Old February 18th 05, 03:33 AM
jeff

Default Reverse Osmosis Tank Charging Question

Hi,

After changing filters in the reverse osmosis system, how long does it take
for the tank to be fully charged?

Is it normal to see the water in the return line (clear plastic line) flow
swiftly into the drain as the tank is charging?

Thanks,

Jeff M

Old February 18th 05, 12:44 PM
John

"jeff" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> After changing filters in the reverse osmosis system, how long does it
> take for the tank to be fully charged?
>
> Is it normal to see the water in the return line (clear plastic line) flow
> swiftly into the drain as the tank is charging?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jeff M

The water should come out the drain continuously as it makes water, but I'm
not sure what you mean by "swiftly". If it appears to come out at incoming
line pressure, make sure you're not missing a filter gasket. As far as how
long it takes to recharge the tank, you need to know the rating o the
membrane, for example: 25gpd (gallons per day). Figure roughly 1/2 the
rating for actual production. If your water pressure is very low or very
cold, it can be as little as 1/3 of the rating. The rating is determined at
a lab controlled temp and pressure, and of course, that is not reality, but
gives you a relative value. Since your tank probably holds a little over
two gallons of water, it takes about 4 hours to charge using a 25gpd
membrane. Keep in mind these are rough estimates.

John

Old February 18th 05, 06:47 PM
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff
Hi,

After changing filters in the reverse osmosis system, how long does it take
for the tank to be fully charged?

Is it normal to see the water in the return line (clear plastic line) flow
swiftly into the drain as the tank is charging?

Thanks,

Jeff M
It can take a while, depending on the size of your storage tank. I've got an 8 gallon storage capacity, and it'll take a day and a half to fully charge the tanks. You're draining the brine? You know, these systems waste about 3-4 times the water that it filters for drinking purposes. You should do something with all that wasted water, like flush toilets, or laundry or something. HTH. Tom
Work at your leisure!
Old February 19th 05, 05:01 AM
jeff

thanks Tom