Stormin Mormon

Default Cellulose blown into trailer roof

I live in a "mobile home" in NYS. With zero degrees outside, I've got
icicles hanging down the sides of my trailer. Lost heat.

The roof domes up a little bit, in the center. Hmm. Airspace? Is it possible
to get a DIY cellulose blower, and pump in a couple bags of fluff to
insulate the roof?

I did a google search, but coulnd't find anything on the matter.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

William Deans

Greetings,

You might look into installing rigid foam insulation over your existing roof
and then EPDM. The best time to do this is when you could use a new roof
anyway (I don't know what shape your current roof is in).

Hope this helps,
Wiliam

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
I live in a "mobile home" in NYS. With zero degrees outside, I've got
icicles hanging down the sides of my trailer. Lost heat.

The roof domes up a little bit, in the center. Hmm. Airspace? Is it

possible
to get a DIY cellulose blower, and pump in a couple bags of fluff to
insulate the roof?

I did a google search, but coulnd't find anything on the matter.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
www.mormons.com

Speedy Jim

Stormin Mormon wrote:

I live in a "mobile home" in NYS. With zero degrees outside, I've got
icicles hanging down the sides of my trailer. Lost heat.

The roof domes up a little bit, in the center. Hmm. Airspace? Is it possible
to get a DIY cellulose blower, and pump in a couple bags of fluff to
insulate the roof?

I did a google search, but coulnd't find anything on the matter.

You can rent the blower at Big Box when you get the cellulose.

On one small job we used an electric leaf blower!
Hand-fed the stuff right into the blower impeller!
Worked great.

Jim
m Ransley

Often stores let you use the blower for free when you buy insulation
from them or it is real cheap to rent, is nothing up there, I mean you
looked.

Nehmo Sergheyev

- Stormin Mormon -
I live in a "mobile home" in NYS. With zero degrees outside, I've got
icicles hanging down the sides of my trailer. Lost heat.

The roof domes up a little bit, in the center. Hmm. Airspace? Is it

possible
to get a DIY cellulose blower, and pump in a couple bags of fluff to
insulate the roof?

- Nehmo -
Modern MH's already have insulation up there. You're going to have to
take a look to see what kind of space is left. And Home Depot (probably
other places too) will lend you a blower free if you buy _any amount_ of
cellulose. Your credit card has to be good enough, though.

--
*********************
* Nehmo Sergheyev *

Stormin Mormon

I'm sure a roof over would make a lot of sense. What do those cost? The
economy has been so terrible.....

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"William Deans" wrote in message
news:1107042959.123c7485c7988950f6f27d752d88b668@t eranews...
[...]

Stormin Mormon

When I had some floor up a couple weeks ago, it looked like it had about 1/8
inch of fiberglass on top of the tarpaper, or whatever was nailed to the
bottom of the floor joists. I'm not expecting to find much insullation up
there.

Yes, I do ahve a credit card. And maybe if I have insullation, I'll have
less credit card debt.

Thanks for the good thoughts.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Nehmo Sergheyev" wrote in message
- Stormin Mormon -
I live in a "mobile home" in NYS. With zero degrees outside, I've got
icicles hanging down the sides of my trailer. Lost heat.

The roof domes up a little bit, in the center. Hmm. Airspace? Is it

possible
to get a DIY cellulose blower, and pump in a couple bags of fluff to
insulate the roof?

- Nehmo -
Modern MH's already have insulation up there. You're going to have to
take a look to see what kind of space is left. And Home Depot (probably
other places too) will lend you a blower free if you buy _any amount_ of
cellulose. Your credit card has to be good enough, though.

--
*********************
* Nehmo Sergheyev *
*********************

ameijers

"Speedy Jim" wrote in message
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I live in a "mobile home" in NYS. With zero degrees outside, I've got
icicles hanging down the sides of my trailer. Lost heat.

The roof domes up a little bit, in the center. Hmm. Airspace? Is it

possible
to get a DIY cellulose blower, and pump in a couple bags of fluff to
insulate the roof?

