminator. Here are illuminators.

http://www.thefiberopticstore.com/pu...ators.htm#SR75