jj3000

Default Adding toilet and shower advice

My house is one level with attic and crawl space, it has one bathroom
only, but, my master bedroom has a "room" that has a sink, and a door
that also lead to the bathroom.
My plan is to convert this sink room to a full bath room. the existing
sink and cabinet is rather large and I could see a small vanity,
toilet, and stand up shower can be added to this room making a 2nd
bathroom.

The question I have is of course the plumbing, can the supply all tap
off the faucet of the sink even for the shower?

A fan and vent needs to be added, can it go up the attic and tee into
the existing bath's vent? The 2 fans of the new and old bathroom
would only be about 5-6' apart. That way I do not have to cut up the
roof.

I need some advice for the draining, I assume the sink right now
drains to some main line under the house. Would the toilet and shower
be all using the same drain?

Would I need to replace the drywall with concrete board?

Is there anything else I didn't think of?? any advice is appreciated.
Speedy Jim

jj3000 wrote:
[...]

It's not recommended/allowed, but it's possible to run both
fans out one vent.

The Hot/Cold supply are the least of your worries.
The drainage may be the biggest issue. There are some quite
complex problems to be looked at which need professional help.
Have a plumbing contractor look at the situation and advise
you of costs. In fact, maybe do this first so you can see
if the budget will allow the project.

I would also make a detailed scale drawing of the room
and proposed layout and take it to the town building dep't
to see if it will meet code requirements.

Jim

Speedy Jim gives once again good advice.
I would like to second his suggestion to do careful planning.
I happen to be in the process of doing that very thing for a couple.
The amount of space a fixture takes up and the amount of space needed
to use it comfortably are large. Don't forget things like towel bars,
paper holders, and the like.
TB

Colbyt

"jj3000" wrote in message
om...
[...]

I can tell from the way you worded the questions that you are inexperienced
in plumbing.

The biggest issue you face is drain lines and vents for those drain lines.
The toilet needs a 3" pipe and you may or may not be able to tap into the
existing sewer and have it work. If you can drain the toilet, the shower
and sink can tie into the same line.

Your best bet would be to get a few estimates and see what some pros say.

Colbyt

HELP... water leak at base of toilet when showering Steve Home Repair 11 February 22nd 18 05:29 PM
Plumbing problem: toilet won't fill and shower pressure low. Stoic Home Repair 3 May 25th 04 01:35 AM
Toilet flushing & Hot Shower Andy Frank Home Repair 8 February 6th 04 12:48 PM
Shower advice Martin UK diy 15 January 22nd 04 03:13 PM
Electric water heater for a shower and hot tap Neill UK diy 2 September 21st 03 04:04 AM