JB

Default 240 volt to 120 volts

I have a 240 circuit furnishing my stove. I would like to pull from this
circuit a 120 volt circuit to dedicate to a microwave oven. How can this
be done?
John Harlow

JB wrote:
I have a 240 circuit furnishing my stove. I would like to pull from
this circuit a 120 volt circuit to dedicate to a microwave oven. How
can this be done?

Improperly.

Edwin Pawlowski

"JB" wrote in message
news
I have a 240 circuit furnishing my stove. I would like to pull from this
circuit a 120 volt circuit to dedicate to a microwave oven. How can this be
done?

While it "can" be done, it should NOT be done.

toller

"John Harlow" wrote in message
JB wrote:
I have a 240 circuit furnishing my stove. I would like to pull from
this circuit a 120 volt circuit to dedicate to a microwave oven. How
can this be done?

Improperly.

Not true. Assuming there is a neutral, he could put in a load center. It
might be easier than running a new circuit.

treo

"JB" wrote in message
news
I have a 240 circuit furnishing my stove. I would like to pull from this
circuit a 120 volt circuit to dedicate to a microwave oven. How can this be
done?

a 240 line can easily be two 120's, but it's not to code

The reason no one will tell you is if you had even BASIC electrical
knowledge, you wouldn't need to ask. It's not a good idea for someone who
doesn't understand power to be taking shortcuts.

You should easily be able to pull 15 amps from any 120 circuit. I know of NO
microwave that pulls more then 15 AMPS

If you can't isolate a circuit, consider having a licensed electricial add a
new one to your breaker box.

TURTLE

JB wrote:
I have a 240 circuit furnishing my stove. I would like to pull from
this circuit a 120 volt circuit to dedicate to a microwave oven. How
can this be done?

Improperly.

Not true. Assuming there is a neutral, he could put in a load center. It
might be easier than running a new circuit.

This is Turtle.

I think I smell smoke ! Do you smell it ?

TURTLE

RBM

It's probably the least practical way to get a circuit for the microwave,
but as toller said, you could install a panel. The feed to the stove would
have to be of sufficient size to feed both loads and it would need to have
both a neutral and a ground. You'd install the panel per code with a double
pole breaker and new four wire cable going to the stove outlet and single
pole breaker and cable going to the microwave outlet

JB wrote:
I have a 240 circuit furnishing my stove. I would like to pull from
this circuit a 120 volt circuit to dedicate to a microwave oven. How
can this be done?

Improperly.

Not true. Assuming there is a neutral, he could put in a load center. It
might be easier than running a new circuit.

Pop

JB wrote:
I have a 240 circuit furnishing my stove. I would like to pull
from
this circuit a 120 volt circuit to dedicate to a microwave
oven. How
can this be done?

Don't do it. Even if you figured out how to do it, you'd have a
uWave on a 30 amp fuse or whatever your stove has - that's why
some talked about a load center, etc. in th eposts. A uWave gone
bad on a 30A fuse could cause lots and lots of smoke, sparks and
fire. There's more to it than just the couple of wires your
friends probably told you about.

Your very basic question indicates you don't have the background
to accomplish this safely or within code or in any way that would
satisfy your insurance company after the fire. Best to get a pro
in there. No, I'm not a contractor.

Pop

bumtracks

when the oven is baking while the burners are cookin and together they're
pulling 25amps, you turn on that microwave and 15amps instantly trips the
oven breaker.

"JB" wrote in message
news
I have a 240 circuit furnishing my stove. I would like to pull from this
circuit a 120 volt circuit to dedicate to a microwave oven. How can this
be done?

SQLit

JB wrote:
I have a 240 circuit furnishing my stove. I would like to pull from
this circuit a 120 volt circuit to dedicate to a microwave oven. How
can this be done?

Improperly.

Not true. Assuming there is a neutral, he could put in a load center. It
might be easier than running a new circuit.

Ya like there is room to install an panel. Not to mention the need for
access, and removing the stove is not considered access.

bumtracks wrote:

when the oven is baking while the burners are cookin and together they're
pulling 25amps, you turn on that microwave and 15amps instantly trips the
oven breaker.

....so you learn to avoid doing that.

Nick

bill a

do you intend to keep using the 220v for a range?

"JB" wrote in message
news
I have a 240 circuit furnishing my stove. I would like to pull from this
circuit a 120 volt circuit to dedicate to a microwave oven. How can this be
done?

Phisherman

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 04:30:13 GMT, JB wrote:

I have a 240 circuit furnishing my stove. I would like to pull from this
circuit a 120 volt circuit to dedicate to a microwave oven. How can this
be done?

The best way is to run a separate dedicated circuit for the microwave.
Leave the stove circuit alone!