Jeff Wisnia

Default Anyone hang fake shutters the "right way"

I was just wondering if anyone putting up those ubiquitous
non-functional louvered window shutters ever stuck them to the wall with
the louveres pointing in the direction they would if those shutters were
real?

Did the practice of puting them up "inside-out" begin the first time
someone nailed a pair to a wall?

Not to mention that most of the ones I see are the wrong width to cover
the window if they *were* hinged.

Happy Holidays guys,

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"
Tom

Besides, if the louvers on these fakes were for real, and oriented as such,
water would be conducted behind the shutter and rot the wall or whatever else
behind it. Tom
Work at your leisure!
Jeff Wisnia

Tom wrote:
Besides, if the louvers on these fakes were for real, and oriented as such,
water would be conducted behind the shutter and rot the wall or whatever else
behind it. Tom
Work at your leisure!

Well, I'd go without shutters rather than use fake plastic ones, I hate
them as much as I do vinyl siding. To each his own I guess, must be my age.

With regard to rotting the wall, it wouldn't take rocket science to
figure out how to space real wood shutters half an inch off the wall and
avoid that. I never heard about walls rotting behind real hinged shutters.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"

Brikp

I've thought about it but there are so many other giveaways they are fake
and it would just be a pain to explain to everyone why....

What I DID do, that's a bit more in keeping with original intent...

I installed louvered on the second floor and raised panel on the first
floor. This was originally done when security was of a concern for the first
floor and ventilation was of concern on the second. My louvered on the
second floor are upside down though.

I would love to have a place with real, operable, shutters. Why don't houses
in hurricane areas have them? Seems people either have metal roll down storm
shades or scrap plywood over their windows. Makes me laugh when I see a
window flanked with fake shutters and some plywood nailed up between!

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
I was just wondering if anyone putting up those ubiquitous non-functional
louvered window shutters ever stuck them to the wall with the louveres
pointing in the direction they would if those shutters were real?

Did the practice of puting them up "inside-out" begin the first time
someone nailed a pair to a wall?

Not to mention that most of the ones I see are the wrong width to cover
the window if they *were* hinged.

Happy Holidays guys,

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"

David Martel

Jeff,

I think real shutters are bifold with each panel covering about 1/4 of
the opening. So, the fake ones are installed in the proper orientation.

Dave M.

George E. Cawthon

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
Tom wrote:

Besides, if the louvers on these fakes were for real, and oriented as
such,
water would be conducted behind the shutter and rot the wall or
whatever else
behind it. Tom
Work at your leisure!

Well, I'd go without shutters rather than use fake plastic ones, I hate
them as much as I do vinyl siding. To each his own I guess, must be my age.

With regard to rotting the wall, it wouldn't take rocket science to
figure out how to space real wood shutters half an inch off the wall and
avoid that. I never heard about walls rotting behind real hinged shutters.

Jeff

You are absolutely right, fake shutters look tacky. Get rid
of them. How about adding a tacky fake plastic chimney on
the roof, maybe one on each end of the house. Bet there's
some other tacky fake fixtures that no longer serve a
purpose that we add also. Fake shutters are almost as tacky
as pink flamingos on the lawn. But ymmv.
Jeff Wisnia

David Martel wrote:

Jeff,

I think real shutters are bifold with each panel covering about 1/4 of
the opening. So, the fake ones are installed in the proper orientation.

Dave M.

That would be a handy excuse for the ones which are only about 1/4
window with each. G

The first New England home I owned circa 1961 had "real" shutters on the
windows. Each was one half the width of the window, with hinges they
could be lifted up and off of and springy catches "screwed to the wall"
about midpoint on the bottom edges of the panels to keep them held
against the house when they were open.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"
David Martel

Jeff,

A really good hypothesis should not be abandoned merely because of facts.
I have fake shutters on the front of my house and they are approximately 1/2
the width of the windows. I have seen bifold shutters on some homes but my
recollection is that these shutters are on the inside. The shutters are
stored against the casements.

Dave M.