Noah Vail

Default Fix A Broken Vise?

The house I purchased has a workshop table with a vise attached to it. The
vise is missing the "do-hickeys" that lock it into place. When you try to
use it, the vise wiggles and turns. How can I find replacement "do-hickeys"
or create a workaround to lock the vise in place?

thanks,
noah

Bell

Noah Vail wrote:
The house I purchased has a workshop table with a vise attached to it.
The vise is missing the "do-hickeys" that lock it into place. When
you try to use it, the vise wiggles and turns. How can I find
replacement "do-hickeys" or create a workaround to lock the vise in
place?
thanks,
noah

You can't. That's why they sold the house. Now you're stuck with it
until you sell the house.

Roger Shoaf

If you have a name brand you might be able to get the parts from the
manufacturer or a dealer. If another brand try taking the vise off the
bench, and bring it in to a hardware store and ask the clerk if they have
some carriage bolts and nuts that you can secure the vise with.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

"Noah Vail" wrote in message
The house I purchased has a workshop table with a vise attached to it.

The
vise is missing the "do-hickeys" that lock it into place. When you try to
use it, the vise wiggles and turns. How can I find replacement

"do-hickeys"
or create a workaround to lock the vise in place?

thanks,
noah

Noah Vail

DAMN! THOSE *******S!!! :-(

--
nv

Noah Vail

"Noah Vail" wrote in message
The house I purchased has a workshop table with a vise attached to
it. The vise is missing the "do-hickeys" that lock it into place.
When you try to use it, the vise wiggles and turns. How can I find
replacement "do-hickeys" or create a workaround to lock the vise in
place?

thanks,
noah

Carriage bolts... is that what those do-hickeys are called? That is a good
start... thanks! This vise is from the '70s and there are no markings on
it. Frugality... in other words "my wife..." makes me want to repair it...
I just wanna new vice! grin

--
nv

Bob K 207

it. The vise is missing the "do-hickeys" that lock it into place.
When you try to use it, the vise wiggles and turns. How can I find
replacement "do-hickeys" or create a workaround to lock the vise in place

Using a carriage bolt is a way to fix it, not the name of the system to lock
the vise.

Is there a thread sticking up through the base of the vise?

Depending on the design of the vise the rotation lock can have a nut on the
outside of the vise or a bolt that reaches through the base of the vise &
engages a captive nut inside the base of the vise.

Take the vise off the bench & look it over, I doubt if all the parts are
missing.

If all else fails tell your wife it cannot be fixed (send it to me, I'll pay
for shipping)

cheers
Bob

TCS

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 22:44:15 -0500, Bell wrote:
Noah Vail wrote:
The house I purchased has a workshop table with a vise attached to it.
The vise is missing the "do-hickeys" that lock it into place. When
you try to use it, the vise wiggles and turns. How can I find
replacement "do-hickeys" or create a workaround to lock the vise in
place?
thanks,
noah

You can't. That's why they sold the house. Now you're stuck with it
until you sell the house.

You did him a disservice by not telling him that it can easily be fixed

with giant cable ties and perhaps some duct tape.
John Harlow

How can I find
replacement "do-hickeys" or create a workaround to lock the vise in

I see all the answers were to no avail.

Some people can't help but answer vice questions though. They have a vice
advice vice.

Duane Bozarth

Noah Vail wrote:

The house I purchased has a workshop table with a vise attached to it. The
vise is missing the "do-hickeys" that lock it into place. When you try to
use it, the vise wiggles and turns. How can I find replacement "do-hickeys"
or create a workaround to lock the vise in place?

Is the vice loose on the bench (just the mounting) or (I would assume)
you're talking about a swivel type that won't lock down? A little more
description of what you have/what the problem is might elicit further
aid...
Harry K

I don't think a carriage bolt is what you need. A carriage bolt has a
round, domed head with a square extension under it. Used to join wood
members. Drive the bolt tight and the square part in the wood keeps it
from turning. What should work is a standard machine bolts and nuts.
Of course you will have to use a wrench to loose/tight em.

Harry K

Stormin Mormon

Couple of big C-clamps.

--

Christopher A. Young
Keep Jesus Christ in CHRISTmas

"Noah Vail" wrote in message
The house I purchased has a workshop table with a vise attached to it. The
vise is missing the "do-hickeys" that lock it into place. When you try to
use it, the vise wiggles and turns. How can I find replacement "do-hickeys"
or create a workaround to lock the vise in place?

thanks,
noah

Roger Shoaf

"Harry K" wrote in message
ups.com...
I don't think a carriage bolt is what you need. A carriage bolt has a
round, domed head with a square extension under it. Used to join wood
members. Drive the bolt tight and the square part in the wood keeps it
from turning. What should work is a standard machine bolts and nuts.
Of course you will have to use a wrench to loose/tight em.

Harry K

Usually the underside of the vise base has an arced slot with square sides.
I suggested a carriage bolt as it has a square shoulder that would fit in
the slot to prevent rotation when the nuts are tightened from the top. But
if this doesn't work for some reason, he is at the hardware store with all
the pieces so they can see the problem and suggest the solution.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Harry K

You are correct. Seems like I forgot that -minor- little detail. Been
30 years since I worked on mine.

Harry K

HALLIBURTON would probably service it for $250,000,000

But only with a "cost plus fixed-fee", no-bid contract.

rj
MUADIB®

HALLIBURTON would probably service it for $250,000,000

But only with a "cost plus fixed-fee", no-bid contract.

That's probably not very accurate. I think My best calcualtions hit
753,000,000 dollars. This figures in the extra fees that are likely
going to be needed for transportation of the vice to a suitable work
area ( junkyard) and possible replcement cost of all minutes that can
be lost due to any number of variables that are unforseeable at the
time of removal for service, and possible replacement of said vice.
the quote is likely this: " we can only guess at the amount of losses
we will incur"

and they're the only ones that can possibly do this job too. There is
no other company big enough to handle this one.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

http://www.angelfire.com/retro/sster...IN%20PAGE.html

one small step for man,.....