Ross Mac

"JonathanF" wrote in message

JonathanF Wrote:
Hello,

Here are some pics of my parents house (I'm living with them while in
college). Anyway, I was in my room, and I stood up a second to look out
the window (next to my bed), put my hand on the wall, and started
feeling something crumbling under my hand! Had I not pushed against
the wall I would have never known that "crack" was there, but when I
pushed against it, it started to cave in. I then traced it (pushing
agsinst the wall, following the crackling) and found this! Is it my
parents' house just settling?

I'm thinking, the previous owners just painted and filled over it,
otherwise the cracks would have been visible if they happened since we
moved (and before the previous owner painted over it)? Or would it be
possible for it to track and the paint not crack with it? Before it
looked 100% normal? We live in a two story house. The upstairs we
live in, and the downstairs is a fullsized basement. So what should we
do?

Picture of crack going down the wall
[image: http://img96.exs.cx/img96/9296/cracknwall16tq.jpg]

Here's the link to an upclose and big picture of the crack
http://img96.exs.cx/img96/3530/bigpi...cknwall5ta.jpg

Help? What do you think I should do?

--
JonathanF

It looks like the house is settling and the cracks were just filled and
painted over as you suggested. You should get a structural engineer to come
by and check it out. If you know a builder he may also be able to give you a
clue....How long have your folks owned the home? I ask because in most
states they have disclosure laws and if this was covered up by the previous
owners then your next trip may be to an attorney.....good luck, Ross