Default Now I have the rehab itch...what will all this cost??

Broke my big repair cherry yesterday by dropping $1700 re-shingling 900
sq feet of roof.

I was thinking of doing a rehab loan, with the following items
included. I know some of these I may be able to handle myself, but I
wanted to put them all in to get an idea of cost for all these items
from some of the experts here.

This is for a 100 year old single family two story colonial in MA. The
home is about 1350 sq feet. 7 rooms, 3 beds, 1 bath.

- add 1/2 bath on 1st floor
- Scrape/Paint the house bright yellow (currently gray)
- waterproof all fieldstone basement walls (650 sq ft basement)
- add ground level 12 x 15 redwood deck, lighted w/ outside elec
outlets
- hot tub on the new deck
- new asphalt driveway (single wide, about 12 x 40)
- extend existing 12 x 30 garage by 20 feet back into yard.
- hardwire electricity to garage - w/baseboard elec heat or wood stove.
- replace bathroom floor w/ceramic time and install shower door
enclosure (6 x 6 bathroom, small.)
- re-seed and flatten/level lawn, remove razor tree (holley?), remove 4
ft chain link fence and giant bush in front of house. (Lawn is about
3000 sq feet. Fence is about 25 ft in length.)
- Wall to wall carpet in living room (10 x 12).
- baseboard heat w/thermo installed in unheated room. (10 x 12)
- new gas dryer
- new front and back storm doors
- new gas stove
- add garbage disposal
- ceramic tile on kitchen floor (16 x 14)
- reshingle roof of garage.

I am figuring around $25,000. I would hope a GC could handle the whole
mess, and get it all done in a month in the spring/summer/fall.
Thoughts?

Bluesman

Just one other question - if the above house is valued curently @
300,000, how much of an icrease in value could I expect from the
repairs listed?

Thanks,

Bluesman

Bo Williams

[...]

Cost varies a bit by location, of course, but I think your estimate is
quite optimistic. I'm in northern Alabama, which is on the inexpensive
side nationwide, and this list sounds like at least double your estimate
at first blush--and maybe triple depending on specifics. Lots of your
list is $500 here, $1000 there, but the half-bath and the garage
extension are potentially huge money- and timewise. I'd bet you're also
going to spend more than you think on your deck/hot tub project--that
sort of project just screams "scope creep."
--
Bo Williams -

http://hiwaay.net/~williams/
m Ransley

More like 50000

m Ransley

If you get a contractor to agree with you I Bet he will dissapear to
another state with your downpayment. Or you will forever be chasing him
in court. Get real get qualified bids. 2 thoughts Yellows cover the
worst and are usualy a 2 coat job. Waterproofing a foundation is done
from the outside. Get quality bids

John Harlow

- - Scrape/Paint the house bright yellow (currently gray)

One of my neighbors has a bright yellow house. It
doesn't look so good. (And I'm glad it's not in my
line of sight!)

No kidding. That alone might DEvalue the home for the amount of the rest of
the improvements.

Yellow. Yech.

xrongor

i doubt you could do all that for 25k even if you did most of the labor
yourself.

but my real question, why would you dump all that money into such a small
house?

randy

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
oups.com...
Broke my big repair cherry yesterday by dropping $1700 re-shingling 900
sq feet of roof.

- add ground level 12 x 15 redwood deck, lighted w/ outside elec
outlets
- hot tub on the new deck

I am figuring around $25,000. I would hope a GC could handle the whole
mess, and get it all done in a month in the spring/summer/fall.
Thoughts?

Yes, he can get the deck done for that amount and time frame. Now, about
the rest of your dreams . . . . . . . . . .

Roger Shoaf

"John Harlow" wrote in message

- - Scrape/Paint the house bright yellow (currently gray)

One of my neighbors has a bright yellow house. It
doesn't look so good. (And I'm glad it's not in my
line of sight!)

No kidding. That alone might DEvalue the home for the amount of the rest

of
the improvements.

Yellow. Yech.

I would rather see a yellow house than another earth-tone. I have seen
endless tracts of houses built with nothing but various shades of beige, tan
and brown. That is boring.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

I would rather see a yellow house than another earth-tone. I have seen
endless tracts of houses built with nothing but various shades of beige, tan
and brown. That is boring.

I actually kind of like yellow. I particularly like what I've taken to calling
"F-U" yellow, which is the shade of yellow the people near my work re-painted
their house after the historic-district commission told them that they had to
paint it either white, yellow, or (I think,) green. They chose
a shade somewhere between road-stripe and international-safety yellow.
Not timid. :-)

It took a little more than a year for other houses nearby to start copying it.
Once you get used to it, it looks really good. But not for people who are
afraid of color.

Tom Miller

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 21:08:43 -0800, "Roger Shoaf"
wrote:

| "John Harlow" wrote in message
|
| - - Scrape/Paint the house bright yellow (currently gray)
|
| One of my neighbors has a bright yellow house. It
| doesn't look so good. (And I'm glad it's not in my
| line of sight!)
|
| No kidding. That alone might DEvalue the home for the amount of the rest
| of
| the improvements.
|
| Yellow. Yech.
|

| I would rather see a yellow house than another earth-tone. I have seen
| endless tracts of houses built with nothing but various shades of beige, tan
| and brown. That is boring.

The thing about yellow houses is that there are some yellows that look
fine on some houses, but a slightly different shade or even slightly
different color saturation can look god-awful. We have brown and
yellow Craftsman-style houses in our neighborhood, and they look very
nice. But there is a primo example of Craftsman style (it was actually
written up and photographed in a renovator's magazine once) that the
new owner painted bright yellow and it looks dreadful. So close ...
yet so far! It looks exactly like someone got the wrong paint by
mistake.

Be careful. I'd suggest looking for another yellow house you like and
being damned careful you get that exact shade of yellow. Knock on the
door and ask.