Halvey

Default House Move: Sensical?

Driving down a street in my neighborhood yesterday, we happened upon a
HUGE operation where two houses, or maybe two halves of one house, were
being moved onto a lot. Now, this is right across the street from some
pretty upscale houses, and on a set of blocks that are definitely going
to be appreciating in value as time goes on.

The house/s that they were moving in where...to put it mildy...crap.
2x4 exterior walls, uninsulated, old wiring, 17 layers of roof, etc.
They had to rip the chimney out in order to move them, as well as take
off what looked like could have been a porch or something. Basically,
it looked like a barn.

So my question is, under what situation does this make financial sense,
to bring in what, to my moderately trained eye looked like a teardown,
and put it on a really nice lot? My wife and I figure that it *was* a
teardown, and instead, somebody said "I'll take it!" and, for the price
of moving it, plunked it down on their lot and plan on renting it. I
would assume that because it's an 'existing' house, they can circumvent
some code requirements upgrading electrical service, insulating, etc.

SQLit

"Halvey" wrote in message
[...]

I spent 3 months working on an "moved home". The move in AZ cost $1000 a
mile, which included the removal and step up of the home after the move.
(1979 dollars) The moving contractor took care of the roof. The home owner
had a floor poured for the structure he did not make the floor foot print as
I had suggested a few inches larger so parts of the exterior walls hung over
the foundation in the beginning. The foundation was made larger and the
walls eventually worked out well. The CCTV was unusable do to the number of
cuts the runs had. I had to rip out the drywall in places to fix that. The
electrical stuff in the attic was a joy to find. They just sawed the house
in half. All of the plumbing was underground. A/C duct was repaired and
installed. with airhandlers in outside closets on either end of the home.
All in all the construction of this home was faster than a build from
scratch but not by much. Maybe a couple of weeks. I am sure the HO saved
some money doing it this way and I am also sure that he got the shell for a
song.

This must be handled with a case by case basis.

William Deans

Greetings,

This may sound like a strange reply --- but why don't you introduce yourself
to your neighbor? Tell him you are interested. I am sure he would love to
tell you all about it.

William

"Halvey" wrote in message
[...]

Doug Kanter

You mean....talk to the neighbors??? Are you crazy?

news:1102966642.416de557877141af4261fdfb98f10e30@t eranews...

"Halvey" wrote in message
[...]

Halvey

1. Not really my neighbor, so if they were there, I would have no idea
who they were.

2. I'm willing to bet ($1 max) that the owner was nowhere to be found.
To put a house like that (crap) on a lot like that (golden), I'm
thinking that it's somebody who could give a rip about quality and/or
neighbors and/or street appeal and/or etc, and is looking to put a
rentable edifice on his property asap. BTW, this lot is 7 block S of
the second largest university in the state...so...landlord's wet dream.

I like the $1000/mile figure mentioned earlier. We were able to trace
the path of where it came from right up to Hwy99, since all other
streets were small enough to require no parking signs and other measures
to make sure a house would fit through. The thing sure looked like it
came from the country, but at that $/distance figure, I'd bet it was
more local than we thought.

"Halvey" wrote in message

[...]

Member

A company I used to work for had an old junker house on a lot that was in the way of expansion. To keep the historical preservationists and a neighborhood association happy they gave it away. This lady paid $30k to move it onto a $80k lot, then dumped about $50k more into fixing it up, then sold it for about $300k. Not a bad return.
William Deans

Greetings,

If they are going to turn right around and sell the new home this strategy
might avoid paying some capital gains tax (since they will have lived in the
home two out of the last five years).

Hope this helps,
William

"Greg" wrote in message
The guy 3 houses up from me moved a 780 sq/ft house 15 feet back and then

built
a 2000+ foot house over top of it. I asked him several times why this

wasn't a
teardown and never did get an answer that made any sense.
I suppose there may be some subtle permit or tax excuse but I don't have a

clue
what it might be. There is no historical link and his taxes will be based

on
what he ends up with, at market value. Since the lot was already

developed,
permits are not an issue.
The only thing he said that might make a bit of sense was he could live

there.
I think you could rent for the cost of moving the house and the added

costs of
building around the existing structure.
They have the new shell dried in and they are tearing out the old house,
hauling it out in wheelbarrows I suppose.
My wife is a builder and she just shakes her head when she drives by.

bumtracks

I knew a guy that bought a home the interstate was gonna flatten,, he paid
less than $500 for the house including legal papers.

Moved it less than a mile for hundreds of dollars and set in on a lot next
to his fairly nice home,,, wasn't long before he lived in it, the wife and
3 kids lived in the big house.
Beat the cost of a divorce and eventually that house looked nice & fit the
neighborhood except for the fact it was raised with a crawl space. Nice
little home.

"Halvey" wrote in message
[...]

You might like the $1000 per mile figure, but I think you'll find in
reality it costs an order of magnitude more than that to move even a
small house. I'd like to see anyone move a house 2 miles for $2K.
That wouldn't even cover the work of jacking up the house to prepare
for the move.