Default Undersink water filter recommendation

I'm thinking about an undersink water filter and have a few questions:

1) are they worth it?
2) do they work?
3) any recommondations or advice on what to avoid?

thanks in advance

SJF

"g" wrote in message ...
I'm thinking about an undersink water filter and have a few questions:

1) are they worth it?
2) do they work?
3) any recommondations or advice on what to avoid?

thanks in advance

If you have a problem, like bad tasting water, they can help. Use a
charcoal cartridge.

If you haven't identified a problem, what will you gain. You're on a
municipal water system aren't you. They're generally safe, healthwise.
SJF

Edwin Pawlowski

"g" wrote in message ...
I'm thinking about an undersink water filter and have a few questions:

1) are they worth it?

Yes

2) do they work?

Yes, very well. I would not be without it due to the tase of our town
water.

3) any recommondations or advice on what to avoid?

I have an Insta Pure and use the IR-10 cartridge. In my case I was able to
mount the filter in the basement below the sink. I find it easier that
playing inside the sink cabinet. If we did not have a filter we would be
buying bottled water to drink.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

I'm thinking about an undersink water filter and have a few questions:

1) are they worth it?
2) do they work?
3) any recommondations or advice on what to avoid?

***********

I love mine.

It was inexpensive, easy to install (I used a $19.95 faucet for it) and
it improved the taste of my coffee noticeably.

Lewis.

**********

Abe

I'm thinking about an undersink water filter and have a few questions:

1) are they worth it?
2) do they work?
3) any recommendations or advice on what to avoid?

thanks in advance

-----------------
Most definitely worth it for the clean taste and peace of mind.

I stand by the omni-filter 2 cartridge filter under my kitchen sink.
The output from the filters goes to a tee that feeds the fridge's ice
maker and a sink mounted filtered water spout. I change the filters
every 6 months (I just mark my calendar). It's a great setup. However,
if I were to do it again, I would have gone with a whole house dual
filter system to protect the entire water run in my house.

The model I have is the OT32 Series A:
http://www.omnifilter.com/undersink.htm

The filter combination I use is GAC1 for the first filter, then CB3
for the second filter:
http://www.omnifilter.com/replacement.htm#Undersink

I order the filters in six packs from either FilterPros.com or
Omni-filters.com depending on who has the best overall deal at the
time. By ordering 6 packs, I have 3 years worth of filters on hand,
and save a bunch of money over buying them at Lowes or Home Depot:
http://www.filterpros.com/newsite/products.php?CMP=4
http://omni-filters.com/cartgac1.htm
http://omni-filters.com/cartcb3.htm

Hope that helps.

Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Abe wrote:
I'm thinking about an undersink water filter and have a few questions:

1) are they worth it?
2) do they work?

The model I have is the OT32 Series A:
http://www.omnifilter.com/undersink.htm

Noted. Does anybody have any direct experience with beach water? We've been
using bottled water for making coffee and that crappy tap water for everything
else, including the icemaker. It's not the best to be sure. I'd love to stop
buying 5 gallon jugs of bottled water if I could get that funny taste out of the
tap water. The ice cubes ruin the taste of drinks as far as I'm concerned.

To the smart asses out the "beach water" does not refer to ocean water; it's
the water supplied at the tap in a coastal community.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Buck Turgidson

I stand by the omni-filter 2 cartridge filter under my kitchen sink.
The output from the filters goes to a tee that feeds the fridge's ice
maker and a sink mounted filtered water spout. I change the filters
every 6 months (I just mark my calendar). It's a great setup. However,
if I were to do it again, I would have gone with a whole house dual
filter system to protect the entire water run in my house.

The model I have is the OT32 Series A:
http://www.omnifilter.com/undersink.htm

I have the same filter and it is one of the best things I've ever purchased.
You can see a difference in boiled filter water vs boiled tap water. The
tap water has a milky look to it when it boils, while the filtered water is
crystal clear. You don't notice it until you have a filter, then you'll
notice it the first time you boil water and it seems "different".

Bob Bowles

Your comment about 'playing inside the sink cabinet' reminded me of
the following post;

Subject: If I needed a reason *NOT* to get a cat, other than my
allergies, and not being at all fond of them, this would be it:

We've all had trouble with our animals, but I don't think anyone can
top this one.

Calling in sick to work makes me uncomfortable. No matter how
legitimate my excuse, I always get the feeling that my boss thinks I'm
lying.

On one recent occasion, I had a valid reason but lied anyway, because
the truth was just too darned humiliating. I simply mentioned that I
had sustained a head injury, and I hoped I would feel up to coming in
the next day. By then, I reasoned, I could think up a doozey to
explain the bandage on the top of my head.

The accident occurred mainly because I had given in to my wife's
wishes to adopt a cute little kitty. Initially, the new acquisition
was no problem.

