diagravial

Default Need some toilet help

The toilet isn't working correctly.
When I pull the handle, the water in the tank goes down. the flapper
goes down, and everything looks like it is working from inside the
tank. But, in the bowl it is a different story. It doesn't flush.
What I mean is that the water from the tank seems to be going into the
bowl, and the water in the bowl seems to be going down the trap, but
it is more like an exchange of the waters. That is to say, the bowl
doesn't empty like a full flush would be. If I add some water to the
bowl directly, I get a full flush, but not unless I add the water.
I tried adjusting the float the other day, but that didn't do any
good.

Got any ideas? Thanks,
d.honeycutt

You want to make sure that the water in the tank is all the way up to the
overflow tube but not spilling any water into it. Sounds like it is not
running enough water into it.

dgh
"diagravial" wrote in message
The toilet isn't working correctly.
When I pull the handle, the water in the tank goes down. the flapper
goes down, and everything looks like it is working from inside the
tank. But, in the bowl it is a different story. It doesn't flush.
What I mean is that the water from the tank seems to be going into the
bowl, and the water in the bowl seems to be going down the trap, but
it is more like an exchange of the waters. That is to say, the bowl
doesn't empty like a full flush would be. If I add some water to the
bowl directly, I get a full flush, but not unless I add the water.
I tried adjusting the float the other day, but that didn't do any
good.

Got any ideas? Thanks,

diagravial

Yeah, that's what i would think too, but, the water is going up to the
top of the overflow tube.

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 20:56:28 GMT, "d.honeycutt"
wrote:

You want to make sure that the water in the tank is all the way up to the
overflow tube but not spilling any water into it. Sounds like it is not
running enough water into it.

dgh
"diagravial" wrote in message
.. .
The toilet isn't working correctly.
When I pull the handle, the water in the tank goes down. the flapper
goes down, and everything looks like it is working from inside the
tank. But, in the bowl it is a different story. It doesn't flush.
What I mean is that the water from the tank seems to be going into the
bowl, and the water in the bowl seems to be going down the trap, but
it is more like an exchange of the waters. That is to say, the bowl
doesn't empty like a full flush would be. If I add some water to the
bowl directly, I get a full flush, but not unless I add the water.
I tried adjusting the float the other day, but that didn't do any
good.

Got any ideas? Thanks,

Joseph Meehan

diagravial wrote:
The toilet isn't working correctly.
When I pull the handle, the water in the tank goes down. the flapper
goes down, and everything looks like it is working from inside the
tank. But, in the bowl it is a different story. It doesn't flush.
What I mean is that the water from the tank seems to be going into the
bowl, and the water in the bowl seems to be going down the trap, but
it is more like an exchange of the waters. That is to say, the bowl
doesn't empty like a full flush would be. If I add some water to the
bowl directly, I get a full flush, but not unless I add the water.
I tried adjusting the float the other day, but that didn't do any
good.

Got any ideas? Thanks,

Try holding the handle down until it flushes. Many toilets have two
flush modes. Regular or heady duty. You get the heavy duty by holding down
the handle. You also may have a problem with the flap valve.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Jeff Wisnia

Joseph Meehan wrote:

diagravial wrote:

[...]

The water holes around the underside of the rim may be clogged with lime
and not letting water flow into the bowl fast enough to get the syphon
flush action started. Use a small mirror to look at them and a piece of
coathanger wire or a very small slot screwdriver to ream them out.

Let us know if it works...

HTH and Happy Holidays,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"

diagravial

Yeah, I tried that--just makes the toilet run longer, but it doesn't
flush.

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 21:44:37 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

diagravial wrote:
[...]

Raptornaut

It just means that it's time for a new toilet. You old one's old and doesn't
flow as well as it used to (hence the "good" flush when you pour a little
water in it).

Joseph Meehan

wrote:

diagravial wrote:
[...]

In that case I would look into the suggestion to check the holes under
the rim. You might also consider that there may be some of partial
obstruction or a problem with the flapper valve keeping it from fully
opening or closing too soon.

Finally it may be time for a new toilet.

Buying by brand name is not a good idea. Most brands make good models
and poor models.
Many of the water savers are very good, some are very bad. I was looking
at a few the other day. Limiting it to standard looking models (no color or
special designer looks) I found models priced from $39.95 to $289.95.

All the cheaper models (which likely make up 90+% of the total sold,
especially to contractor homes) have 1.75" traps unglazed. The better ones
had 2" or larger traps with additional water surface areas and the trap
areas were glazed. Some even had special pressurized water tanks.

Consider the difference. Have you felt the surface of an unglazed
ceramic surface? That along with poor design, small opening etc. all
contribute to poor performance. Using a lot of water was just a cheap way
of getting around bad design.

Get a good water saver and you will be fine. Get a cheap model of any
design and you will have problems.

A very large market for them are builders who want the cheapest
thing that meets the code, so they all make one. You don't want this. They
all also make nice looking models that have a lot of appeal until you get
them home and you find that the working parts are the same as the builder's
specials.

Consumer Reports magazine did a report on them not long ago, you should
be able to find a copy in the library. That may help.

Most people seem to be very happy with the American Standard Cadet
models. Note that they do make more than one model in that line and pay
attention to the trap design in which one you pick. Others like the Gerber
(sp) power flush line. They are a little nosier and have a little more
complex flushing system, but it is very effective.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Burt Squareman

"Raptornaut" wrote in message . com...
It just means that it's time for a new toilet. You old one's old and doesn't
flow as well as it used to (hence the "good" flush when you pour a little
water in it).

Exactly. I had been living with flush problem for a while until I got one
of the Pressure-assisted siphon jet action. The American Standard 1.6-
GPF Elongated Toilet that easily fllushes with just about half a gallon.