Halvey

1. Not really my neighbor, so if they were there, I would have no idea
who they were.

2. I'm willing to bet ($1 max) that the owner was nowhere to be found.
To put a house like that (crap) on a lot like that (golden), I'm
thinking that it's somebody who could give a rip about quality and/or
neighbors and/or street appeal and/or etc, and is looking to put a
rentable edifice on his property asap. BTW, this lot is 7 block S of
the second largest university in the state...so...landlord's wet dream.

I like the $1000/mile figure mentioned earlier. We were able to trace
the path of where it came from right up to Hwy99, since all other
streets were small enough to require no parking signs and other measures
to make sure a house would fit through. The thing sure looked like it
came from the country, but at that $/distance figure, I'd bet it was
more local than we thought.

William Deans wrote:
Greetings,

This may sound like a strange reply --- but why don't you introduce yourself
to your neighbor? Tell him you are interested. I am sure he would love to
tell you all about it.

William

"Halvey" wrote in message

Driving down a street in my neighborhood yesterday, we happened upon a
HUGE operation where two houses, or maybe two halves of one house, were
being moved onto a lot. Now, this is right across the street from some
pretty upscale houses, and on a set of blocks that are definitely going
to be appreciating in value as time goes on.

The house/s that they were moving in where...to put it mildy...crap.
2x4 exterior walls, uninsulated, old wiring, 17 layers of roof, etc.
They had to rip the chimney out in order to move them, as well as take
off what looked like could have been a porch or something. Basically,
it looked like a barn.

So my question is, under what situation does this make financial sense,
to bring in what, to my moderately trained eye looked like a teardown,
and put it on a really nice lot? My wife and I figure that it *was* a
teardown, and instead, somebody said "I'll take it!" and, for the price
of moving it, plunked it down on their lot and plan on renting it. I
would assume that because it's an 'existing' house, they can circumvent
some code requirements upgrading electrical service, insulating, etc.