Virgil Kent

Default HELP: Paint a radiator?

Hello,

I live in an apartment and have a radiator that appears to have been
painted over many times. The outermost layer is a white latex that has
yellowed.

I'd like to paint the radiator and the steam pipes connected to it black
or I saw an aluminum-colored paint at Home Depot. Can I use regular
paints on the radiator? Please note that I have a two-year old
daughter....are there any health concerns about using the wrong kind of
paint on pipes that heat up?

Also, I'm not concerned about impeding the amount of heat coming from
the radiator by painting it. My apartment gets PLENTY of heat.

Thanks!!!

--Virgil
LFR

"Virgil Kent" wrote in message .. .
Hello,

I live in an apartment and have a radiator that appears to have been
painted over many times. The outermost layer is a white latex that has
yellowed.

I'd like to paint the radiator and the steam pipes connected to it black
or I saw an aluminum-colored paint at Home Depot. Can I use regular
paints on the radiator? Please note that I have a two-year old
daughter....are there any health concerns about using the wrong kind of
paint on pipes that heat up?

Also, I'm not concerned about impeding the amount of heat coming from
the radiator by painting it. My apartment gets PLENTY of heat.

Thanks!!!

--Virgil

Don't use regular paint...look for radiator paint

PJx

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 13:49:36 GMT, Virgil Kent
wrote:

Hello,

I live in an apartment and have a radiator that appears to have been
painted over many times. The outermost layer is a white latex that has
yellowed.

I'd like to paint the radiator and the steam pipes connected to it black
or I saw an aluminum-colored paint at Home Depot. Can I use regular
paints on the radiator? Please note that I have a two-year old
daughter....are there any health concerns about using the wrong kind of
paint on pipes that heat up?

Also, I'm not concerned about impeding the amount of heat coming from
the radiator by painting it. My apartment gets PLENTY of heat.

Thanks!!!

--Virgil

I'd use an automotive Engine paint from the auto parts store. It
won't fade or yellow Like you said, you have plenty of heat.

PJ

Edwin Pawlowski

"bro" wrote in message news:hrkEd.989$SS6.476@trnddc07...
Very interesting link.

Mike

"HeatMan" wrote in message
http://www.heatinghelp.com/newsletter.cfm?Id=38

It is interesting. They also point out that coal fired heaters are only
about 50% efficient.

I would have though that the metallic paint would have provided more heat by
conduction than is lost by radiation compared to other paints.

1200 degree High heat spray paint stinks, literally Dan Musicant Metalworking 11 August 21st 20 01:03 PM
Paint formula changes av Home Repair 27 May 28th 14 08:02 AM
Question about latex paint which is solidifying in the can Peter Palma Home Repair 1 August 2nd 04 01:59 PM
Benjamin Moore paint types jeffc Home Ownership 1 August 19th 03 04:51 AM