DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   outlet question (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/82336-outlet-question.html)

DonLanger December 20th 04 01:48 AM

outlet question

Have a outlet in a bedroom where one side is live all the time, the other side
is switched from the wall. The original outlet went bad, when I removed it I
wired it the same way it came off. 2 wires on the top the 1 white wire on the
bottom(white). Problem now is that the both sides of the outlet are now live
all the time, the switch on the wall has no effect. Did I do something wrong?
or is there a special outlet I need to use for this type of installation?

PAUL100 December 20th 04 01:58 AM

Subject: outlet question
From: (DonLanger)
Date: 12/19/2004 8:48 P.M. Eastern Standard Time
Have a outlet in a bedroom where one side is live all the time, the other
side
is switched from the wall. The original outlet went bad, when I removed it I
wired it the same way it came off. 2 wires on the top the 1 white wire on the
bottom(white). Problem now is that the both sides of the outlet are now live
all the time, the switch on the wall has no effect. Did I do something wrong?
or is there a special outlet I need to use for this type of installation?

on the brass screw side(hot side, should be black wire) you need to break off
the tab that connects the two screws together.

Paul M December 20th 04 02:22 AM

Tekkie December 20th 04 02:22 AM

DonLanger posted for all of us....

Have a outlet in a bedroom where one side is live all the time, the other side
is switched from the wall. The original outlet went bad, when I removed it I
wired it the same way it came off. 2 wires on the top the 1 white wire on the
bottom(white). Problem now is that the both sides of the outlet are now live
all the time, the switch on the wall has no effect. Did I do something wrong?
or is there a special outlet I need to use for this type of installation?

Look at the old outlet. The tab between the two screws on the side with two
wires should be removed; isolates the hots. This "SHOULD" be the side with
the black wires/brass colored screws. Do not so this on the other tab.

Sites on the web *if you do the research* show this visually.
--
Tekkie

DonLanger December 20th 04 02:26 AM

I just wired it up...works great...Dauuuu...seems so obvious now.
Thanks for all the help.

[email protected] December 20th 04 04:20 AM

On 20 Dec 2004 01:48:05 GMT, (DonLanger) wrote:

Have a outlet in a bedroom where one side is live all the time, the other side
is switched from the wall. The original outlet went bad, when I removed it I
wired it the same way it came off. 2 wires on the top the 1 white wire on the
bottom(white). Problem now is that the both sides of the outlet are now live
all the time, the switch on the wall has no effect. Did I do something wrong?
or is there a special outlet I need to use for this type of installation?

Very simple wiring diagram images. One is a split receptacle.

http://www.urlbee.com?430

hth,

tom

Phisherman December 20th 04 11:46 PM

On 20 Dec 2004 01:48:05 GMT, (DonLanger) wrote:

Have a outlet in a bedroom where one side is live all the time, the other side
is switched from the wall. The original outlet went bad, when I removed it I
wired it the same way it came off. 2 wires on the top the 1 white wire on the
bottom(white). Problem now is that the both sides of the outlet are now live
all the time, the switch on the wall has no effect. Did I do something wrong?
or is there a special outlet I need to use for this type of installation?

Split receptacle wiring requires removal of the metal break-off tab
located on the side of the housing in the middle. Twist it off using
a pair of pliers. There are actually two tabs, one hot and the other
neutral, so examine the original receptacle to see how to configure
your new receptacle.