Default cordless drill battery charging

I just got a cordless drill (12v Hitachi) for the first time. Can the
battery be left in the charger continuously (like a cordless phone) so
that it's fully charged at all times or would this damage the battery
or charger? The only thing I know about the battery/charger is that
it's a Ni-Cad battery and the charger has an indicator light that turns
off once the battery is charged.

Thanks.

Charles Lerner

Leon

Better chargers charge and then go into a maintenance or trickle mode.
Yours may simply shut off and stay off until you remove and replace the
battery. I would check the Hitachi site and review information that may be
available. Or contact Hitachi.

wrote in message
oups.com...
I just got a cordless drill (12v Hitachi) for the first time. Can the
battery be left in the charger continuously (like a cordless phone) so
that it's fully charged at all times or would this damage the battery
or charger? The only thing I know about the battery/charger is that
it's a Ni-Cad battery and the charger has an indicator light that turns
off once the battery is charged.

Thanks.

Charles Lerner

Rumpty

I had a friend who lost his entire wood shop due to one of these "battery
chargers" that caught fire. Happen again? Probably not but I do not leave
my chargers turned on. You might consider putting the charger on a line
that gets shut off every nite. I always shut off my compressor line at the
fuse box along with the bench outlets, every nite. Throw the breakers and
lock the door.

--

Rumpty

wrote in message
oups.com...
I just got a cordless drill (12v Hitachi) for the first time. Can the
battery be left in the charger continuously (like a cordless phone) so
that it's fully charged at all times or would this damage the battery
or charger? The only thing I know about the battery/charger is that
it's a Ni-Cad battery and the charger has an indicator light that turns
off once the battery is charged.

Thanks.

Charles Lerner

Wilson Lamb

Borg has a little timer switch you can mount in a double electrical box with
an outlet and cord. Crank in the time for a full charge, or maybe less if
you haven't used the battery much, and let 'er go. Then you don't have
anything to remember and there's always a hot battery waiting.
Wilson
wrote in message
oups.com...
I just got a cordless drill (12v Hitachi) for the first time. Can the
battery be left in the charger continuously (like a cordless phone) so
that it's fully charged at all times or would this damage the battery
or charger? The only thing I know about the battery/charger is that
it's a Ni-Cad battery and the charger has an indicator light that turns
off once the battery is charged.

Thanks.

Charles Lerner

Lawrence Wasserman

In article .com,
wrote:
I just got a cordless drill (12v Hitachi) for the first time. Can the
battery be left in the charger continuously (like a cordless phone) so
that it's fully charged at all times or would this damage the battery
or charger? The only thing I know about the battery/charger is that
it's a Ni-Cad battery and the charger has an indicator light that turns
off once the battery is charged.

Thanks.

Charles Lerner

Some cordless tools come with "smart" chargers and some (usually the
cheapies) don't. You may have to RTFM*

(* Read The Fine Manual)
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Slowhand

wrote in message
oups.com...
I just got a cordless drill (12v Hitachi) for the first time. Can the
battery be left in the charger continuously (like a cordless phone) so
that it's fully charged at all times or would this damage the battery
or charger?

I have a hitachi 12v and I leave mine plugged in 24/7. It shuts off after
an hour or so.
SH

Slowhand wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
I just got a cordless drill (12v Hitachi) for the first time. Can

the
battery be left in the charger continuously (like a cordless phone)

so
that it's fully charged at all times or would this damage the

battery
or charger?

I have a hitachi 12v and I leave mine plugged in 24/7. It shuts off

after
an hour or so.
SH

Does the charger turn back on by itself after some time to "top off"
the battery if you don't use the battery for a while?

CL

Slowhand wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Slowhand wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
I just got a cordless drill (12v Hitachi) for the first time.

Can
the
battery be left in the charger continuously (like a cordless

phone)
so
that it's fully charged at all times or would this damage the

battery
or charger?

I have a hitachi 12v and I leave mine plugged in 24/7. It shuts

off
after
an hour or so.
SH

Does the charger turn back on by itself after some time to "top

off"
the battery if you don't use the battery for a while?

Yep.
SH

Thanks for all the replies. As someone suggested I did call Hitachi
and they told me the battery can be in the charger continuously; they
said it stops charging based on temperature (I suppose of the battery)
and then will monitor the voltage in the battery and will begin to
charge again when/if the voltage drops. (just as SH observed)

Charles