Old July 6th 04, 09:38 PM
Whunicut

Default 6 volt Hobbs meter

I recently was high bidder for a NOS, 6 volt, Hobbs meter. I served my
apprenticeship at Stewart-Warner so what can I say? Just could not resist after
seeing the old familiar face.
I want to put the meter in the panel of an aircraft I am building, said
aircraft has a 12 volt system.
What I dont know about electronics and electricty would fill a library so how
do I get from 12 volts to 6 volts?
Seems I remember when we used to convert the old VW beetles to 12 volts, we
kept the 6 volt starter, changed the lights but kept the windshield washer
motor 6 volts. How did we do that?
Anyway, all help will be appreciated.

Warren

Old July 6th 04, 10:07 PM
jim rozen

In article , Whunicut says...

I recently was high bidder for a NOS, 6 volt, Hobbs meter.

Gads. I have no idea what a Hobbs meter is. You got one
on this old goat. Is it an hourmeter?

Any time you want to go from 12 to 6 volts in a small
instrument (if that's what this is) then the best way
is to see what the current draw is, and use an appropriate
solid state semiconductor regulator chip, in this case it
would take in 12 volts and produce 6 volts regulated.

The sticky spot is to see how much power the regulator
will be dissipating, and if it's a lot, then to drop
some of the power in a series resistor.

Do you have any idea of the current draw?

Jim

please reply to:

Old July 6th 04, 11:17 PM
Erik

In article ,
jim rozen wrote:

In article , Whunicut says...

I recently was high bidder for a NOS, 6 volt, Hobbs meter.

Gads. I have no idea what a Hobbs meter is. You got one
on this old goat. Is it an hourmeter?

Any time you want to go from 12 to 6 volts in a small
instrument (if that's what this is) then the best way
is to see what the current draw is, and use an appropriate
solid state semiconductor regulator chip, in this case it
would take in 12 volts and produce 6 volts regulated.

The sticky spot is to see how much power the regulator
will be dissipating, and if it's a lot, then to drop
some of the power in a series resistor.

Do you have any idea of the current draw?

Jim

please reply to:

I think Hobbs meter winding coil's draw a good bit of current every 30
seconds or so in the wind cycle, maybe a 2 or 3 millisecond pulse.

Seems I remember then having a wide operational voltage range, like 4 to
40V or something like that... I'm talking about the old mechanical ones
here, not the newer Quartz or digital's.

Erik
Old July 6th 04, 11:56 PM
axolotl

Whunicut wrote:

I recently was high bidder for a NOS, 6 volt, Hobbs meter.

so how
do I get from 12 volts to 6 volts?

For the amount of current you are talking about, put a 6.2 volt Zener
diode with the requisite power rating (probably written on the meter, if
not you will have to measure the current draw) in series with the meter.

Kevin Gallimore

Old July 7th 04, 01:01 AM
Whunicut

I recently was high bidder for a NOS, 6 volt, Hobbs meter.

Gads. I have no idea what a Hobbs meter is. You got one
on this old goat. Is it an hourmeter?

Any time you want to go from 12 to 6 volts in a small
instrument (if that's what this is) then the best way
is to see what the current draw is, and use an appropriate
solid state semiconductor regulator chip, in this case it
would take in 12 volts and produce 6 volts regulated.

The sticky spot is to see how much power the regulator
will be dissipating, and if it's a lot, then to drop
some of the power in a series resistor.

Do you have any idea of the current draw?

Jim

Dern it, I should have explained better.
Yes, it is an hourmeter. Round and made to fit in an instrument panel hole
approx 2 1/8 dia.
Nope, have no idea what the current draw is. How do I measure that?
Semi conductor chip....is this what is called a zener by someone else?

Thanks,
Warren
Old July 7th 04, 01:09 AM
Whunicut

I think Hobbs meter winding coil's draw a good bit of current every 30
seconds or so in the wind cycle, maybe a 2 or 3 millisecond pulse.

Seems I remember then having a wide operational voltage range, like 4 to
40V or something like that... I'm talking about the old mechanical ones
here, not the newer Quartz or digital's.

Erik

Well, this is certainly the old mechanical type. Probably a dumb question but
here goes. If it just spikes from 4 to 4o volts every 3 minutes or so, why do I
have to do anything? Wouldn`t 12 volts work?

Also, the papers that came with it mention models without the instant stop
feature would run on for up to 3 minutes after being turned off.
Verifies your statement above.

Warren
Old July 7th 04, 01:14 AM
Whunicut

Auto parts stores used to keep voltage reducers for just that purpose. You
needed one or more depending on draw. This application would just need one.

Still in the catalog and on the shelf. We sold 134 of them last week.
Who'da thought it?

Borg Warner number is VR1.
1.5 ohm resistance for up to 4 amp load.
Basically a wound-wire resister in a ceramic shell

VR2 is the same thing with a mounting bracket
Any parts store should be able to cross it to their brand.
Cost is about $10
Texas Parts Guy

Thanks Texas Parts Guy. Just proves they made some tough 6 volt cars in the
Good Old Days!

Warren
Old July 7th 04, 01:22 AM
Whunicut

For the amount of current you are talking about, put a 6.2 volt Zener
diode with the requisite power rating (probably written on the meter, if
not you will have to measure the current draw) in series with the meter.

Kevin Gallimore

Not on the meter or in the literature is there anything about the power rating.
Other than 6 volts.
If the meter spikes every 3 minutes or so, how can I measure the spike? Or do I
have to?

Thanks,
Warren
Old July 7th 04, 02:08 AM
axolotl

Whunicut wrote:

Not on the meter or in the literature is there anything about the power rating.
Other than 6 volts.
If the meter spikes every 3 minutes or so, how can I measure the spike? Or do I
have to?

You would need to know what type of Hobbs meter it is.
You could ask Hobbs:

http://content.honeywell.com/sensing...p/cat1_hr5.asp

For your purposes, however, a one watt Zener would work with any
Hobbs-type meter I've seen, be it electronic or electromechanical. But
I would not tell someone else to use it without measuring the current.
Put a one Ohm resistor in series with the Hobbs meter. Apply 12 volts.
Measure the voltage across the resistor. You will read current in Amps.
Alternatively, you could use an ampmeter. Assuming it is an averaging
meter, at DC: Volts(12)*Amps(what you measure)= average Watts. Pick a
power rating for the Zener that is greater than the power you measure.
Zener diodes are available at Digi-Key.
Here is a typical data sheet:

http://rocky.digikey.com/WebLib/Micr...8A-1N4764A.pdf

When's my ride?

Kevin Gallimore

Does anyone have this gas meter installed in their home? tarquinlinbin UK diy 6 April 22nd 05 10:12 AM
Electricity Meter Scott UK diy 13 August 4th 04 06:55 PM
Moving electricity meter, cutout and consumer unit nospam UK diy 2 July 26th 04 08:06 PM
water meter set aside plans dave @ stejonda UK diy 10 March 19th 04 11:59 PM
Meter reader clocked me! BigWallop UK diy 3 July 23rd 03 09:58 AM