Default Kilz paint is Great!

I saw Consumer report magazine rates Kilz highly on the 3rd spot in an
issue in Sept 2004 (I guess).

Therefore, I decided to go with Kilz instead of Behr. Since then, I
have painted over 4 large rooms using Kilz, and the results is
pleasantly good. I really just need one coat of paint (light-taupe,
light-yellow, and cream-light-pink) to cover my walls where there were
a few spots of dirt-brown , and dark brown due to metal scratches.

Due to an offer by American Traditions (AT) in summer 2004, I bought 5
gallons of variety of AT interior paints, mainly light colors as well.
I recently tried one cream orange on 2 parts of my wall, and I was
disappoited that it was sooo dilute. I really need to paint my interior
wall twice to get the full color. Also, part of the walls have primer
on; AT really needs 2 coat so that the primer will not bleed through.
However, by using Kilz, I just need 1 coat. I painted 2 walls in AT, 2
walls in Kilz.

We have no experience when started painting. Cutting corners is a
difficult task for us, especially when using AT, I need to cut the
corners twice! Kilz really helps!

effi

wrote in message
oups.com...
I saw Consumer report magazine rates Kilz highly on the 3rd spot in an
issue in Sept 2004 (I guess).

who were #1. and #2.?

Therefore, I decided to go with Kilz instead of Behr.

interestingly, kilz
http://www.masco.com/our_companies/masterchem.html
and behr
http://www.masco.com/our_companies/behr.html
are both owned by masco corp, which also owns (see referenced page)
http://www.masco.com/our_companies/index.html

[...]

Pat

MUADIB®

Snort enough of that Stuff and it's likely to make you post amazing
testimonials about the Kilz brand.......................LOL
That stuff is great unless you have to work the next
day..........gives me a pretty good high, then a headache. Only way to
get rid of the taste in your mouth, is a good beer............so maybe
that Kilz stuff ain't so bad after all................

[...]

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

http://www.angelfire.com/retro/sster...IN%20PAGE.html

one small step for man,.....
One giant leap for attorneys.
curmudgeon

Kilz is a primer, not a paint. And the Behr primer would have done just as
well given your description of the job. You've just discovered why primer
is a smart idea on most paint jobs though.
BTW...Behr paint is the #1 rated interior paint by Consumer Reports.

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Duane Bozarth

curmudgeon wrote:

Kilz is a primer, not a paint. And the Behr primer would have done just as
well given your description of the job. You've just discovered why primer
is a smart idea on most paint jobs though.

The most significant point that could be made of the thread back to
OP...

BTW...Behr paint is the #1 rated interior paint by Consumer Reports.

I think that depends on which type of paint and which issue/trial,
doesn't it? I've seen many different ones and a year later the same
paints are ranked differently (sometimes quite a bit different)....

That said, I've just finished (well I'm not actually finished) using
about 80 gal of Behr exterior high gloss and am pretty pleased at least
so far...we'll see how it holds up, but it went on and covered well...

jeffc

First of all, stop posting in HTML. Second, as usual when it comes to paint, this is ridiculous advice. There is no one brand that by itself is great paint. There is no such thing as Benjamin Moore paint. That is just a company. If you buy paint from them, you have to buy a specific type. BM makes good paint and they make cheap paint, just like all companies (well, I suppose some only make cheap paint.) There are quite a few top paints, and BM is not the only one who makes them, nor are they even necessarily the best.
"Pat" wrote in message ...
You must have bought that AT at Lowes. I know consumer reports rates it
high. But if you must buy a paint there. buy the Premium Olympic. I
found the AT very watery also. But to get the best coverage
in one coat buy Benjamin Moore. You will pay more but it will last and
cover in one coat.

Pat.

jeffc

"MUADIB®" wrote in message
Snort enough of that Stuff and it's likely to make you post amazing
testimonials about the Kilz brand.......................LOL
That stuff is great unless you have to work the next
day..........gives me a pretty good high, then a headache. Only way to
get rid of the taste in your mouth, is a good beer............so maybe
that Kilz stuff ain't so bad after all................

"That stuff"? What stuff? Kilz is a brand name, not the name of a specific
paint. It all depends on which of their products you use.

Duane Bozarth

jeffc wrote:

"That stuff"? What stuff? Kilz is a brand name, not the name of a specific
paint. It all depends on which of their products you use.

Yes, but all most places carry is the mildewcide primer...

George

wrote in message
oups.com...
I saw Consumer report magazine rates Kilz highly on the 3rd spot in an
issue in Sept 2004 (I guess).

Therefore, I decided to go with Kilz instead of Behr. Since then, I
have painted over 4 large rooms using Kilz, and the results is

Not suprising. Behr *used* to make good paint before they became the
flagship paint of HD.

Duane Bozarth

George wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
I saw Consumer report magazine rates Kilz highly on the 3rd spot in an
issue in Sept 2004 (I guess).

Therefore, I decided to go with Kilz instead of Behr. Since then, I
have painted over 4 large rooms using Kilz, and the results is

Not suprising. Behr *used* to make good paint before they became the
flagship paint of HD.

As noted in another posting, the ratings in CR have varied widely
among the same manufactuers depending on the particular paint and year
of test...my conclusion has been that either all the paints change
rapidly or (more likely, imo) the test judging criteria are more
variable.

In general, CR tests seem to me to be weighted heavily to subjective
measures and are not particularly in consonance w/ my own
experience/opinions of specific products.

In looking at data from various manufactuers while evaluating paints for
the barn (I don't want to do this again in my lifetime), I came to the
conclusion that for solids content, etc., there is little to choose from
amongst the major players w/ equivalent quality (read price point)
paints...I ended up w/ Behr for one primary reason--the margin in paint
is so narrow the only other distributor locally is Sherwin Williams and
I have not been partiularly pleased with the S-W paints I've used nor
that Dad had used when he last had the house and other outbuildings
painted. While not all the paint's fault (the prep work was poor at
best), what I've used has been much more difficult to apply and cover
than other. We've now used 60 of the 80 gal. of Behr exterior and it
has gone on and covered well. It's only been a few months so far, so
we've yet to see how well it actually holds up to the heavy UV and
wind/sand blasting we get...

We'll have a pretty decent comparison because I did use S-W on the shop
building and the house before the barn because it wasn't such a large
volume to make it worth the 60 mile drive to HD for the (roughly 10%)
price break.

IM(NS)HO, YMMV, $0.02, etc....
Jeff Wisnia

MUADIB® wrote:

Snort enough of that Stuff and it's likely to make you post amazing
testimonials about the Kilz brand.......................LOL
That stuff is great unless you have to work the next
day..........gives me a pretty good high, then a headache. Only way to
get rid of the taste in your mouth, is a good beer............so maybe
that Kilz stuff ain't so bad after all................

Inadequate ventilation maybe?

Or....check the labels on your computer:

http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/temp/intel.jpg

Jeff (Just kidding...)

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"
MUADIB®

LOL!

Inadequate ventilation maybe?

Or....check the labels on your computer:

http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/temp/intel.jpg

Jeff (Just kidding...)

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

http://www.angelfire.com/retro/sster...IN%20PAGE.html

one small step for man,.....
One giant leap for attorneys.

How many coats of primer on pre-stained oak? wendi Home Repair 26 June 13th 04 04:02 PM
Spraying Paint Tom Watson Woodworking 15 September 13th 03 02:41 PM
Is there a machine to paint trim/baseboard ? Mark & Shauna Home Repair 20 July 26th 03 02:35 PM