Martik

Default Reduce hot water tank size

Is there any way to do this? I would like to get it down to 5-10gals to
encourage wasteful kids from taking long showers.

TURTLE

"Martik" wrote in message
Is there any way to do this? I would like to get it down to 5-10gals to
encourage wasteful kids from taking long showers.

This is Turtle.

A 2 X 4 is about the only short term cure for this.

TURTLE

effi

"Martik" wrote in message
Is there any way to do this? I would like to get it down to 5-10gals to
encourage wasteful kids from taking long showers.

what if they counter your move by taking long cold showers?

Martik wrote:
Is there any way to do this? I would like to get it down to 5-10gals

encourage wasteful kids from taking long showers.

If they do counter your move, consider a compromise: Put a tankless
point of use water heater at the shower.

Consider the Stiebel Eltron:

http://www.plumbersurplus.com/Produc...CategoryID=180

Martik

wrote in message
oups.com...

Martik wrote:
Is there any way to do this? I would like to get it down to 5-10gals

encourage wasteful kids from taking long showers.

If they do counter your move, consider a compromise: Put a tankless
point of use water heater at the shower.

Consider the Stiebel Eltron:

http://www.plumbersurplus.com/Produc...CategoryID=180

Good idea, and with a 3 minute timer should work well

SQLit

"Martik" wrote in message
Is there any way to do this? I would like to get it down to 5-10gals to
encourage wasteful kids from taking long showers.

When I had the 3 kids in the house I just used a timer. There were 5 of us
and a 30 gallon tank. Showers were 5 minutes and baths were 15. I installed
a flow control shower head for the children's bathroom. They showered at 7-8
and the wifely and I were around 9-10.

AUSTIN1880

Is there any way to do this? I would like to get it down to 5-10gals to
encourage wasteful kids from taking long showers.

Sure, have your plumber replace your existing tank with a 10 gal tank. Of
course then YOU can't take a long hot shower then either...

Ed

You could also try turning down the temperature knob on the water
heater. Has almost the same effect as limiting the amount of hot water
that they can use. Then put a tankless hot water heater on your own
bathroom so you can take showers as long as you want.

TURTLE

wrote in message
ups.com...
You could also try turning down the temperature knob on the water
heater. Has almost the same effect as limiting the amount of hot water
that they can use. Then put a tankless hot water heater on your own
bathroom so you can take showers as long as you want.

This is Turtle.

No Kids are smart and you will be waiting to take a show the first time you
install this set up.

2 X 4 installed at the right place will fix this problem.

TURTLE

TURTLE

wrote in message
oups.com...

Martik wrote:
Is there any way to do this? I would like to get it down to 5-10gals

encourage wasteful kids from taking long showers.

If they do counter your move, consider a compromise: Put a tankless
point of use water heater at the shower.

Consider the Stiebel Eltron:

http://www.plumbersurplus.com/Produc...CategoryID=180

This is Turtle.

Hey if you have any spec.s or type electric tankless equipment I would like to
see it. You can send it to this e-mail addy here. I want a Electric type whole
shower ability and not just a sink or small ability. I have a bunch of lines on
gas type but no electric types.

TURTLE

Matt

I have to agree with turtle here. Whatever happened to discipline?
There is nothing wrong with your water heater, nothing wrong with your
plumbing system.

The problem is your kids are inconsiderate, and that is what needs to
be repaired.

You could spend thousands on plumbing equipment to fix the problem, and
the kids will work a way around it.

If you are dead set on spending money to fix the problem - I'd hire a
plumber to cap the hot water feed to their shower. A week or 2 of cold
showers may provide the incintive you are looking for.

Greg O

"Martik" wrote in message
Is there any way to do this? I would like to get it down to 5-10gals to
encourage wasteful kids from taking long showers.

My wife wanted a larger heater because our daughter would drain our 40
gallon heater when she showers. I had to explain that it would not cure the
problem, the kid would just take longer showers!
Greg

Steve B.

Is there any way to do this? I would like to get it down to 5-10gals to
encourage wasteful kids from taking long showers.

Pull a wire off the bottom element and cap it off iwth a wire nut.
Since heat rises the top element will keep the top of the tank hot
pretty much reducing your capacity by half or more.

The down side to this is that you and/or your spouse and the washer
and dishwasher are also handicapped by the lower amount of available
hot water.

Steve B.
Bubba

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 04:38:38 GMT, "Martik" wrote:

Is there any way to do this? I would like to get it down to 5-10gals to
encourage wasteful kids from taking long showers.

Why not install very low flow shower heads and lower the water
pressure to your home. If you dont have a pressure regulator into your
home, install one.
I got sick of cold showers with a 50 gal gas and 4 women in the house.
Cut down the pressure, installed low flow shower heads (as in, the
type that blow out more air than water) . Now they can take long
showers and I still get hot water.
Bubba
Steve B.

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 21:22:28 GMT, Bubba
wrote:

Why not install very low flow shower heads and lower the water
pressure to your home. If you dont have a pressure regulator into your
home, install one.
I got sick of cold showers with a 50 gal gas and 4 women in the house.
Cut down the pressure, installed low flow shower heads (as in, the
type that blow out more air than water) . Now they can take long
showers and I still get hot water.
Bubba

My sollution is similar. The low flow head is in the bathroom
everyone else uses and the drilled out head is in the bathroom I use.
Lucky for me nobody here has caught on to this in the last three years
:-)

Steve B.

Martik

"Bubba" wrote in message
On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 04:38:38 GMT, "Martik" wrote:

Is there any way to do this? I would like to get it down to 5-10gals to
encourage wasteful kids from taking long showers.

Why not install very low flow shower heads and lower the water
pressure to your home. If you dont have a pressure regulator into your
home, install one.
I got sick of cold showers with a 50 gal gas and 4 women in the house.
Cut down the pressure, installed low flow shower heads (as in, the
type that blow out more air than water) . Now they can take long
showers and I still get hot water.

The lowest is 1.7gpm which is still alot ie: 20mins=34gals Maybe I'll
experiment with different drill sizes

andy everett

Turn the hot water supply valve to the shower in question almost off so
they will use fewer gallons per minute. Explain to your kids why you did
this.

Martik wrote:
Is there any way to do this? I would like to get it down to 5-10gals to
encourage wasteful kids from taking long showers.

Martik

Martik wrote:
Is there any way to do this? I would like to get it down to 5-10gals to
encourage wasteful kids from taking long showers.

Good idea except the idiots who finished the basement drywalled over the
shutoff valves

Complete new CH or just new boiler ChrisJ UK diy 4 September 15th 04 09:05 PM
Leak in hot water tank Johnny UK diy 9 April 9th 04 07:28 PM
Flushing / Cleaning Hot Water Heater Help Needed Cuse Home Repair 38 December 1st 03 02:01 AM