Jerry Anderson

Default Furnace chang over, Nat'l Gas to Propane

Edwin Pawlowski

"Jerry Anderson" wrote in message
I have a natural gas home furnace that I'm not using because I changed
it out for a more efficient one and thought it would be good to give it
to my brother-in-law to heat his garage with. The furnace is in very
good condition.

Contact the manufacturer as they will have the right information and perhaps
a kit to make the change. Usualoly, it is the orfice and regulator. The
people that made it know much more that I would.

geoman

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
.. .

"Jerry Anderson" wrote in message
I have a natural gas home furnace that I'm not using because I changed
it out for a more efficient one and thought it would be good to give it
to my brother-in-law to heat his garage with. The furnace is in very
good condition.

Contact the manufacturer as they will have the right information and
perhaps a kit to make the change. Usualoly, it is the orfice and
regulator. The people that made it know much more that I would.

I would never put an open flame burner in a garage, no matter WHAT the
manufacture says!

there are MANY codes covering this installation, and I personally think the
code should be,
NO OPEN FLAME SOURCE PERIOD in a garage area.

Rich

Greg O

"geoman" wrote in message

I would never put an open flame burner in a garage, no matter WHAT the
manufacture says!

there are MANY codes covering this installation, and I personally think

the
code should be,
NO OPEN FLAME SOURCE PERIOD in a garage area.

Rich

That seems a bit extreme!
As long as the installation is done to code I see no problem with open flame
in a garage! It is done all the time!
I have a 80% furance in my garage. It is hung at the ceiling, so I have the
requirement to be 18" off the floor more than covered!
Greg

Edwin Pawlowski

"geoman" wrote in message

there are MANY codes covering this installation, and I personally think
the code should be,
NO OPEN FLAME SOURCE PERIOD in a garage area.

Rich

There are codes and reasons for them. If there is no car in the garage,
care taken with stored chemicals, the danger is very minimal. Solid fueled
stoves are not permitted though as the embers can be hot for days after it
is "shut down" and be a danger if flammable chemicals are used.

Joe Bobst

Are controls for natural gas and propane the same?

yes, except for different diaphragms in the main control and different orifice
in the pilot control. In other words, they use the same body casting. Control
manufacturers usually have kits available for switching from one gas to the
other. Been there, done that some years ago, not difficult at all with the
right parts.
The propane orifice is smaller than the NG. This means you need new ones. Get
them from the furnace maker if you can, maybe start by calling their customer
service for a parts list, advice on conversion. Good luck.

Joe
TURTLE

"Jerry Anderson" wrote in message ...
I have a natural gas home furnace that I'm not using because I changed
it out for a more efficient one and thought it would be good to give it
to my brother-in-law to heat his garage with. The furnace is in very
good condition.
My question is this. The furnace that I have is as I said natural gas
and all my brother-in-law has is propane as he lives in out of town. We
thought it could be changed over to propane by changing the orifices in
all 5 burners but is the same control OK to keep or do we need a control
that is for propane. Are controls for natural gas and propane the same?
Also, how do we calculate what size orifices we need? Is the orifice
for propane bigger or smaller than for natural gas? Thanks to anybody
who can help. Jerry

This is Turtle.

First if you would take the time to give the model number of the furnace we might give you the orificet sizes and valve kit number for the furnace. Now do state the model number of the gas valve if you can also.

Now if you want to go by drill chart sizing for the orificets you will have to give the furnace input BTU rating and the gas valve model number and brand and you have stated 5 burners but are you sure it is 5 burners for that say it's a 125K btu rated furnace. . Until you give data about what you have don't expect a answer at all.

TURTLE

TURTLE

"Bubba" wrote in message
On 31 Dec 2004 14:51:43 GMT, osspam (Joe Bobst) wrote:

Are controls for natural gas and propane the same?

yes, except for different diaphragms in the main control and different orifice
in the pilot control. In other words, they use the same body casting. Control
manufacturers usually have kits available for switching from one gas to the
other. Been there, done that some years ago, not difficult at all with the
right parts.
The propane orifice is smaller than the NG. This means you need new ones. Get
them from the furnace maker if you can, maybe start by calling their customer
service for a parts list, advice on conversion. Good luck.

Joe

Wrong! Different diaphragms? Nope. Its a spring, honey. Diaphram stays
the same. Pressure changes though. Big Boom if you do it wrong.
Bubba

This is Turtle.

Hey Bubba , You really don't want to see what some of these hand do with gas
furnaces in the garage heat set ups. I seen one the other day where a fellow
pull the 24 mv thermocouple head out and clipped the head off it to run with out
a thermocouple and no pilot lite burner at all. Just done away with it and had a
wall switch on the side of it to close the W and R terminals. Then he has a 1
foot long charcoal liter to light it with and when it got warm in there he would
roll the pressure screw to lower the flame down low to idle it and try to run
all the time to keep the temperature right in there. No vent, no vent fan, and
just sitting in the middle of the shop with a 3/8" air hose suppling the natural
gas to it. Now he did have one safety on it and that was he had the 120 volt
power hooked up to the light switch and when he turned out the lights off it cut
a cellinoid off to the gas hose and power to the furnace. I told him when I get
rich I want one like that. That was a pretty thing to behold.

TURTLE