User N

Default Power receptacle wiring

I have an existing power receptacle and wiring whe

a) power comes into the bottom outlet
b) additional receptacles are daisy chained off the bottom outlet
c) the top plug is switched... an additional hot line comes off the
bottom outlet, goes to the switch, and then goes to the top
outlet.

Everything works OK. However, when I went to replace the
receptacle with a new and different colored one I noticed the
wiring and started to wonder about something. Bear with me,
for this is hard to ask without a diagram...

Lets name the power feed wires coming into the bottom outlet
HOTin and NEUTRALin. Lets name the wires that feed the
other receptacles HOTout and NEUTRALout. Lets name the
switch wires SWITCHin and SWITCHout. The receptacles
I'm working with have screw terminals and corresponding push
in type terminals. So there are options in terms of how the wires
are connected. For example, HOTin could be pushed in and
HOTout could be connected to the corresponding screw terminal.
Or vice versa. Or both could be connected to the screw terminal.
Etc.

As it stands right now... HOTin and NEUTRALin are connected
to the lower outlet's push in terminals, HOTout and NEUTRALout
are connected to the lower outlet's screw terminals, and SWITCHout
is also connected to the lower outlet's screw terminal. What I got to
wondering about is whether there is a "proper" way to make such
connections and whether what I have is it. Or whether it really matters.
IOW, is it OK that power comes in via push in terminals and goes out
to other receptacles via corresponding screw terminals? Or should
it be the other way around? Or should both in and out be connected
to the screw terminals?

Hope you follow what I'm asking ;-) Thanks in advance for an info.

Noozer

As it stands right now... HOTin and NEUTRALin are connected
to the lower outlet's push in terminals, HOTout and NEUTRALout
are connected to the lower outlet's screw terminals, and SWITCHout
is also connected to the lower outlet's screw terminal.

I don't know if it's kosher to use the screws and push in terminals to
daisychain circuits... It does work so should be OK.

BUT you should only have ONE wire under a terminal screw. If you can't do
that, then you put a short wire under the screw and join it to the other
wires with a wirenut.

AZGuy

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 06:25:10 GMT, "Noozer" wrote:

As it stands right now... HOTin and NEUTRALin are connected
to the lower outlet's push in terminals, HOTout and NEUTRALout
are connected to the lower outlet's screw terminals, and SWITCHout
is also connected to the lower outlet's screw terminal.

I don't know if it's kosher to use the screws and push in terminals to
daisychain circuits... It does work so should be OK.

BUT you should only have ONE wire under a terminal screw. If you can't do
that, then you put a short wire under the screw and join it to the other
wires with a wirenut.

And if wiring the two outlet's (in the one duplex outlet) so ones on a
switch be sure to break off the connecting shunts between the two.
--
Elbridge Gerry, of Massachusetts:

"What, sir, is the use of militia? It is to prevent the
establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty. . .
Whenever Government means to invade the rights and liberties of
the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order
to raise a standing army upon its ruins." -- Debate, U.S. House
of Representatives, August 17, 1789
User N

"AZGuy" wrote in message ...
On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 06:25:10 GMT, "Noozer" wrote:

As it stands right now... HOTin and NEUTRALin are connected
to the lower outlet's push in terminals, HOTout and NEUTRALout
are connected to the lower outlet's screw terminals, and SWITCHout
is also connected to the lower outlet's screw terminal.

I don't know if it's kosher to use the screws and push in terminals to
daisychain circuits... It does work so should be OK.

FWIW, I finally managed to stumble across some discussions regarding
that point:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load...223018702.html
http://www.iaei.org/magazine/03_e/03_UL_sept_oct.pdf
http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/viewtopic.php?p=63881

If I'm reading them correctly, it is technically OK that I have power coming
into the push in (backstab) terminals and then going out the binding screw
terminals. But apparently alot of experienced folk don't like to use the
backstab terminals.

BUT you should only have ONE wire under a terminal screw. If you can't do
that, then you put a short wire under the screw and join it to the other
wires with a wirenut.

Apparently, the house was wired before that was required by code.
Assuming it is required. In any case, I can understand why it would
be undesireable.

And if wiring the two outlet's (in the one duplex outlet) so ones on a
switch be sure to break off the connecting shunts between the two.

Well the neutral side IS shunted, the hot side is NOT shunted since
hot is fed to the top plug via the wall switch.

At this point I'm thinking that since the neutral side is shunted, I could
utilize both top and bottom binding screws and thereby eliminate the
neutral going into the backstab without pigtailing. But on the hot side
I'd pigtail into the binding screw.

toller

There are two kinds of back wired outlets; the good ones that are actually
clamps worked by the side screws, and the crap one that are just springs.
You should not be using the crap ones for any purpose; it is just not worth
using crap to save $1. You should not be using both the back and sides of
the good ones because you can't reliably pressure both.

Why not do it the right way? A pigtail is several wires held together with
a wirenut. One is line, the rest are load. In your case, you have the line
coming in, a load to your first outlet, a load to the rest of the outlets,
and a load to the switch. (Yes, you could just as easily move ONE of the
loads to the load side of your first outlet). It is no more difficult,
but is rather more reliable.

Underground wiring questions... guest987 Home Repair 52 February 2nd 05 01:52 AM
Gun control vindicated Cliff Metalworking 45 February 1st 05 07:38 AM
Making custom power connectors Rick Metalworking 17 January 1st 05 06:15 PM
Generator FAQ Gunner Metalworking 0 January 23rd 04 05:24 PM
Power supplies are burning out jbr Electronics Repair 19 January 22nd 04 05:47 AM