bumtracks

I knew a guy that bought a home the interstate was gonna flatten,, he paid
less than $500 for the house including legal papers.

Moved it less than a mile for hundreds of dollars and set in on a lot next
to his fairly nice home,,, wasn't long before he lived in it, the wife and
3 kids lived in the big house.
Beat the cost of a divorce and eventually that house looked nice & fit the
neighborhood except for the fact it was raised with a crawl space. Nice
little home.

"Halvey" wrote in message
Driving down a street in my neighborhood yesterday, we happened upon a
HUGE operation where two houses, or maybe two halves of one house, were
being moved onto a lot. Now, this is right across the street from some
pretty upscale houses, and on a set of blocks that are definitely going
to be appreciating in value as time goes on.

The house/s that they were moving in where...to put it mildy...crap.
2x4 exterior walls, uninsulated, old wiring, 17 layers of roof, etc.
They had to rip the chimney out in order to move them, as well as take
off what looked like could have been a porch or something. Basically,
it looked like a barn.

So my question is, under what situation does this make financial sense,
to bring in what, to my moderately trained eye looked like a teardown,
and put it on a really nice lot? My wife and I figure that it *was* a
teardown, and instead, somebody said "I'll take it!" and, for the price
of moving it, plunked it down on their lot and plan on renting it. I
would assume that because it's an 'existing' house, they can circumvent
some code requirements upgrading electrical service, insulating, etc.