Robert11

Default Pulse Type Gas Forced Hot Air Heating Furnaces ?

Hello;

Will be replacing a gas, forced hot air heating furnace in a typical
split level home, here in the Northeast.

Am trying to learn more about the basics, prior to starting calling
in contractors for quotes.

I remember at one time the Pulse Type of furnace was quite popular.
I have read about over the years some good things about them, and a slew of
real horror stories.

Are they still made ?

Pros and cons for this type ?

Noise level still "bad" ?

As far as the regular gas furnaces go, Carrier and Am. Standard still the
yardsticks to go by ?

Thanks,
B,

m Ransley

Pulse? wasnt that Lennox`s lemon? Are they still made? Consumer reports
just put out a 7 year survey in the Feb issue on reliability. American
Standard was the top brand. Goodman the bottom.

David Efflandt

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 09:56:26 -0500, Robert11 wrote:
Hello;

Will be replacing a gas, forced hot air heating furnace in a typical
split level home, here in the Northeast.

I remember at one time the Pulse Type of furnace was quite popular.
I have read about over the years some good things about them, and a slew of
real horror stories.

When I bought my first house, I noticed what sounded like a car idling at
night and thought somebody was casing the neighborhood. While raking
leaves, I noticed 2 PVC pipes on the side of my neighbor's house that
sounded like a generator running (with PVC exhaust?). Turned out to be
one of those pulse furnaces. While the noise does not really bother me
next door across a double lot now that I know what it is, it does bother
the owner of the furnace who had made various unsuccessful attempts to
muffle it.

I instead enjoy good old fashioned comfortable 1-pipe steam heat.
Tom Lachance

Robert11 wrote:
Hello;

Will be replacing a gas, forced hot air heating furnace in a typical
split level home, here in the Northeast.

Am trying to learn more about the basics, prior to starting calling
in contractors for quotes.

I remember at one time the Pulse Type of furnace was quite popular.
I have read about over the years some good things about them, and a slew of
real horror stories.

Are they still made ?

Pros and cons for this type ?

Noise level still "bad" ?

As far as the regular gas furnaces go, Carrier and Am. Standard still the
yardsticks to go by ?

Thanks,
B,

In the long run, you are probably better off to stay with a brand name
with parts availability and knowledgeable repair people.

HeatMan

"David Efflandt" wrote in message
[...]

You don't hear that often, liking the steam stuff. Congratulations!

Have you ever been to the Wall?

http://forums.invision.net/Main.cfm?CFApp=2

m Ransley

"The Wall" a moderated group where normal polite pros answer anybodys
questions about anything regarding HVAC

Alt hvac an unmoderated bunch of PJMs cronies who tell every H.O. to
east **** and in following PjM have a crap for a group

Joseph

"m Ransley" wrote in message
"The Wall" a moderated group where normal polite pros answer anybodys
questions about anything regarding HVAC

Alt hvac an unmoderated bunch of PJMs cronies who tell every H.O. to
east **** and in following PjM have a crap for a group

You peeked...

There are still a good group of techs there if you don't mind wading
through the "crap". It's only a few guys over there who bug it up. It must
be their egos are too big, but with a few plonks it works out ok. I
actually prefer directing the HOs to this NG. And have come here to help
where I can. I believe you have to be careful when giving advice on
repairing electrical and gas equipment for safety reasons.

Joseph

Hot Air Central Heating ron UK diy 6 January 17th 04 02:43 PM
No central heating - HW only threewayvalve and tank therm John UK diy 7 September 29th 03 09:18 AM
Pool water in central heating system Andy Hall UK diy 1 September 2nd 03 05:01 PM
Underfloor heating SC UK diy 112 August 27th 03 02:12 PM
Further to my last post entitled 'Flushing and treating central heating question' David W.E. Roberts UK diy 0 July 29th 03 07:15 PM