Elle

Default Spray Gun for Fence Waterproofing

Hello,

I have 100 feet or so of wooden fence to which I want to apply Thompson
Water Seal (or similar). I looked at some spray guns at Lowe's and Wal-Mart
yesterday. Can anyone make a suggestion?

I am willing to spend up to about $80, assuming the more expensive spray
guns will make life a lot easier.

TIA,

Elle

JerseyMike

"Elle" wrote in message
. net...
Hello,

I have 100 feet or so of wooden fence to which I want to apply Thompson
Water Seal (or similar). I looked at some spray guns at Lowe's and

Wal-Mart
yesterday. Can anyone make a suggestion?

I am willing to spend up to about $80, assuming the more expensive spray
guns will make life a lot easier.

TIA,

Elle

they sell a tank sprayer for about $20.00 and holds about 2 gallons and
there is less waste and no extension cord to pull along.

mike............

Dave Morrison

Elle wrote:
Hello,

I have 100 feet or so of wooden fence to which I want to apply Thompson
Water Seal (or similar). I looked at some spray guns at Lowe's and Wal-Mart
yesterday. Can anyone make a suggestion?

I am willing to spend up to about $80, assuming the more expensive spray
guns will make life a lot easier.

TIA,

Elle

Cheap garden pump up tank sprayer, Thompson's is a thin liquid any
excess will just run off and not leave drip marks.
Best part is cleanup, empty sprayer dumped into thrash, done.
Dave

Elle

Thanks for your quick responses, Mike, Dave, and 3rdEye. I'll start making
inquiries.

I gather you mean that this is a hand-actuated sprayer: One manually pumps
it to get the pressure necessary. But that's no big deal given the thinness
of Thompson's Water Seal.

I saw another recent thread here that talks about water seals for docks.
Thompson's apparently isn't thought highly of in this area. Is that the
same for something vertical like a wood fence?

I'll look up water seals in Consumer Reports later today, per the dock
thread.

"3rd eye" wrote
wrote:

Hello,

I have 100 feet or so of wooden fence to which I want to apply Thompson
Water Seal (or similar). I looked at some spray guns at Lowe's and

Wal-Mart
yesterday. Can anyone make a suggestion?

I am willing to spend up to about $80, assuming the more expensive spray
guns will make life a lot easier.

TIA,

Elle

If you're thinking about these Wagner power painter units that sell
for less than $100-

SAVE YOUR MONEY.

They might work ok for painting a piece of furniture, but useless for
much else.

As Jersey Mike said a simple pump sprayer will work for you.

Andy Hill

"Elle" wrote:
Thanks for your quick responses, Mike, Dave, and 3rdEye. I'll start making
inquiries.

I gather you mean that this is a hand-actuated sprayer: One manually pumps
it to get the pressure necessary. But that's no big deal given the thinness
of Thompson's Water Seal.

I saw another recent thread here that talks about water seals for docks.
Thompson's apparently isn't thought highly of in this area. Is that the
same for something vertical like a wood fence?

I'll look up water seals in Consumer Reports later today, per the dock
thread.

Yup, I'm sure they meant the hand-pumped sprayer. I use the same method for
staining my deck. However, I'm cheap, and flush it with mineral spirits
afterwards so I can reuse it.

Thompson's is barely more effective than spitting on the fence. Consumer
Reports should have some decent ideas -- they did a pretty nice long-term test
on stains and water seals a while back...

SJF

"Andy Hill" wrote in message
news
"Elle" wrote:
[...]

In my son's neighborhood, the CC&Rs prohibit treating the wooden fences. So
everyone has the same weathered gray -- until it becomes necessary to
replace the fence. --- SJF

Elle

"SJF" wrote
"Andy Hill" wrote
"Elle" wrote:
[...]

SJF, that sounds sensible. So I checked a few minutes ago. Fortunately (I
suppose), my homeowners' association management said my neighborhood does
not have such a prohibition.

I went to the library and checked CR. It appears it has been doing a report
on "deck treatments" every summer time for at least the last several years.
Thompson's was last tested a few years ago. It did indeed score at the very
bottom of CR's tests.

Andy--Yes, I was wondering about whether the sprayer could simply be
cleaned. I don't know exactly what I'm dealing with here; CR says the
treatments they've tested extensively and that give good results are
"alkyds," and so I understand don't clean up with mere water. (Some
latex-based treatments are under study by CR.)

I'll find a garden pump sprayer this weekend and shop around for the best
deal on the different treatments CR recommends. Certain brands of Cabot,
Wolman, and Olympic did well.

Thanks again, all, for the direction.

SJF

Andy--Yes, I was wondering about whether the sprayer could simply be
cleaned.

I think you should be able to clean it with paint thinner. Clean several
times with small amounts repeated several times rather than one large flush.
The only trouble I ever had was with a small one (intended for misting
potted plants?) which apparently used rubber, rather than neoprene gaskets.
Not likely you'd run into that problem. --- SJF

xrongor

"SJF" wrote in message

"Andy Hill" wrote in message
news
"Elle" wrote:
[...]

if they are grey, its likely cedar. which doesnt need treating.

randy

Duane Bozarth

xrongor wrote:
if they are grey, its likely cedar. which doesnt need treating.

Possible, but not necessarily, and cedar will also weather longer w/
some protection--particularly horizontal surfaces such as the rails.

xrongor

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
xrongor wrote:
if they are grey, its likely cedar. which doesnt need treating.

Possible, but not necessarily, and cedar will also weather longer w/
some protection--particularly horizontal surfaces such as the rails.

yes, but he says his association doesnt allow staining the wood. its very
likely cedar. and yes. cedar doesnt hold up when it has water sitting on
it. if you want a 20 year, do nothing fence, use redwood for the posts and
rails, and cedar for the slats. if you want a 25 year fence, finish the
cedar.

randy