HotRod

Default Tub repair

Have a client that has a 30 year old, corner tub unit that can not be
replaced without removing 1/2 the bathroom, this was obviously installed and
then the contractor closed all of the doors and such around that opening.
Anyway the tub is a dark brown plastic tub (what ever it's called) and is in
great shape except for the floor, I'm wondering if there is anyway to
restore the brown? Is there some way to buff out the scratches and
resurface? I was wondering if buffing it with was would help restore the
look? Any ideas?

Art

The refinish guys actually paint it. Can last for several years but will
then probably peel though we moved before we had any peeling. There are
other guys who install another layer of plastic on top and can cover all the
tile with a solid wall. Looks nice in showroom but I have no idea how it
looks in real life.

"HotRod" wrote in message
Have a client that has a 30 year old, corner tub unit that can not be
replaced without removing 1/2 the bathroom, this was obviously installed
and then the contractor closed all of the doors and such around that
opening. Anyway the tub is a dark brown plastic tub (what ever it's
called) and is in great shape except for the floor, I'm wondering if there
is anyway to restore the brown? Is there some way to buff out the
scratches and resurface? I was wondering if buffing it with was would help
restore the look? Any ideas?

HotRod

Since the tub is 30 years old I don't think it's smart adding a lot of money
to this project, I honestly think the whole bathroom needs to be re-done but
I don't have the time for such a big project right now and my client always
wants me to do all of the work. It's for one of my neighbours, a lady who
lives in a 6000 SQF house all by herself, five full bathrooms, four
fireplaces etc etc. She was hoping that just some small cosmetic work would
help the house.... The house is in great shape but outdated. I just finished
retiming several rooms at her request but she refused to replace any of the
old cheap flat brown doors or consider painting them. So nice white trim,
dark brown doors, pink walls. ANYONE ELSE LAUGHING?

Bless her heart

Charles Spitzer

"HotRod" wrote in message
Have a client that has a 30 year old, corner tub unit that can not be
replaced without removing 1/2 the bathroom, this was obviously installed
and then the contractor closed all of the doors and such around that
opening. Anyway the tub is a dark brown plastic tub (what ever it's
called) and is in great shape except for the floor, I'm wondering if there
is anyway to restore the brown? Is there some way to buff out the
scratches and resurface? I was wondering if buffing it with was would help
restore the look? Any ideas?

if it's truly plastic, it could be buffed out back to a high gloss. however,
did they even install plastic tubs 30 years ago? sure it's not a porcelain
tub?

HotRod

I know for sure it's not porcelain, there is way to much give in the tub
surround. The tub and shower is a corner unit covering 5' in each direction
and is all one piece, I'm almost positive it's not fibreglass just because
the shower part is has some give to it.

Scooby

"HotRod" wrote
[...]

Never be concerned about saving a customer money at your expense. Never mix
business with pleasure. I'm in no way implying not to do charity work. But
your "client" doesn't sound as if she should be concerned about
repairing/remodeling the correct way. You must like headaches and/or really
don't do this for a living. You must learn to tell potential clients you
want no part of a bandaid fix, or you will be married to the bandaid from
here on out.

HotRod

1) I do not do this for a living.
2) This actually pays better than what I do for a living.
3) I have a lot of clients like this ad as long as they understand what they
are getting into the decision is theirs to make, NOT mine. They pay very
well and are very friendly, why would I turn that work down.

HotRod

Found out the tub is a 25 year old Showerlux, chocolate brown. I think I may
try using a 1500 grit wet sanding paper on it and then buffing out the
remainder. Still not sure what the exact material is though.

willshak

On 1/13/2005 8:59 AM US(ET), HotRod took fingers to keys, and typed the
following:

Found out the tub is a 25 year old Showerlux, chocolate brown. I think I may
try using a 1500 grit wet sanding paper on it and then buffing out the
remainder. Still not sure what the exact material is though.

It could be fiberglass. If so, be careful sanding, you'll may remove the
gel coat.
The Showerlux site says that they are made from a combination of
fiberglass (for strength) and Lucite acrylic. It doesn't say what they
used 25 years ago.
http://www.showerlux.uk.com/rdas/papp.asp?cmd=COFABT

--
Bill
HotRod

I've emailed showerlux to see if they can tell me what to do, I'd replace
the unit if it didn't involve demoing the whole bathroom to get a new one
in.

Oscar_Lives

"HotRod" wrote in message
Have a client that has a 30 year old, corner tub unit that can not be
replaced without removing 1/2 the bathroom, this was obviously installed
and then the contractor closed all of the doors and such around that
opening. Anyway the tub is a dark brown plastic tub (what ever it's
called) and is in great shape except for the floor, I'm wondering if there
is anyway to restore the brown? Is there some way to buff out the
scratches and resurface? I was wondering if buffing it with was would help
restore the look? Any ideas?

This site has what you are looking for:

www.tubgirl.com