Charly Crash

Default OT-- Chainsaw recommendations

In the market for a decent small 2 cycle chainsaw. Have searched Google,
but this is a new year and thought maybe there's some new recommendations.

I have/had a 14" Crapsman about 25 yrs. old. Did the ultimate no-no and
loaned it out. It came back froze solid, the person "thought" they could
get by running it on straight gas! The saw did its duty over the years, and
I think I have to have the funeral for it.

Anyways, looking for something that will get light use for about 20 hrs. a
year.

Thanks.

toller

I have/had a 14" Crapsman about 25 yrs. old. Did the ultimate no-no and
loaned it out. It came back froze solid, the person "thought" they could
get by running it on straight gas! The saw did its duty over the years,
and
I think I have to have the funeral for it.

If your chainsaw lasted 25 years, dying only after horrible abuse, why do
you call it Crapsman? I am happy with my 2 year old Craftsman.

T.D. Hilton

"Charly Crash" wrote in message
In the market for a decent small 2 cycle chainsaw. Have searched Google,
but this is a new year and thought maybe there's some new recommendations.

I have/had a 14" Crapsman about 25 yrs. old. Did the ultimate no-no and
loaned it out. It came back froze solid, the person "thought" they could
get by running it on straight gas! The saw did its duty over the years,

and
I think I have to have the funeral for it.

Anyways, looking for something that will get light use for about 20 hrs. a
year.

Well, my only experience has been with my father's Homelites. He's had the
same two for over 30 years and they run like champs.

Troy

Edwin Pawlowski

"Charly Crash" wrote in message

In the market for a decent small 2 cycle chainsaw.

You can't go wrong with a Stihl or Husquevarna. avoid any cheap brand that
places like Wal Mart sell.

zxcvbob

Charly Crash wrote:
In the market for a decent small 2 cycle chainsaw. Have searched Google,
but this is a new year and thought maybe there's some new recommendations.

I have/had a 14" Crapsman about 25 yrs. old. Did the ultimate no-no and
loaned it out. It came back froze solid, the person "thought" they could
get by running it on straight gas! The saw did its duty over the years, and
I think I have to have the funeral for it.

Anyways, looking for something that will get light use for about 20 hrs. a
year.

Thanks.

If you want a good small saw, get an Echo CS-3000. It is a light weight
top-handle saw, and it's what all the tree trimmers here use. I've had
one for about 6 or 8 years and I love it. My big saw is also an Echo,
but most of the tree trimmers use Stihl for their big saws.

Bob

zxcvbob

Charly Crash wrote:
In the market for a decent small 2 cycle chainsaw. Have searched Google,
but this is a new year and thought maybe there's some new recommendations.

I have/had a 14" Crapsman about 25 yrs. old. Did the ultimate no-no and
loaned it out. It came back froze solid, the person "thought" they could
get by running it on straight gas! The saw did its duty over the years, and
I think I have to have the funeral for it.

Anyways, looking for something that will get light use for about 20 hrs. a
year.

Thanks.

Is your "friend" who ruined you old saw gonna help pay for the new one?

Bob

Edwin Pawlowski

"T.D. Hilton" wrote in message

Well, my only experience has been with my father's Homelites. He's had the
same two for over 30 years and they run like champs.

Troy

Old ones will last another 30 years. New ones may last 30 days. They
turned to making crap a few years back. Tossed mine after a few hours and
bought a Stihl.

Charly Crash

"zxcvbob" wrote

Is your "friend" who ruined you old saw gonna help pay for the new one?

Bob

Actually, they offered to replace it. But, I think I will counter with a
come on over and have a beer, forget about it.

Nick Hull

In article ,
"Charly Crash" wrote:

"zxcvbob" wrote

Is your "friend" who ruined you old saw gonna help pay for the new one?

Bob

Actually, they offered to replace it. But, I think I will counter with a
come on over and have a beer, forget about it.

Next time you loan him a saw he will ruin it again but buy you a 6-pack.

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
TURTLE

"Charly Crash" wrote in message
In the market for a decent small 2 cycle chainsaw. Have searched Google,
but this is a new year and thought maybe there's some new recommendations.

I have/had a 14" Crapsman about 25 yrs. old. Did the ultimate no-no and
loaned it out. It came back froze solid, the person "thought" they could
get by running it on straight gas! The saw did its duty over the years, and
I think I have to have the funeral for it.

Anyways, looking for something that will get light use for about 20 hrs. a
year.

Thanks.

This is Turtle.

You might not be interested in quality but if so just get you a Stihl MS-310
with standard 18" bar to cut anything and run it a life time without loaning it
to your friend with no 2 cycle oil.

TURTLE

Tony Hwang

Charly Crash wrote:
In the market for a decent small 2 cycle chainsaw. Have searched Google,
but this is a new year and thought maybe there's some new recommendations.

I have/had a 14" Crapsman about 25 yrs. old. Did the ultimate no-no and
loaned it out. It came back froze solid, the person "thought" they could
get by running it on straight gas! The saw did its duty over the years, and
I think I have to have the funeral for it.

Anyways, looking for something that will get light use for about 20 hrs. a
year.

Thanks.

Hi,
Stihl saw. Can't go wrong.
Tony
Charly Crash

Thanks for the replies. I definitely will check out Stihl. Has anyone had
a John Deere chainsaw? Good reviews or?

Tony Hwang

zxcvbob wrote:
Charly Crash wrote:

In the market for a decent small 2 cycle chainsaw. Have searched Google,
but this is a new year and thought maybe there's some new
recommendations.

