DonLanger

Default outlet question

Have a outlet in a bedroom where one side is live all the time, the other side
is switched from the wall. The original outlet went bad, when I removed it I
wired it the same way it came off. 2 wires on the top the 1 white wire on the
bottom(white). Problem now is that the both sides of the outlet are now live
all the time, the switch on the wall has no effect. Did I do something wrong?
or is there a special outlet I need to use for this type of installation?

Paul M

Tekkie

DonLanger posted for all of us....

Have a outlet in a bedroom where one side is live all the time, the other side
is switched from the wall. The original outlet went bad, when I removed it I
wired it the same way it came off. 2 wires on the top the 1 white wire on the
bottom(white). Problem now is that the both sides of the outlet are now live
all the time, the switch on the wall has no effect. Did I do something wrong?
or is there a special outlet I need to use for this type of installation?

Look at the old outlet. The tab between the two screws on the side with two
wires should be removed; isolates the hots. This "SHOULD" be the side with
the black wires/brass colored screws. Do not so this on the other tab.

Sites on the web *if you do the research* show this visually.
--
Tekkie
DonLanger

I just wired it up...works great...Dauuuu...seems so obvious now.
Thanks for all the help.