MrC1

Default Large spots appearing in latex paint - with runny gunk coming out! (seriously!)

I painted a large room with Behr Premium interior eggshell paint a few
months ago. I didn't like the sheen of the eggshell, so I threw a coat of
flat on top and it looked much better.

After about 2 months there are now light areas forming that look extremely
flat (no sheen) and there are noticeable drool lines coming down from them
with little droplets of goo at the end. What's going on??

The weird part is, it's only doing this on one wall. The rest of the room
looks fine.

Lastly, a few notes: All walls had flat builder's paint before I painted.
The walls were clean. The wall with the spots has not been exposed to
anything different than the other walls. There have not been any patches
made to the wall.

m Ransley

On an exterior wall that is cold? or interior. What kind of gunk

xrongor

how many coats?

was it primed first or just painted?

did you put latex over oil?

randy

"MrC1" wrote in message
I painted a large room with Behr Premium interior eggshell paint a few
months ago. I didn't like the sheen of the eggshell, so I threw a coat of
flat on top and it looked much better.

After about 2 months there are now light areas forming that look extremely
flat (no sheen) and there are noticeable drool lines coming down from them
with little droplets of goo at the end. What's going on??

The weird part is, it's only doing this on one wall. The rest of the room
looks fine.

Lastly, a few notes: All walls had flat builder's paint before I painted.
The walls were clean. The wall with the spots has not been exposed to
anything different than the other walls. There have not been any patches
made to the wall.

MrC1

It was primed first, and all layers were latex. Probably a good 4-5 coats
on there (went from white to a dark burgundy).

It's an outside wall, but one that is somewhat insulated with a small attic
next to it. This is also in Texas, so I wouldn't think being cold would be
the problem. Then again, I have no idea so I'll consider that!

The goo is almost like resin, but is clear and slightly white where it makes
a bead at the end of each run. It's a bit greasy and sticky.

I'd shoot some pics, but my digicam died on me last week.

"MrC1" wrote in message
[...]

Norminn

MrC1 wrote:
It was primed first, and all layers were latex. Probably a good 4-5 coats
on there (went from white to a dark burgundy).

It's an outside wall, but one that is somewhat insulated with a small attic
next to it. This is also in Texas, so I wouldn't think being cold would be
the problem. Then again, I have no idea so I'll consider that!

The goo is almost like resin, but is clear and slightly white where it makes
a bead at the end of each run. It's a bit greasy and sticky.

I'd shoot some pics, but my digicam died on me last week.

I know that some exterior latex/acryllic paints will leak resin, but
don't recall the mechanism/reason. That which I have seen was amber
color, small amount. What brand/line of paint? How long between coats?
Was the wall cold when you painted? Cleaned/rinsed/dried before you
primed? What primer?

I would call the paint store. If you bought it at a home store, email
the paint company with precise info.

John B

Although your claim that the drips are resinous, I can't resist asking you
if you could possible be seing the effects of a water leak somewhere.
Rainwater could enter the wall. Air-conditioning condensate, fresh-water
leak, or sewage seepage. You might even have a bathroom countertop that has
a crack in tile, allowing water to enter a wall, only to run out below.
You didn't say if your house is two-story, and if your damage is downstairs
or upstairs.

I might suggest you place "humidity sensors" (like paper towels with
felt-pen writing on them) in various locations, to detect any unusual, or
localized, humidity phenomena.

But I more suspect that your undercoating of paint, or wallboard, was
contaminated with something, and it is leaching through the outer layer of
paint.

"MrC1" wrote in message
[...]

Ross Mac

"MrC1" wrote in message
I painted a large room with Behr Premium interior eggshell paint a few
months ago. I didn't like the sheen of the eggshell, so I threw a coat of
flat on top and it looked much better.

After about 2 months there are now light areas forming that look extremely
flat (no sheen) and there are noticeable drool lines coming down from them
with little droplets of goo at the end. What's going on??

The weird part is, it's only doing this on one wall. The rest of the room
looks fine.

Lastly, a few notes: All walls had flat builder's paint before I painted.
The walls were clean. The wall with the spots has not been exposed to
anything different than the other walls. There have not been any patches
made to the wall.

Is the exterior wood? I have seen unseasoned lumber leak sap through the
paint.....Just a thought....Ross

MrC1

It's definitely not a water leak. This is on the second floor, nowhere near
any water source (plumbing) and the spots are randomly spaced, all at about
the same height on the wall (weird stuff, huh?) over a distance of about 20
feet!

I can't imagine that there was any contamination (although I understand
that's really what it looks like) since it was clean, dry builders flat
latex that I painted over.

"MrC1" wrote in message
[...]

MrC1

"Norminn" wrote in message

MrC1 wrote:
[...]

it was primed with Behr Premium primer and then painted (after a few days of
curing time) with Behr Premium interior enamel. Coats dried over night. It
was approx 75-78*F when painting.

