SCM

Default Outside Lighting

I currently have an outside light with a single pole switch, what I want to
do is install another outside light over the garage in series with the
existing light and switch and also add another switch in the garage to
control both lights.

I have found some schematic on the web but I want to sure before I attempt
this that I have the correct information. I believe what I'm installing is
the typical circuit that you would have for a hallway light that is
controlled by two switches.

Any info would be great.

Thanks
Steve

willshak

On 12/17/2004 10:29 AM US(ET), SCM took fingers to keys, and typed the
following:

I currently have an outside light with a single pole switch, what I want to
do is install another outside light over the garage in series with the
existing light and switch and also add another switch in the garage to
control both lights.

I have found some schematic on the web but I want to sure before I attempt
this that I have the correct information. I believe what I'm installing is
the typical circuit that you would have for a hallway light that is
controlled by two switches.

Any info would be great.

Thanks
Steve

You need 3 way switches and 3 way cable (containing white, black, red,
and ground wires).
http://home.howstuffworks.com/three-way2.htm

Beachcomber

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 10:29:09 -0500, "SCM"
wrote:

I currently have an outside light with a single pole switch, what I want to
do is install another outside light over the garage in series with the
existing light and switch and also add another switch in the garage to
control both lights.

I have found some schematic on the web but I want to sure before I attempt
this that I have the correct information. I believe what I'm installing is
the typical circuit that you would have for a hallway light that is
controlled by two switches.

Any info would be great.

Thanks
Steve

Steve:

In the world of electricity, "series" is different than "parallel", so
make sure you understand the difference. In the situation you
describe, 99.99% of homeowners would really rather have a parallel
connection instead of putting the lights in "series" as you describe.

Otherwise, your describing what in the US is called a circuit
controlled by three-way switches from 2 locations. The term
"three-way" switch is very old and does not accurately describe what
is basically a single pole double throw switch. The two wires between
the switches are called "travelers" and the code requires that the
switches be placed in the "hot" wire, never the neutral (white) wires.

With modern wiring devices, there are some variations available for
controlling lights from 2 or more points.

Leviton makes a Decora Style Timer that also functions as a switch.
Because logic has been wired into the Leviton module, the second
switch can be a simple spst switch, which means you can run only one
wire if you want (if the 2nd switchbox has a neutral).

Another option is X10 which sends coded digital signals along existing
wires.

http://www.smarthome.com (one of many suppliers)

With X10, dimming and wireless options are available.

Beachcomber