I did a google search, but coulnd't find anything on the matter.

You can rent the blower at Big Box when you get the cellulose.

On one small job we used an electric leaf blower!
Hand-fed the stuff right into the blower impeller!
Worked great.

In a mobile, generally not enough air space to matter, and could cause more
problems than it solves, by trapping condensed moisture that now dries out
or has a place to drain. I'd recommend one of the double-roof systems,
where they glue foam to outside skin, and cover with preformed panels. Not
pretty, admittedly, but gives a much better R value.

aem sends...

Stormin Mormon

Someone told me about the blower rental at the store.

I woulda never thought of the leaf blower. Great idea, though.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Speedy Jim" wrote in message

You can rent the blower at Big Box when you get the cellulose.

On one small job we used an electric leaf blower!
Hand-fed the stuff right into the blower impeller!
Worked great.

Jim

PrecisionMachinisT

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
I live in a "mobile home" in NYS. With zero degrees outside, I've got
icicles hanging down the sides of my trailer. Lost heat.

The roof domes up a little bit, in the center. Hmm. Airspace? Is it

possible
to get a DIY cellulose blower, and pump in a couple bags of fluff to
insulate the roof?

I did a google search, but coulnd't find anything on the matter.

Just buy some styrofoam panels and put em up on the the roof, perhaps some
plastic sheeting on top of that so water dont cause a problem.........

Maybe hold it all down with some cinder blocks so the wind dont pick it
up???

--

SVL

willshak

On 1/29/2005 6:49 PM US(ET), Stormin Mormon took fingers to keys, and
typed the following:

I live in a "mobile home" in NYS. With zero degrees outside, I've got
icicles hanging down the sides of my trailer. Lost heat.

The roof domes up a little bit, in the center. Hmm. Airspace? Is it possible
to get a DIY cellulose blower, and pump in a couple bags of fluff to
insulate the roof?

I did a google search, but coulnd't find anything on the matter.

Depending upon when the 'mobile home' was built, there might be
insulation in there already.
My father had a 12' wide mobile home in DE with a lagoon out back. He
owned the home and the lot it was on. He had a gable roof built over the
top of it, and had that insulated.

--
Bill
PrecisionMachinisT

wrote in message

would you do that to your home putz?

The bigger question is would Stormy do that to *his* home ???

BTW--DON'T feed the TROLLS !!!

--

SVL

PrecisionMachinisT

"Justin" wrote in message
On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 14:41:37 -0800, "PrecisionMachinisT"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .

would you do that to your home putz?

The bigger question is would Stormy do that to *his* home ???

BTW--DON'T feed the TROLLS !!!

Silly me, I thought your post was the troll.

Good to see some folks still have a sense of humor.

Cheers,

--

SVL

Stormin Mormon

Ah lak it but ah ain gat no shaguhn ain no peekup. Dat be the good ole boy
way to due hit.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"PrecisionMachinisT" wrote in message

Just buy some styrofoam panels and put em up on the the roof, perhaps some
plastic sheeting on top of that so water dont cause a problem.........

Maybe hold it all down with some cinder blocks so the wind dont pick it
up???

--

SVL

PrecisionMachinisT

"willshak" wrote in message

My father had a 12' wide mobile home in DE with a lagoon out back. He
owned the home and the lot it was on. He had a gable roof built over the
top of it, and had that insulated.

Hmmm--kinda begs the question....

Ya spose maybe he might of done things a little differently had there not
been a lagoon out back ???

