PeteXX

Default Sears Battery Pack

I ahve a Sears drill with a rechargeable battery pack. The battery pack
will no longer recharge. Can these be repaired? Is the cost too high?
Thanks.

Travis Jordan

PeteXX wrote:
I ahve a Sears drill with a rechargeable battery pack. The battery
pack will no longer recharge. Can these be repaired? Is the cost
too high? Thanks.

Repaired? Not usually, unless you want to attempt it yourself by opening the
case and seeing if the batteries inside are a common enough type to be
replaceable. There are some companies that offer rebuilt battery packs -
try Googling for them.

As to cost...."too high" is in the mind of the poster.

Art

Sears sells replacements but according to Consumer Reports, latest models
are so good it is often better to buy a new drill with battery instead of
replacing a battery.

"PeteXX" wrote in message
newsKbDd.11111$EG1.870@lakeread04...
I ahve a Sears drill with a rechargeable battery pack. The battery pack
will no longer recharge. Can these be repaired? Is the cost too high?
Thanks.

Joseph Meehan

PeteXX wrote:
I ahve a Sears drill with a rechargeable battery pack. The battery
pack will no longer recharge. Can these be repaired? Is the cost
too high? Thanks.

You may find your local batteriesRus type store may be able to rebuild
it cheap. You can also buy a new battery. However depending on the age of
the drill and the quality of the drill, you should at least price out the
cost of a new drill and maybe a upgraded model. Those batteries are
expensive. I just upgraded my 12V drill for a 18V with more features and a
lot more power for just a few dollars over the cost of a new battery. Look
for sales on the new drill, the old batteries are not likely to go on sale.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

PJx

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 09:15:53 -0500, "PeteXX"
wrote:

I ahve a Sears drill with a rechargeable battery pack. The battery pack
will no longer recharge. Can these be repaired? Is the cost too high?
Thanks.

No one will repair it 'chep'. You can however, buy tabbed
batteries on ebay and replace the defective batteries yourself (if you
can solder).

Jim Yanik

PJx wrote in
:

wrote:

I ahve a Sears drill with a rechargeable battery pack. The battery pack
will no longer recharge. Can these be repaired? Is the cost too high?
Thanks.

No one will repair it 'chep'. You can however, buy tabbed
batteries on ebay and replace the defective batteries yourself (if you
can solder).

He could get an estimate from a store that does battery rebuilds.
He could take the model number of the drill/batt.pack to Sears and see what
a new pack costs.
Then he could determine whether it's worthwhile to repair or replace the
pack,or go for a new drill.(hopefully with TWO batt.packs)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Gideon

Buying a new drill/battery/charger is almost always a better choice. That's
assuming that you don't have a fairly modern, high-voltage, top-of-the-line
drill. Purchasing an individual replacement battery is expensive.

On the low end, you can pick up a drill/battery/charger combo at reasonable
voltage under $20 from Harbor Freight, Homier, etc. Even if you have to order
on-line and pay shipping, it is economical. The batteries will usually have
less capacity then higher cost units - this is due to intentional slight
undersizing or to lost cell capacity do to the age of the units. Not a big
problem. I have friends who have walked into Harbor Freight and bought 6 or 8
cheap drills because they cost just a few dollars more than the cost of the
battery packs. This way they've got extra drill bodies and extra chargers.

I've got a very comprehesive Black and Decker 14.4 volt setup with many tools,
batteries and chargers. I've watched for great sales and closeouts on this
system. For example, I bought one extra case, drill, light, charger and two
batteries for much less than the list price for just the 2 batteries.

As for your existing drill and battery: It usually isn't that difficult to cut
open the existing pack and replace the cells inside. Sometimes you may need a
dremmel tool to fit generic replacement cells inside the case if the
manufacturer purposely used non-standard sizes to prevent this. Sears is one
culprit for such games. The same advise goes for cordless phone battery
packs - often one needs to "Dremmel out" bits of the handset interior to fit
in replacement cells which are slightly larger than the intentionally sub-sized
originals. Any battery pack can be replaced - it's just a matter of how
difficult the manufacturer intentionally made the task, how handy your are, and
the value of your time.

I hope this helps.

Duane Bozarth

Gideon wrote:

[...]

Any sizable town will have one or more places that have the tools and
expertise to rebuild virtually any pack, almost always at reasonable
cost...
George E. Cawthon

Jim Yanik wrote:
PJx wrote in
:

wrote:

I ahve a Sears drill with a rechargeable battery pack. The battery pack
will no longer recharge. Can these be repaired? Is the cost too high?
Thanks.

No one will repair it 'chep'. You can however, buy tabbed
batteries on ebay and replace the defective batteries yourself (if you
can solder).

He could get an estimate from a store that does battery rebuilds.
He could take the model number of the drill/batt.pack to Sears and see what
a new pack costs.
Then he could determine whether it's worthwhile to repair or replace the
pack,or go for a new drill.(hopefully with TWO batt.packs)

Or he could go to Harbor Freight and get a new drill (with
battery pack) for $14.
patrick mitchel

Or he could go to Harbor Freight and get a new drill (with
battery pack) for $14.