I have/had a 14" Crapsman about 25 yrs. old. Did the ultimate no-no and
loaned it out. It came back froze solid, the person "thought" they could
get by running it on straight gas! The saw did its duty over the
years, and
I think I have to have the funeral for it.

Anyways, looking for something that will get light use for about 20
hrs. a
year.

Thanks.

Is your "friend" who ruined you old saw gonna help pay for the new one?

Bob

Hi,
If it quit naturally I'd be OK but killing the saw from misuse would
make me upset. Anyhow today's Craftsman stuff is not like old ones.
Tony
T.D. Hilton

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
m...

"T.D. Hilton" wrote in message

Well, my only experience has been with my father's Homelites. He's had

the
same two for over 30 years and they run like champs.

Troy

Old ones will last another 30 years. New ones may last 30 days. They
turned to making crap a few years back. Tossed mine after a few hours and
bought a Stihl.

A shame really. Homelite used to be really good stuff. My Father's already
told me he's tuned one up for me to have. Now anytime you can hand a
chainsaw down from generation to generation...that's quality. Can you
imagine, I'll be the 3rd generation owner of this saw.

Troy

Drifter

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 17:30:47 GMT, "Charly Crash" wrote:

In the market for a decent small 2 cycle chainsaw. Have searched Google,
but this is a new year and thought maybe there's some new recommendations.

I have/had a 14" Crapsman about 25 yrs. old. Did the ultimate no-no and
loaned it out. It came back froze solid, the person "thought" they could
get by running it on straight gas! The saw did its duty over the years, and
I think I have to have the funeral for it.

Anyways, looking for something that will get light use for about 20 hrs. a
year.

I have a small (14" bar) Stihl that has taken a lot of use and still
works great. I also bought a Husqvarna 455 Rancher this year but
haven't had to use it (usually by this time of the year I've had at
least one tree down in the driveway. Feeling lucky so far).

Drifter
"I've been here, I've been there..."

RMD

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 17:30:47 GMT, "Charly Crash" wrote:

In the market for a decent small 2 cycle chainsaw. Have searched Google,
but this is a new year and thought maybe there's some new recommendations.

I have/had a 14" Crapsman about 25 yrs. old. Did the ultimate no-no and
loaned it out. It came back froze solid, the person "thought" they could
get by running it on straight gas! The saw did its duty over the years, and
I think I have to have the funeral for it.

Anyways, looking for something that will get light use for about 20 hrs. a
year.

Thanks.

I know you said you wanted a two cycle engine unit, but since I got an
electric chain saw I hardly ever use my fuel chain saw.

The 14" electrics work better than any small fuel saw in my opinion.

I understand they need to be near to an electric supply, so one of
them may not suit your useage.

Ross

(To get email address ROT 13)

patrick mitchel

www.arboristsite.com has a chainsaw forum- scrol down and you'll find the
appropriate forum- good info there.

NoSpamFANatic

Stihl (new) has turned to crap now due to emission controls. Homelite is
made in mexico and absolute crap under any conditions. When the manual sez
saw is only intended for light and occasional use, you know your buying pure
crap.
I am shopping too and leaning heavy towards a echo 6000 instead of stihl or
husky till they sort out carb problems.
Old homelites are useless because parts no longer available. I seriously
get the feel that most peep answering these posts have never even owned a
saw and are just post-whores?
"RMD" wrote in message
[...]

Stormin Mormon

I hope the borrower bought you another saw. But I suspect s/he did not.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I have/had a 14" Crapsman about 25 yrs. old. Did the ultimate no-no and
loaned it out. It came back froze solid, the person "thought" they could
get by running it on straight gas! The saw did its duty over the years,
and
I think I have to have the funeral for it.

Stormin Mormon

Once a year or so when I need a saw, my Homelite PS-33 works nicely. Rebuilt
unit, and got it at Sam's Club. About $130. Not great, but it's good fun the
once in awhile I use it.

Last summer, my church had a work project. I learned that I need to check
the chain tension every time I gas up. Somewhere into the second tank, it
threw the chain. Ah, well. I wasn't the only fellow there who threw a chain,
so it didn't feel so bad.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I have/had a 14" Crapsman about 25 yrs. old. Did the ultimate no-no and
loaned it out. It came back froze solid, the person "thought" they could
get by running it on straight gas! The saw did its duty over the years,
and
I think I have to have the funeral for it.

Hi, Charly.

No such thing- Deere does not make saws. Most such I've seen (YMWV)
are actually Poulans. Not a problem here- still have a 25-yr-old that
runs like new after many hundreds of hours' use, besides a
current-generation lightweight that I've come to like very much.
Priced waaay below the Yurpeens.

HTH,
John

Charly Crash wrote:
Thanks for the replies. I definitely will check out Stihl. Has

anyone had
a John Deere chainsaw? Good reviews or?

Duane Bozarth

Charly Crash wrote:

Thanks for the replies. I definitely will check out Stihl. Has anyone had
a John Deere chainsaw? Good reviews or?

JD-branded, yes...the one I have was Dad's and is at least 30 years old
and while not used all that often where trees don't grow , it's still
working well...now for the life of me I can't even recall which
manufacturer it was altho got some small replacement parts just last
summer. Here JD-everything is a good option where we don't have much
else for service/parts locally and those that do have tend not
last--they'll be a JD dealer here for as long as I'm around, I'm sure...
Duane Bozarth

TEAM 3M wrote:

JD is homelite and all are made in mexico crapola. avoid unless like
being ripped off. very lite duty and guide actually sez they are for
'occassional use' only

Well, maybe some are now...I know the one I have isn't, but it's
probably approaching 30 yr old by now...as noted, I don't recall which
was the parts replacement, but it wasn't Homelite.