Clark Griswold

Default Cordless Drill

Since receiving a $100 gift certificate to the local HD, I am in the market
for a cordless drill. Any recommendations on voltage and brand? I don't want
something that will overheat and die in less than 3 months, likewise, I
don't need a $300 plus contractor drill.

I plan on installing kitchen cabinets in the near future.

Thanks, Chevy

Joseph Meehan

Clark Griswold wrote:
Since receiving a $100 gift certificate to the local HD, I am in the
market for a cordless drill. Any recommendations on voltage and
brand? I don't want something that will overheat and die in less than
3 months, likewise, I don't need a $300 plus contractor drill.

I plan on installing kitchen cabinets in the near future.

Thanks, Chevy

There are a lot of good ones out there. For the money and not heavy
duty use I like DeWalt. For most people I suggest a 12V or 18V model. 12
is lighter and should handle most anything most people may need.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Edwin Pawlowski

"Clark Griswold" wrote in message
Since receiving a $100 gift certificate to the local HD, I am in the
market for a cordless drill. Any recommendations on voltage and brand? I
don't want something that will overheat and die in less than 3 months,
likewise, I don't need a $300 plus contractor drill.

I plan on installing kitchen cabinets in the near future.

Thanks, Chevy

In most cases, the batteries go before anything else. The 18V Ryobi is
suitable for light use and the batteries are cheaper than most. The
batteries for the new 18V are cheaper than the 12v or 14.4v so that is why I
say get the 18v.

For heavy use, I'd go with the more expensive brands that will hold up
better over time.

James

I would get the DeWalt 18 volt. It is a good drill. 12 volt is just a
tad underpowered. I don't recall the cost, but must be in your general
price range.

Good Luck !!

--James--

Daremo

I asked Santa (I'm sleeping with her several times a week) for a Ryobi
toolkit. It was 18V and came with a drill, a sawzaw, a circular saw, a
flashlight, and a dustbuster-type vac. I got it! I think it rocks, I think
it was about 139-169 dollars.

Daremo

"James" wrote in message
I would get the DeWalt 18 volt. It is a good drill. 12 volt is just a
tad underpowered. I don't recall the cost, but must be in your general
price range.

Good Luck !!

--James--

Joe Bobst

Avoid Craftsman -- their batteries are really expensive to replace.

Battery specialty stores are popping up all over. Most can rebuild tool
batteries for about half the price of new. That still might mean $30-40 for
some hefty 18 V specimans, though.
HTH

Joe

Joseph Meehan

Joe Bobst wrote:
Avoid Craftsman -- their batteries are really expensive to
replace.

Battery specialty stores are popping up all over. Most can rebuild
tool batteries for about half the price of new. That still might mean
$30-40 for some hefty 18 V specimans, though.
HTH

Joe

All the replacement batteries are over priced. It is like the safety
razor and inkjet printer businesses. Give the printers away and make your
money on the ink. When I bought my last printer I paid less for the printer
after all the rebates than for my first replacement ink cartridges.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Dave

Agreed. Cunning marketing beats quality most of the time. For my
dollars, a corded drill is worth the extra effort to plug it in -- more
reliable, lasts longer, cheaper when all costs are considered, and often
more powerful.

Dave

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
Joe Bobst wrote:
Avoid Craftsman -- their batteries are really expensive to
replace.

Battery specialty stores are popping up all over. Most can rebuild
tool batteries for about half the price of new. That still might mean
$30-40 for some hefty 18 V specimans, though.
HTH

Joe

All the replacement batteries are over priced. It is like the safety
razor and inkjet printer businesses. Give the printers away and make your
money on the ink. When I bought my last printer I paid less for the
printer after all the rebates than for my first replacement ink
cartridges.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Edwin Pawlowski

"Dave" wrote in message
Agreed. Cunning marketing beats quality most of the time. For my
dollars, a corded drill is worth the extra effort to plug it in -- more
reliable, lasts longer, cheaper when all costs are considered, and often
more powerful.

In 90% of the cases, yes. The real problem with cords is when you are going
on top of the roof, out to the mailbox post, etc. I remember the first ads
for a cordless drill was a guy on top of a mast of a sailboat. You pay for
the convenience.

Joseph Meehan

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message
Agreed. Cunning marketing beats quality most of the time. For my
dollars, a corded drill is worth the extra effort to plug it in --
more reliable, lasts longer, cheaper when all costs are considered,
and often more powerful.

In 90% of the cases, yes. The real problem with cords is when you
are going on top of the roof, out to the mailbox post, etc. I
remember the first ads for a cordless drill was a guy on top of a
mast of a sailboat. You pay for the convenience.

Funny, I have been at the top of the mast on a sail boat doing repairs,
many years ago.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math