--

SVL

lp13-30

Stormy, it can be done, and probably fairly easily. I have done such a
project. What you need to do is cut an opening in the very top of the
two end walls at the highest points and look in and see exactly what you
have in there. The one I worked on had about 3/4" at the most, and
absolultely none in spots. We got about 25-30 feet of 3/4" pipe to use
as a handle and taped the insulation blower hose to it. The guy stuck
the hose into the opening as far as it would go, and slowly pulled it
out, while moving it side to side to try and get as even coverage as
possible.I am sure they were not able to get 100% coverage, but they did
manage to get quite a bit of insulation blown in. I don't remember
exaactly how many bags it was, but it was a bunch. I made a HUGE
difference in heating and cooling. I hired that one done for $300 about
8 years ago. I am working on another one right now, and am going to try
to do it myself. I already checked and it also has nearly no insulation
there now. (about a 1972-3 14X66 approx) The only thing I am
planning to do differently is to use fiberglass instead of that chopped
up newspaper they call cellulose insulation. The fiberglass is much
lighter, and will not grow mold if it ever gets moisture. Both of the
ones I am talking about are over-roofed with "R" panel, so leaks are
less of a worry on them. The over-roof also helps on cooling greatly,
which is the main concern here in S.Tex. BTW, I have already checked
at HD and Lowes, and the only blown-in insulaion they sell is the
cellulose, and will lend the machine free with the purchase of the
insulation. I found the fberglass at a regular lumber yard for about the
same price, but will have to see if I can find the machine to rent at a
rental yard-- can't imagine it would be that expensive. Good luck.
Larry

Stormin Mormon

You know, I did give it some thought, to use that method. Stick in a long
pipe, and wiggle it around. My trailer is 14 x 65 feet long, so it owuld
take three lengths of pipe. I played with the idea of dumping the
insullation through the center of PVC pipe. I wouldn't want to be 20 feet
out from the end of the trailer, trying to hold a length of pipe 10 feet off
the ground..... though it is a funny thought.

Your lengths of iron pipe to guide the tip, now that might just work. Back
it out, and then unscrew a length off.... that could work.

Like you say, it's not possible to get even coverage, but it would be a lot
better.

I worked with fiberglass some years ago, on a temporary job. I worked one
shift, and couldn't get my clothes to stop being itchy. Even washing them
twice. I went back the next day and resigned. Very politely, too. I ended up
discarding the clothes. I'm not happy with the idea of fiberglass.

My heat bill last month was $230, and that's with a 90% plus furnace that I
installed earlier t his year. And a setback thermostat.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"lp13-30" wrote in message
[...]

Stormin Mormon

Reduce melting would be nice, but the real goal is to reduce the heat bill.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Justin" wrote in message
On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 11:14:46 -0600, (lp13-30) wrote:

OR even better add two wind turbines on the roof.

I have seen turbines alone reduce condensation and melting to almost nil.

Stormin Mormon

It is an intersting thought. I do believe the ceiling to roof area has ZERO
air circulation. But, providing a blast of cold air under the roof seems to
me like it would blow the heat away faster. Doubt I've got very much
moisture in the ceiling. Don't have any unresolved wet spots.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Justin" wrote in message
news On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 22:56:21 GMT, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Reduce melting would be nice, but the real goal is to reduce the heat bill.

Turbines will do that as well.
Heat means condensation, means damp insulation, means reduces R value.
Air circulation will reduce your heating bill.
Very few mobiles have effective air circulation under the roof.

berkshire bill

"willshak" wrote in message

My father had a 12' wide mobile home in DE with a lagoon out back. He
owned the home and the lot it was on. He had a gable roof built over the
top of it, and had that insulated.

Hmmm--kinda begs the question....

Ya spose maybe he might of done things a little differently had there not
been a lagoon out back ???

--

SVL

There are other possibilities. Was the roof built over the trailer, the
lagoon or both?

Bill

cellulose blown in attic effi Home Repair 8 October 3rd 04 12:27 AM
Pitch and gravel roof? Terry UK diy 3 February 25th 04 02:43 PM
Pitch and gravel roof? Terry Home Repair 3 February 25th 04 02:43 PM
Blown in Cellulose Insulation Stephen Hawkins Home Ownership 4 October 11th 03 03:03 PM
OT - Unbraked trailer safety requirements *Secondary Couplings* Richard Savage UK diy 0 July 19th 03 02:12 PM