Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott

Default vendor for older-style circuit breakers?

Who's a good online vendor for older-style circuit breakers? This is not
an especially old house, having been built in the early 1970's, but the
breaker style is one that the local HD's, Lowes, do not carry.
--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
71 Type 2: the Wonderbus

I made a mental note and now I can't remember where I put it!
------------------------------------
Joseph Meehan

Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott wrote:
Who's a good online vendor for older-style circuit breakers? This is
not an especially old house, having been built in the early 1970's,
but the breaker style is one that the local HD's, Lowes, do not carry.

Best bet is likely your local electrical supply house. Bring in an old
one. The DIY stores don't stock a wide range.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

SQLit

et wrote in message
Who's a good online vendor for older-style circuit breakers? This is not
an especially old house, having been built in the early 1970's, but the
breaker style is one that the local HD's, Lowes, do not carry.
--

Do you want to give a clue to the manufacture of the breaker? What exactly
are you looking for? single poles or double poles.

Dan Hall

Don't think this uncommon- even in newer installations it depends on what
the local contractors are using. I found this out when I tried to replace
some Gould breakers that I knew were still in production but not available
locally. I had done the main box a few years earlier and used a discounted
type system. Now I know why it was discounted! What ever is common in your
area at the time ( or very shortly after) is what the suppliers carry. -Dan

et wrote in message
Who's a good online vendor for older-style circuit breakers? This is not
an especially old house, having been built in the early 1970's, but the
breaker style is one that the local HD's, Lowes, do not carry.
--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
71 Type 2: the Wonderbus
84 Westphalia: "Mellow Yellow (The Electrical Banana)"
KG6RCR
------------------------------------
Today's Deep Thought:

I made a mental note and now I can't remember where I put it!
------------------------------------

Speedy Jim

Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott wrote:

Who's a good online vendor for older-style circuit breakers? This is not
an especially old house, having been built in the early 1970's, but the
breaker style is one that the local HD's, Lowes, do not carry.

Hey, Mike, post a digital pic on some web site (no attachments)
if you can't identify the brand.

Obscure breakers pop up on eBay too.
Jim

et wrote in message

Who's a good online vendor for older-style circuit breakers? This is not
an especially old house, having been built in the early 1970's, but the
breaker style is one that the local HD's, Lowes, do not carry.
--

Do you want to give a clue to the manufacture of the breaker? What exactly
are you looking for? single poles or double poles.

I hadn't taken the part out yet -- it's helping the furnace keep the
house warm. I'm just looking for a pointer to a vendor online that has
generally come to be known as the good source for a broad variety of
electrical parts. The plan (which is probably a good one) is to sit down
with the part right next to me here on the kitchen table, and browse
that vendor's online catalog, while sipping a nice cup of coffee and see
if'n I can't find that part.

If I fail dismally, then I would next post whatever is written on the
part as a request for help finding a replacement. But I like catalogs.
In other words, I'm asking where a good fishing hole is, not for someone
to find me a certain fish.

So . . . is there a generally-recognized online vendor of lots and lots
of swell household-type electrical parts, including older-styles of
circuit breakers?

Speedy Jim wrote:
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott wrote:

Who's a good online vendor for older-style circuit breakers? This is
not an especially old house, having been built in the early 1970's,
but the breaker style is one that the local HD's, Lowes, do not carry.

Hey, Mike, post a digital pic on some web site (no attachments)
if you can't identify the brand.

Obscure breakers pop up on eBay too.
Jim

Will do, Jim. Right now its keeping the furnace on. We are having a cold
snap out here in SoCal. The mercury has dipped down into the mid-40's
(F). For a SoCalifornian, that is brisk weather. Brrr. My lovely wife
would cry if I shut the furnace off right now. I'll wait until midday.
Stupid breaker box is buried behind some kind of giant philodenron.
Looks like a man-eater. I'll need protective gear.

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
71 Type 2: the Wonderbus
84 Westphalia: "Mellow Yellow (The Electrical Banana)"
KG6RCR
Richard B. \(Bruce\) Leiby

"Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott"
et wrote in message
Who's a good online vendor for older-style circuit breakers? Mike "Rocket
J Squirrel" Elliott
------------------------------------

Mike;
Don't know if this source will sell circuit breakers in "onesey-twosy"
quantities OR to the public (as it is a source for us pro's), but you can
try calling Breaker King at 1-800-843-6797 or Fax them at 1-419-663-6903.
There is also Oregon Breakers here in Portland, OR. 1-503-736-0921. One of
them may be able to help you. If your circuit breaker panel is one of the
"American" style, the plug-in type like GE, ITE (Gould), Murray, Arrow-Hart,
Challenger, Bryant/Westinghouse, American, then Cutler-Hammer (who now own
Bryant/Westinghouse) has a BR-style UL rated "classified" circuit breaker
that is UL approved in many of these old panels. They are only available in
"full size" forms, not in the "thin", "mini", "wafer", "twin" sizes. Hope
one of these answers will help you in the right direction!!!!
Bruce

et wrote in message

[...]

Thanks, Bruce! It's clearly time for me to clamber behind the man-eating
philodendron and open up that breaker panel and see what the heck style
of breakers are lurking within.