ADC

Default Fireplace Smell-Update

Update from previous post. I have a "campfire" smell coming from my
woodburning fireplace. It's been used once (this Christmas Eve) in at least
20 years.

Had a chimney sweep come out to clean it to see if it would help remove the
smell. He said there was no creosote build-up in the chimney and said he
would clean it, but it didn't need it. The smell seems to be coming from
the fire box (brick and morter).

Any other ideas on how to get rid of the smell? I've got a pan of baking
soda sitting there now. Anything better? TIA!

Matt

Maybe I'm missing something, but shouldn't a place where you burn wood
smell like a place where wood get's burned in?

I have 3 fireplaces, and strangely enough - they all smell like they
have had a fire in them at some point.

Sorry, don't really mean to come off as such a S.A., but I don't
understand the problem.

willshak

On 12/30/2004 10:48 AM US(ET), ADC took fingers to keys, and typed the
following:

Update from previous post. I have a "campfire" smell coming from my
woodburning fireplace. It's been used once (this Christmas Eve) in at least
20 years.

Do you mean it smells like burnt urine? :-)

--

Bill
ADC

i would expect the fireplace to smell like burnt wood, but not the rest of
the house. An odor is coming from the fireplace...my living room smeels
like burnt wood.
"Matt" wrote in message
ups.com...
Maybe I'm missing something, but shouldn't a place where you burn wood
smell like a place where wood get's burned in?

I have 3 fireplaces, and strangely enough - they all smell like they
have had a fire in them at some point.

Sorry, don't really mean to come off as such a S.A., but I don't
understand the problem.

ADC

dumb question...applied directly or sitting in a pan (like baking soda)?
"Marina" wrote in message
news:1104421943.0068236662106c5d7ff45b76f8956230@b ubbanews...
"ADC" wrote in
:

Update from previous post. I have a "campfire" smell coming from my
woodburning fireplace. It's been used once (this Christmas Eve) in at
least 20 years.

Had a chimney sweep come out to clean it to see if it would help
remove the smell. He said there was no creosote build-up in the
chimney and said he would clean it, but it didn't need it. The smell
seems to be coming from the fire box (brick and morter).

Any other ideas on how to get rid of the smell? I've got a pan of
baking soda sitting there now. Anything better? TIA!

Cider vinegar soaks up smells.

Matt

Have you closed the damper?
Might also consider a chimney cap to help block downdrafts.

Art

Get glass doors. The fireplace is an energy hog without them. Better yet
get a gas insert. Expensive but my cat loves it. Some are as efficient as
furnaces. In any case get a chimney cap made out of stainless steel and
also cap the masonry.

"ADC" wrote in message
i would expect the fireplace to smell like burnt wood, but not the rest of
the house. An odor is coming from the fireplace...my living room smeels
like burnt wood.
"Matt" wrote in message
ups.com...
Maybe I'm missing something, but shouldn't a place where you burn wood
smell like a place where wood get's burned in?

I have 3 fireplaces, and strangely enough - they all smell like they
have had a fire in them at some point.

Sorry, don't really mean to come off as such a S.A., but I don't
understand the problem.

ADC

Sorry--should have said you didn't come off as a "SA" earlier. I appreciate
the help. The damper was closed the morning after the fire. It's an
"aftermarket" topcap -style damper, so it forms an airtight seal on top of
the chimney. I have left it open today with the hopes of airing outthe box.
I also soaked the firebox with febreze. Since Texas only gets one or two
days a year where a fireplace is beneficial, I probably won't use it the
rest of the season. The steps taken today (see above) actually seem to help
a little. I've also stuffed insulation around the glass door frame flange
to prevent leaks when everything is closed off.

"Matt" wrote in message
oups.com...
Have you closed the damper?
Might also consider a chimney cap to help block downdrafts.

ADC

Have the doors...spent a pretty penny getting them custom made since the
opening was very large. I might look into an insert or just go ventless/gas
log. Thanks!
ink.net...

"ADC" wrote in message
i would expect the fireplace to smell like burnt wood, but not the rest of
the house. An odor is coming from the fireplace...my living room smeels
like burnt wood.
"Matt" wrote in message
ups.com...
Maybe I'm missing something, but shouldn't a place where you burn wood
smell like a place where wood get's burned in?

I have 3 fireplaces, and strangely enough - they all smell like they
have had a fire in them at some point.

Sorry, don't really mean to come off as such a S.A., but I don't
understand the problem.

Art

No reason to go ventless since you have a chimney. Ventless will definitely
have a smell so don't do it. In texas it may not be worth doing the
insert...... they cost quite a bit of change.

"ADC" wrote in message
Have the doors...spent a pretty penny getting them custom made since the
opening was very large. I might look into an insert or just go
ventless/gas log. Thanks!
ink.net...

