jakobs wife

Default roof repair

I am a first time home owner, and we have live in our new home just
under a year. The roof was supposed to be only about a year old when
we bought the house last year. We have home owners warranty/insurance
from the previous owners. I called the company and they said to called
a roofer for an estimate and then call them back. I am totally
inexperienced. Where do I begin ....? Please help. Thanks

--
jakobs wife
jakobs wife's Profile: http://homerepairforums.org/forums/member.php?userid=19

Edwin Pawlowski

"jakobs wife" wrote in
message ...

I am a first time home owner, and we have live in our new home just
under a year. The roof was supposed to be only about a year old when
we bought the house last year. We have home owners warranty/insurance
from the previous owners. I called the company and they said to called
a roofer for an estimate and then call them back. I am totally
inexperienced. Where do I begin ....? Please help. Thanks

--
jakobs wife

Look in the Yellow Pages for Roofing Contractor. Or ask neighbors who did
their roof. Get an estimate. Then call back the insurance company.

You had the home inspected before you bought it, right? If you didn't,
I would start by hiring a home inspector to find out what's wrong with
the roof as well as the rest of the house. Fixing a few simple things
early can save you big bucks down the road.

Roger Shoaf

"jakobs wife" wrote in
message ...

I am a first time home owner, and we have live in our new home just
under a year. The roof was supposed to be only about a year old when
we bought the house last year. We have home owners warranty/insurance
from the previous owners. I called the company and they said to called
a roofer for an estimate and then call them back. I am totally
inexperienced. Where do I begin ....? Please help. Thanks

Roof leaks can be caused by many things from storm damage to poor flashing,
or clogged gutters. The way you ask the question seems to suggest that you
are not really the DIY type so a consultation with a reliable roofer is in
order.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

I was just in the same boat as you...roof was not great when I bought
it, and as the years went by shingles were flying off all over the
place.

Yesterday I had 900 sq feet done (a second layer) for $1675, which was
essentially 3/4 of the roof. (The rest was ok.)

I spoke to everyone I knew for suggetions - my nextdoor neighbor who
works construction suggested a guy he works with - I called him and he
came down Sat to look at the roof, gave me as estimate later that day,
and had 3 of his men come down yesterday (yes, Sunday) to bang out the
job. I also talked him down from $2100.

You don't mention what is wrong with the roof. Leaks? rotted
shingles? Holes?

Bluesman