Junior Member

Exclamation Help! Cracks in wall, some parts big, what to do?!?**Pics**

Hello,

Here are some pics of my parents house (I'm living with them while in college). Anyway, I was in my room, and I stood up a second to look out the window (next to my bed), put my hand on the wall, and started feeling something crumbling under my hand! Had I not pushed against the wall I would have never known that "crack" was there, but when I pushed against it, it started to cave in. I then traced it (pushing agsinst the wall, following the crackling) and found this! Is it my parents' house just settling?

I'm thinking, the previous owners just painted and filled over it, otherwise the cracks would have been visible if they happened since we moved (and before the previous owner painted over it)? Or would it be possible for it to track and the paint not crack with it? Before it looked 100% normal? We live in a two story house. The upstairs we live in, and the downstairs is a fullsized basement. So what should we do?

Picture of crack going down the wall

Here's the link to an upclose and big picture of the crack
http://img96.exs.cx/img96/3530/bigpi...cknwall5ta.jpg
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanF
[...]

Help? What do you think I should do?
Ross Mac

[image: http://img96.exs.cx/img96/9296/cracknwall16tq.jpg]

--
JonathanF

It looks like the house is settling and the cracks were just filled and
painted over as you suggested. You should get a structural engineer to come
by and check it out. If you know a builder he may also be able to give you a
clue....How long have your folks owned the home? I ask because in most
states they have disclosure laws and if this was covered up by the previous
owners then your next trip may be to an attorney.....good luck, Ross

DanG

Jonathan,
You really need to stop posting the same stuff so many times.

The cracks look like normal, garden variety cracks in a plaster
wall. You can v out the cracks and use either setting drywall
compound or Imperial plaster to repair the crack. Particular
attention needs to be paid to the finish texture of your repair
work if you want to truly disguise the patch. This will require
repainting the wall to cover the work. There is a fair chance the
crack will reappear.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"JonathanF" wrote in message

JonathanF Wrote:
[...]

Eric

JonathanF wrote:

[...]

Is that a lathe and plaster wall? My Dad's house was made like that and it
was always cracking - not much you can do as far as i know except strip the
wall and put up sheet rock.
Eric
--
King County Washington: Voter Fraud Capitol of the US

Junior Member

I didn't mean to post it three times, this website was slow and and so it just kept "loading" but wouldn't post, so the third time I posted it work, but then the other two popped up.

We've been in the house for about 12 years or so I'm guessing, so I guess we can't do anything then about it besides fix it ourselves?
Norminn

JonathanF wrote:
Hello,

Here are some pics of my parents house (I'm living with them while in
college). Anyway, I was in my room, and I stood up a second to look out
the window (next to my bed), put my hand on the wall, and started
feeling something crumbling under my hand! Had I not pushed against
the wall I would have never known that "crack" was there, but when I
pushed against it, it started to cave in. I then traced it (pushing
agsinst the wall, following the crackling) and found this! Is it my
parents' house just settling?

There are black specks on the wall - holes or artifact? Is the wall
adjacent to an exterior doorway? Good place for termites to locate.
Had annual termite inspections? That is where I would start.

video on plastering TXXT123 UK diy 9 September 2nd 04 11:21 PM
Fixing a wall plate on a dense concrete block wall Jas Virdee UK diy 5 July 28th 04 09:00 AM
Botched repairs over cracked plaster David Home Repair 4 April 29th 04 02:13 PM
"Damp" internal wall - initial measurements made. Any ideas? Clive Long,UK UK diy 5 January 30th 04 09:28 AM
Concrete retaining wall issue revisited jeff Home Ownership 1 August 20th 03 12:06 AM