Then one morning, I was taking my shower after breakfast when I heard
my wife, Deb, call out to me from the kitchen. "Honey! The garbage
disposal is dead again. Please come reset it."

"You know where the button is," I protested through the shower pitter-
patter and steam. "Reset it yourself!"

"But I'm scared!" she persisted. "What if it starts going and sucks me
in?"

There was a meaningful pause and then, "C'mon, it'll only take you a
second."

So out I came, dripping wet and buck naked, hoping that my silent
outraged nudity would make a statement about how I perceived her
behaviour as extremely cowardly. Sighing loudly, I squatted down and
stuck my head under the sink to find the button. It is the last action
I remember performing.

It struck without warning, and without any respect to my
circumstances. No, it wasn't the hexed disposal, drawing me into its
gnashing metal teeth. It was our new kitty, who discovered the
fascinating dangling objects she spied hanging between my legs. She
had been poised around the corner and stalked me as I reached under
the sink. And, at the precise moment when I was most vulnerable, she
leapt at the toys I unwittingly offered and snagged them with her
needle-like claws.

I lost all rational thought to control orderly bodily movements,
blindly rising at a violent rate of speed, with the full weight of a
kitten hanging from my masculine region. Wild animals are sometimes
faced with a "fight or flight" syndrome. Men, in this predicament,
choose only the "flight" option. I know this from experience. I was
fleeing straight up into the air when the sink and cabinet bluntly and
forcefully impeded my ascent. The impact knocked me out cold.

When I awoke, my wife and the paramedics stood over me. Now there are
not many things in this life worse than finding oneself lying on the
kitchen floor buck naked in front of a group of "been-there,
done-that" paramedics. Even worse, having been fully briefed by my
wife, the paramedics were all snorting loudly as they tried to conduct
their work, all the while trying to suppress their hysterical
laughter--and not succeeding.

Somehow I lived through it all. A few days later I finally made it
back in to the office, where colleagues tried to coax an explanation
out of me about my head injury. I kept silent, claiming it was too
painful to talk about, which it was.

"What's the matter;" they all asked, "Cat got your tongue?"

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 10:50:17 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

I have an Insta Pure and use the IR-10 cartridge. In my case I was able to
mount the filter in the basement below the sink. I find it easier that
playing inside the sink cabinet. If we did not have a filter we would be
buying bottled water to drink

Paul

Last summer they were repairing the mains on our street and connected us all
to a temporary main via rubber hoses during the repair work. The water
tasted terrible (like drinking out of a garden hose that sits in the sun
all day)

I didn't have time to do a lot of research, so I went to Home Depot and
grabbed the mid-priced GE dual-filter undercounter setup (under $100 IIRC).
Very happy with it, it took care of the taste/odor problem completely.

FWIW, I wouldn't necessarily have 100% faith in the municipal water supplies
anymore - seems to me there are more stories in the news lately about big
screwups in the distribution systems that cause temporary boil orders, etc.

-- Paul

"g" wrote in message ...
I'm thinking about an undersink water filter and have a few questions:

1) are they worth it?
2) do they work?
3) any recommondations or advice on what to avoid?

thanks in advance

Duffaukid

On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 21:13:12 -0800, "g" wrote:

I'm thinking about an undersink water filter and have a few questions:

1) are they worth it?
2) do they work?
3) any recommondations or advice on what to avoid?

thanks in advance

The reverse osmosis units are the only ones I would consider.

dk

Matt

He's right. The forward osmosis units are complete crap.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Duffaukid" wrote in message

The reverse osmosis units are the only ones I would consider.

dk

Charcoal filters remove the bad taste. RO removes more of the minerals
leaving the water flat. May be good for some areas, but for most, in it
not the best solution.

Posted to alt.home.repair

creavolution wrote:
responding to
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ation-210-.htm
creavolution wrote:
I\'m thinking about an undersink water filter and have a few questions:
1) are they worth it?

They remove chlorine and chlorine byproducts, lead, toxic heavy metals,
and many synthetic chemicals, and they improve the taste of water.

2) do they work?

Mine does!

3) any recommondations or advice on what to avoid?

Avoid anything that\'s super expensive. You can get a quality undersink
filter for just over $100. Aquasana is one of the most trusted brands. You
can get a coupon code for Aquasana filters at
http://countertopwaterpurifiers.com

Hi,
I installed one myself ~5 years ago. It has 3 prefilters and RO 1 after
f filter and UV sterilizer. Water becomes 99% pure. It does work. You
can taste the difference, coffee, tea, etc.

Water Softeners, good or bad?? Martin Hirsch Home Repair 23 July 14th 04 03:27 AM
need hot water FAST PV Home Repair 38 January 30th 04 01:15 AM
Thankless or Tankless hot water heaters [email protected] Home Repair 6 January 29th 04 03:01 AM