twfsa

Default Digging after Concrete is removed

I had a section of concrete removed from my garage to install a sump drain
so it would be possble to wash the car in the garage in the winter.

The dirt under the concrete in like concrete, I need to go down at least 3
ft, the soil is clay, I was think of watering it down a bit.

Tom

JerseyMike

"twfsa" wrote in message news:lF5Nd.39$53.2@lakeread07...
I had a section of concrete removed from my garage to install a sump drain
so it would be possble to wash the car in the garage in the winter.

The dirt under the concrete in like concrete, I need to go down at least 3
ft, the soil is clay, I was think of watering it down a bit.

Tom

how wide is the hole/opening for the drain? i'm thinking you can use one of
those gas powered post hole diggers to get yourself the depth you need, then
finish by hand/shovel.

mike............

twfsa

Finished digging down 3 1/2 ft down and further down I went the easiers it
was to dig, but it was harder to get the dirt out of the hole. Will try and
post pictures.

Tom

http://usera.imagecave.com/TomF/GarageDrain015.jpg

http://usera.imagecave.com/TomF/GarageDrain020.jpg

"JerseyMike" wrote in message

"twfsa" wrote in message
I had a section of concrete removed from my garage to install a sump
drain
so it would be possble to wash the car in the garage in the winter.

The dirt under the concrete in like concrete, I need to go down at least
3
ft, the soil is clay, I was think of watering it down a bit.

Tom

how wide is the hole/opening for the drain? i'm thinking you can use one
of
those gas powered post hole diggers to get yourself the depth you need,
then
finish by hand/shovel.

mike............

Getty

"twfsa" wrote
Finished digging down 3 1/2 ft down and further down I went the easiers

it
was to dig, but it was harder to get the dirt out of the hole. Will try

and
post pictures.

Tom

http://usera.imagecave.com/TomF/GarageDrain015.jpg

http://usera.imagecave.com/TomF/GarageDrain020.jpg

I must be missing something here. In your _drain020.jpg_, it looks as if
your floor slants towards the door, with the one side of the concrete floor
rolled away from the wall. Is this an obtical illusion? I know here in my
area, it's common for the floor to be poured with a 3" height difference,
the lowest point at the garage door. If it's not an illusion, exactly what
will the sump accomplish on a totally flat floor? Also, is this for a sump
pump, or where do you plan to have the water exit?

Curious minds want to know. TX

Getty

"twfsa" wrote
The floor has an 8 in drop from the front of the garage to the door, The
garage is 30 ft deep so no water will flow out the garage door, as there

is
plenty of room ahead of the drain to wash the car.

No optical illusion the floor does slant away from the wall.

I plan on useing an extra old shop vac to remove the water, then dump it

in
the street.

Tom

Ok, call me feeble minded, but now I'm really confused. It looks like you
will have a grate approx. 3' in front of the door. Are you saying the water
will run into the sump, but it wouldn't run to the door and out if the door
was lifted 1/2"? I'm just trying to understand why you would go through all
the trouble of putting in a sump if all you had to do was crack the door
open.

Doesn't sound like fun using a shop vac, if you absolutely must have a sump,
I would put in an electric pump with proper piping.

Harry K

twfsa wrote:
Finished digging down 3 1/2 ft down and further down I went the

easiers it
was to dig, but it was harder to get the dirt out of the hole. Will

try and
post pictures.

Tom

Beg or buy a clamshell post hole digger. That will remove dirt from
any size hole down to barely bigger than the tool and as deep as the
handles will reach.

Harry K

twfsa

No water will escape the garage if the door is open a 1/2 inch, washing the
car when the outside temp is in the single digits tend to ice up the
driveway.

This is a spare garage as I have a 2 car attached on the upper level of my
ranch, so other than washing the car in cold weather the garage is empty.

I think I can wash my car and only empty the sump once, as the water will
not be running constant.

Tom

"Getty" wrote in message

[...]

JerseyMike

"twfsa" wrote in message
No water will escape the garage if the door is open a 1/2 inch, washing

the
car when the outside temp is in the single digits tend to ice up the
driveway.

This is a spare garage as I have a 2 car attached on the upper level of my
ranch, so other than washing the car in cold weather the garage is empty.

I think I can wash my car and only empty the sump once, as the water will
not be running constant.

Tom

unless you have a shop vac bigger than 16gal., i think you'll be using more
than 16 gallons of water to wash your car, even w/ the hose off, but i could
be wrong.