Old December 21st 04, 04:28 AM
Noah Vail

Default Fix A Broken Vise?

The house I purchased has a workshop table with a vise attached to it. The
vise is missing the "do-hickeys" that lock it into place. When you try to
use it, the vise wiggles and turns. How can I find replacement "do-hickeys"
or create a workaround to lock the vise in place?

thanks,
noah

Old December 21st 04, 04:44 AM
Bell

Noah Vail wrote:
The house I purchased has a workshop table with a vise attached to it.
The vise is missing the "do-hickeys" that lock it into place. When
you try to use it, the vise wiggles and turns. How can I find
replacement "do-hickeys" or create a workaround to lock the vise in
place?
thanks,
noah

You can't. That's why they sold the house. Now you're stuck with it
until you sell the house.

Old December 21st 04, 04:48 AM
Roger Shoaf

If you have a name brand you might be able to get the parts from the
manufacturer or a dealer. If another brand try taking the vise off the
bench, and bring it in to a hardware store and ask the clerk if they have
some carriage bolts and nuts that you can secure the vise with.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Old December 21st 04, 04:49 AM
Noah Vail

DAMN! THOSE *******S!!! :-(

--
nv

Old December 21st 04, 04:53 AM
Noah Vail

"Noah Vail" wrote in message
The house I purchased has a workshop table with a vise attached to
it. The vise is missing the "do-hickeys" that lock it into place.
When you try to use it, the vise wiggles and turns. How can I find
replacement "do-hickeys" or create a workaround to lock the vise in
place?

thanks,
noah

Carriage bolts... is that what those do-hickeys are called? That is a good
start... thanks! This vise is from the '70s and there are no markings on
it. Frugality... in other words "my wife..." makes me want to repair it...
I just wanna new vice! grin

--
nv

Old December 21st 04, 05:29 AM
Bob K 207

it. The vise is missing the "do-hickeys" that lock it into place.
When you try to use it, the vise wiggles and turns. How can I find
replacement "do-hickeys" or create a workaround to lock the vise in place

Using a carriage bolt is a way to fix it, not the name of the system to lock
the vise.

Is there a thread sticking up through the base of the vise?

Depending on the design of the vise the rotation lock can have a nut on the
outside of the vise or a bolt that reaches through the base of the vise &
engages a captive nut inside the base of the vise.

Take the vise off the bench & look it over, I doubt if all the parts are
missing.

If all else fails tell your wife it cannot be fixed (send it to me, I'll pay
for shipping)

cheers
Bob

Old December 21st 04, 05:39 AM
TCS

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 22:44:15 -0500, Bell wrote:
Noah Vail wrote:
The house I purchased has a workshop table with a vise attached to it.
The vise is missing the "do-hickeys" that lock it into place. When
you try to use it, the vise wiggles and turns. How can I find
replacement "do-hickeys" or create a workaround to lock the vise in
place?
thanks,
noah

You can't. That's why they sold the house. Now you're stuck with it
until you sell the house.

You did him a disservice by not telling him that it can easily be fixed

with giant cable ties and perhaps some duct tape.
Old December 21st 04, 01:35 PM
John Harlow

How can I find
replacement "do-hickeys" or create a workaround to lock the vise in

I see all the answers were to no avail.

Some people can't help but answer vice questions though. They have a vice
advice vice.

Old December 21st 04, 05:28 PM
Duane Bozarth

Noah Vail wrote:

The house I purchased has a workshop table with a vise attached to it. The
vise is missing the "do-hickeys" that lock it into place. When you try to
use it, the vise wiggles and turns. How can I find replacement "do-hickeys"
or create a workaround to lock the vise in place?

Is the vice loose on the bench (just the mounting) or (I would assume)
you're talking about a swivel type that won't lock down? A little more
description of what you have/what the problem is might elicit further
aid...
Old December 21st 04, 05:30 PM
Harry K

I don't think a carriage bolt is what you need. A carriage bolt has a
round, domed head with a square extension under it. Used to join wood
members. Drive the bolt tight and the square part in the wood keeps it
from turning. What should work is a standard machine bolts and nuts.
Of course you will have to use a wrench to loose/tight em.

Harry K