At least I now have heard that resin CAN leak out of paint. I never knew
that. The weirdest part now is the fact that it doesn't appear to be
contamination-related, BUT all the spots are in about the same height on the
wall over a long distance. Spacing of the spots appears to be random
though.

Norminn

clipped

it was primed with Behr Premium primer and then painted (after a few days of
curing time) with Behr Premium interior enamel. Coats dried over night. It
was approx 75-78*F when painting.

At least I now have heard that resin CAN leak out of paint. I never knew
that. The weirdest part now is the fact that it doesn't appear to be
contamination-related, BUT all the spots are in about the same height on the
wall over a long distance. Spacing of the spots appears to be random
though.

Sounds pretty weird - is this more than one wall? Along a taped joint?
Surface, as well as the room, was over 50 degrees? Did you do some
patching prior to the primer? A wild guess would be that four coats
might require more dry time than just one or two, didn't stir the paint
sufficiently each time, or that you primed over uncured patching compound.

Suzie-Q

-
- After about 2 months there are now light areas forming that look extremely
- flat (no sheen) and there are noticeable drool lines coming down from them
- with little droplets of goo at the end. What's going on??
-
- The weird part is, it's only doing this on one wall. The rest of the room
- looks fine.
-
- Lastly, a few notes: All walls had flat builder's paint before I painted.
- The walls were clean. The wall with the spots has not been exposed to
- anything different than the other walls. There have not been any patches
- made to the wall.

Call the Jesuits. You need an exorcism.
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

http://www.suzanne-eckhardt.com/
http://www.intergnat.com/malebashing/
http://www.intergnat.com/pussygames/
Noozer

"Suzie-Q" wrote in message
In article ,
"MrC1" wrote:

[...]

Are you sure the kids havent been tossing their food at the wall?

Anyone in the house with a REALLY bad cold?

John B

What's wrong with putting latex over oil? If the undercoat were to leach
through the outercoat, what difference would it matter what kind of outer
coat was used? Latex is surely as impervious as any oil-based outercoat.

I just think the OP has defective paint somewhere. It should be stripped,
or the wallboard replaced.

"MrC1" wrote in message
[...]

Matt

The wall has VD. Paint it with Penicillin for 2 weeks. Very important
not to stop painting it after 1 week.

Duane Bozarth

John B wrote:
....top posting fixed...
"xrongor" wrote in message
how many coats?

was it primed first or just painted?

did you put latex over oil?

What's wrong with putting latex over oil? If the undercoat were to leach
through the outercoat, what difference would it matter what kind of outer
coat was used? Latex is surely as impervious as any oil-based outercoat.

I just think the OP has defective paint somewhere. It should be stripped,
or the wallboard replaced.

Far more likely defective preparation or mismatched products (top coat
over a product not compatible, not cleaned properly, not primed
properly, etc.)

Latex over oil isn't recommended for many. There are oil-based primers
for use under either oil or latex topcoats, but that's not universally
true.

Latex typically is not as impervious as oil. Some latex enamels may
be close.

As another poster has noted, there's almost nothing that can be
generalized about a paint brand, likewise there's not very much that
can be completely generalized about "oil-based" vs "latex-based" other
than the solvent/water cleanup. There's just too much difference
between various products to make all-encompassing generalizations.
Duane Bozarth

MrC1 wrote:
...The weirdest part now is the fact that it doesn't appear to be
contamination-related, BUT all the spots are in about the same height on the
wall over a long distance. Spacing of the spots appears to be random
though.

Sounds to me like there was something on the wall that wasn't compatible
w/ the paint. I'd follow up w/ Behr and see if they have any
suggestions regarding cause based on appearance and your prep and
product used.

I'm thinking I'd wait a while and see what develops. If it stays
constrained in the one area I'd almost wager there was something either
drug along or hung on the wall at sometime that left a residue. Now
that it's repainted it may well require taking it back to bare wall to
get it cleaned up and re-prep'ed.

Duane Bozarth

1_Patriotic_Guy wrote:

Sounds to me like you have a ventaltion problem and high humidity.

The restriction to a horizontal line doesn't sound like a trapped
moisture problem to me...that would tend to be much more generally
located, imo.

Like so often, would be interesting to know what final resolution turns
out to be, but OP will probably never return to tell...

Hopkins

Parts of this sound like left over wallpaper glue, which can work its
way through each successive coat unless an oil primer is used [or it's
cleaned off] first.

As far as being in a horizontal line.... I dunno, maybe it was a
chair-rail height border or something.

Speedfit technique Arthur UK diy 615 November 23rd 04 11:50 PM
A challenge for old house lovers Mike Mitchell UK diy 322 September 30th 04 12:29 AM
Question about latex paint which is solidifying in the can Peter Palma Home Repair 1 August 2nd 04 01:59 PM
spray paint vs hand paint wendi Home Repair 19 July 21st 04 01:36 PM