"ADC" wrote in message
i would expect the fireplace to smell like burnt wood, but not the rest
of the house. An odor is coming from the fireplace...my living room
smeels like burnt wood.
"Matt" wrote in message
ups.com...
Maybe I'm missing something, but shouldn't a place where you burn wood
smell like a place where wood get's burned in?

I have 3 fireplaces, and strangely enough - they all smell like they
have had a fire in them at some point.

Sorry, don't really mean to come off as such a S.A., but I don't
understand the problem.

ADC

ahhh..good points. thanks!
ink.net...

"ADC" wrote in message
Have the doors...spent a pretty penny getting them custom made since the
opening was very large. I might look into an insert or just go
ventless/gas log. Thanks!
ink.net...

"ADC" wrote in message
i would expect the fireplace to smell like burnt wood, but not the rest
of the house. An odor is coming from the fireplace...my living room
smeels like burnt wood.
"Matt" wrote in message
ups.com...
Maybe I'm missing something, but shouldn't a place where you burn wood
smell like a place where wood get's burned in?

I have 3 fireplaces, and strangely enough - they all smell like they
have had a fire in them at some point.

Sorry, don't really mean to come off as such a S.A., but I don't
understand the problem.

willshak

On 12/30/2004 6:06 PM US(ET), Art took fingers to keys, and typed the
following:

No reason to go ventless since you have a chimney. Ventless will definitely
have a smell so don't do it. In texas it may not be worth doing the
insert...... they cost quite a bit of change.

Hmmmm.. My propane ventless fireplace doesn't smell, and neither does my
propane ventless gas range.

"ADC" wrote in message

Have the doors...spent a pretty penny getting them custom made since the
opening was very large. I might look into an insert or just go
ventless/gas log. Thanks!
hlink.net...

"ADC" wrote in message

i would expect the fireplace to smell like burnt wood, but not the rest
of the house. An odor is coming from the fireplace...my living room
smeels like burnt wood.
"Matt" wrote in message
egroups.com...

Maybe I'm missing something, but shouldn't a place where you burn wood
smell like a place where wood get's burned in?

I have 3 fireplaces, and strangely enough - they all smell like they
have had a fire in them at some point.

Sorry, don't really mean to come off as such a S.A., but I don't
understand the problem.

--
Bill
Matt P

"ADC" wrote in message
Update from previous post. I have a "campfire" smell coming from my
woodburning fireplace. It's been used once (this Christmas Eve) in at
least 20 years.

Had a chimney sweep come out to clean it to see if it would help remove
the smell. He said there was no creosote build-up in the chimney and said
he would clean it, but it didn't need it. The smell seems to be coming
from the fire box (brick and morter).

Any other ideas on how to get rid of the smell? I've got a pan of baking
soda sitting there now. Anything better? TIA!

Nice newsgroup. I just stumbled upon this and think its great. Here is my
two cents.

I have seen your problem in several houses including mine. I have noticed
the problem under several conditions typically in a very tight houses.
Backdrafts can occur when odors of burnt fuels that are usually always
venting up the flue are reversed. Flues almost always leak air. Usually hot
air escaping, but can be cool air falling. This can be caused by sudden
swings of atmospheric pressure and or temperature. It can also be caused by
combinations of kitchen and bathroom venting along with furnace operation.
All of that CFM of air that is leaving the house has to be made up
somewhere. Most houses leak appreciably to compensate, but if your house is
tight enough and under the right conditions you can actually suck fresh air
(and odors) right down the chimney. I have performed smoke tests on mine and
others and demonstrated the condition. I have since provided outside makeup
air to my house and resolved the problem of mechanical backdrafts.

Keeping the damper closed tightly helps tremendously. A chimney cap helps as
well. Keeping the fireplace as tight as possible will certainly add to the
solution. Check for leaks around your fireplace doors with a candle or other
device that can produce smoke. You will be surprised by how much air leaks
through glass doors even the high priced models. Caulk where possible with
high temp chimney caulk.

Going gas does not solve your problem except for the odor issue. It just
means you won't be able to smell the byproducts of combustion such as
dangerous gases that could harm you during a backdraft. Check it out first
before converting.

Matt

wb fireplace smell ADC Home Repair 4 January 20th 05 05:03 PM
Problem with gas fireplace Mike Home Ownership 0 October 26th 04 02:37 AM
Putting a Wood Stove in an Old Fireplace Rob Green Home Repair 3 July 2nd 04 03:29 AM
Problem: Squirrel in Fireplace Insert! Bob Chilcoat Metalworking 42 January 26th 04 07:56 AM
Fireplace dilemma Sultan of Cheap Home Repair 1 August 25th 03 07:54 PM