Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
ups.com...
There's one part of this story I don't get. You say Ford wouldn't use
the Robertson because he couldn't buy an exclusive to the design. But
did he GET an exclusive on the Phillips? Or any other design?

Greg Guarino

Probably not. I've read stories about Ford and he was somewhat a tyrant and
demanded special consideration. If he could not get an exclusive, he'd
probably use anything else just so as not to give in to Robertson.

Chip C

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
There's one part of this story I don't get. You say Ford wouldn't

use
the Robertson because he couldn't buy an exclusive to the design.

But
did he GET an exclusive on the Phillips? Or any other design?

Greg Guarino

Probably not. I've read stories about Ford and he was somewhat a

tyrant and
demanded special consideration. If he could not get an exclusive,

he'd
probably use anything else just so as not to give in to Robertson.

As I heard it, Robertson wanted to set up a single-supplier deal where
Ford would buy all the parts and tools from him. Nobody smart enough to
run a car company would fall for that.

Chip C

MUADIB®

Why is it that tool kits (drill bit sets, screwdriver sets, etc.) made in
the US never include Robinson bits? They are far superior to Phillips or
slot drivers. Just curious.

I have lots of them that came in sets. Hardly ever use any or them.
There are many brands and yeah, they call 'em whatever they feel like.

The issue I have had in the past with Robertson tips/bits, is that
they were cheap and the tips (the driving part ) broke off too easily.
They are superior on many ways, but have a tendency ( only in the ones
I've had to use , and they probably weren't made by Robertson) to do
just that............break. I suppose , reading the other posts in
this thread, that it is very possible that the "real deal" made by the
original manufacturer, may be the "Cadillac" of the type. Or the
"Snap-On" if you will.

I have had both bits, and screwdrivers and didn't have to leave Texas
to get them, both came in sets and singles when I did use them several
years back. I think nowadays, I am more likely to buy Phillips type
screws but with ACR knurls on them to "grip" the screw better, or some
type of those newfangled "deck screws"

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

http://www.angelfire.com/retro/sster...IN%20PAGE.html

one small step for man,.....
One giant leap for attorneys.
Michael Daly

On 11-Feb-2005, MUADIB® wrote:

The issue I have had in the past with Robertson tips/bits, is that
they were cheap and the tips (the driving part ) broke off too easily.

The Robertson screwdrivers I get today are far superior to a lot of
the ones made decades ago. I used to get annoyed with how fast the
tip would wear, but now they last a long time - even when used in
a power driver.

Mike