I hope he has better luck with the "drillmaster" drill- the harbor freight
bottom end drill- than i did. while the drill itself is ok (i bought the 12v
and discovered that the thing had space in the pack for 2 more cells), the
batteries themselves self-discharge at a surprising rate-2 days from a full
charge to nothing.I bought a bunch of the packs on sale and was going to use
the cells to rebuild other packs. It didn't work that way- first the cells
were 1300mah cells- pretty feeble in comparo to the 1800-2200 mah that the
typical sub c cell, second, they didn't take kindly to the 9.6 makita
fastcharge(the drill I bought the additional packs for). After a couple of
cycles, they were dead to the worldI ended up buying surplus cells from an
electronics surplus place that were out of date but still held a decent
charge. If I'd bought the cells from "batteryspace.com , I woulda paid
pehaps twice the price than the surplus cells. which were double the cheapie
drillmaster cells- but they would have been matched and 1800 mah. There's a
big variety of cells that are useful- some are meant for fast charge, some
aren't, some also have a higher self discharge rate than others- then
there's nimh cells that are better than nicads when it comes to power- up to
3000mah) for the same size cells but may not take the same # of cycles
before they're ready to be "recycled".I read of one estimate that nicads
will go 1000-1500 cycles before they're "dead" nimh are 500-1000 cycles and
the latest lithium ion cells possibly less than 200 cycles before dead. What
bugs me is the trend to ****can the drill when the packs call it quits
because the tech has improved in the new drill (more features, less weight,
more power). We're tossing a lot of material ...because of the "cheapness"
of a new one. Pat

Stormin Mormon

Harbor Freight has drills with rechargable batteries. Soemtime down about
$15 for a drill and battery and charger. They also have replacement
batteries. I got two 12 volt drills, $15 each, and a couple batteries $10
each.

I have long since earned back the cost of the drills.

I doubt it's cost effective to repair it. Even the replacement batteries can
end up costing more than it's worth.

My good rechargable drill is a Makita, and I'm very pleased with it. One
friend uses Panasonic, and he's very pleased with that.

--

Christopher A. Young
This space intentionally left blank

"PeteXX" wrote in message
newsKbDd.11111$EG1.870@lakeread04...
I ahve a Sears drill with a rechargeable battery pack. The battery pack
will no longer recharge. Can these be repaired? Is the cost too high?
Thanks.

Jim Yanik

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

My good rechargable drill is a Makita, and I'm very pleased with it.
One friend uses Panasonic, and he's very pleased with that.

New battery sticks for my Makita 9.6V drill are only $29.00,available at HD
or the local Harbor Freight store.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
PJx

On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 10:19:44 -0800, "patrick mitchel"
wrote:

[...]

I've got two Black and Decker drills in my junk box- battery pack
costs more than a new drill.

PJx

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 17:16:49 -0600, Duane Bozarth
wrote:

Gideon wrote:

[...]

Sorry, but that's not true. Their cost is about the same as buying
a new drill with new battery pack.

Jim Yanik

PJx wrote in
:

I've got two Black and Decker drills in my junk box- battery pack
costs more than a new drill.

Maybe you should have bought worthwhile drills,like
Makita,Panasonic,DeWalt.

Packs(sticks) for my 9.6V Makita only cost $29.00,a new drill kit with 2
sticks costs around $130.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

....and he would have been out $14 and have a piece of total junk.

stan hofacker

wrote:

[...]

Hey are those the old 7.2 (3.6) round tubes batterys?I could use them if you
don't want them. Also need a old stanley 6.0 volt for a switch that no
longer made?
thanks!!!

Rein

On 7 Jan 2005 16:03:16 GMT, Jim Yanik . wrote:

PJx wrote in
:

wrote:

I ahve a Sears drill with a rechargeable battery pack. The battery pack
will no longer recharge. Can these be repaired? Is the cost too high?
Thanks.

No one will repair it 'chep'. You can however, buy tabbed
batteries on ebay and replace the defective batteries yourself (if you
can solder).

He could get an estimate from a store that does battery rebuilds.
He could take the model number of the drill/batt.pack to Sears and see what
a new pack costs.
Then he could determine whether it's worthwhile to repair or replace the
pack,or go for a new drill.(hopefully with TWO batt.packs)

I took a defective 18 volt craftsman into sears a couple months ago..
they no longer had repalcement batteries for it. the newer 18 volt
packs are differnet and won't fit. Ended up buying a new set. Got a
perfectly fine drill that I habe no battery for. How do these packs
open ? seems all sealed to me.

Jim Yanik

Rein wrote in
:

wrote:

I ahve a Sears drill with a rechargeable battery pack. The battery
pack will no longer recharge. Can these be repaired? Is the cost
too high? Thanks.

No one will repair it 'chep'. You can however, buy tabbed
batteries on ebay and replace the defective batteries yourself (if
you can solder).

He could get an estimate from a store that does battery rebuilds.
He could take the model number of the drill/batt.pack to Sears and see
what a new pack costs.
Then he could determine whether it's worthwhile to repair or replace
the pack,or go for a new drill.(hopefully with TWO batt.packs)

I took a defective 18 volt craftsman into sears a couple months ago..
they no longer had repalcement batteries for it.

Did you try the on-line (or local) Sears parts store,where you get
replacement parts for Sears products? Or just walk into a Sears store and
ask a clerk? All they know is what's on the shelves.(if that much)

the newer 18 volt
packs are differnet and won't fit. Ended up buying a new set. Got a
perfectly fine drill that I habe no battery for. How do these packs
open ? seems all sealed to me.

Battery pack plastic bodies are usually heat-welded.Takes some work to get
them open and still be able to re-close them.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik