SnowBlower

Default Snowblower recommendation for Toronto

Hi,

I live in Canada, Toronto and this year I decided to take care of snow in
driveway myself, instead of hiring company to do that.
My driveway is 2 cars wide and about 3 cars in length. Would you recommend
electric snowblower for such driveway? I have power outlet nearby, just not
sure if it will have enough Amp for snowblower.
Or should I consider looking into gas powered snowblowers? Then, one stage
or 2 stage? I'll be cleaning just one driveway, I do not want to buy bigger
than I need equipment.

Thanks

Wanda

"SnowBlower" wrote in message
. ..
Hi,

I live in Canada, Toronto and this year I decided to take care of snow in
driveway myself, instead of hiring company to do that.
My driveway is 2 cars wide and about 3 cars in length. Would you recommend
electric snowblower for such driveway? I have power outlet nearby, just

not
sure if it will have enough Amp for snowblower.
Or should I consider looking into gas powered snowblowers? Then, one stage
or 2 stage? I'll be cleaning just one driveway, I do not want to buy

bigger
than I need equipment.

Thanks

I'm alway's looking for a man with bigger equipment. Little equipment just
won't cut it.. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Eric Tonks

For a driveway that size, you don't want to spend all evening to clear it
with a wimpy electric and if you get a big snowfall or heavy wet snow, which
is common in the GTA, you need lots of power. I have found that a 8 hp
Airens, 2 stage at 26" wide can clear my Markham driveway in about 30 to 45
minutes depending on how much snow falls. It also has the guts to move that
very wet heavy snow that we get, most anything can move light fluffy snow,
but the wet stuff can actually freeze in the discharge chute if the blower
doesn't have the power to move it out and onto the side of the driveway.

"Wanda" wrote in message

[...]

m Ransley

Wet snow, or light snow, how much. A single stage may do only 5 inches
of wet if it is 6hp plus. Go to a local shop that sells and services
them, get their ideas. Electric id say no.

toller

I am across the lake from you.
I suffered with an electric for a few years. You have to make sure nothing
else is on the circuit or they don't get enough amperage. Even then they
won't do more than a few inchs; even less if wet.

I have had a 5hp single stage for several years and am happy with it. I can
do 3 inchs in half an hour or so. Big snow falls have require repeated
clearings, but that doesn't happen too often; especially since you get half
as much snow as we do.

Dave Balderstone

In article , SnowBlower
wrote:

I live in Canada, Toronto and this year I decided to take care of snow in
driveway myself, instead of hiring company to do that.
My driveway is 2 cars wide and about 3 cars in length. Would you recommend
electric snowblower for such driveway? I have power outlet nearby, just not
sure if it will have enough Amp for snowblower.
Or should I consider looking into gas powered snowblowers? Then, one stage
or 2 stage? I'll be cleaning just one driveway, I do not want to buy bigger
than I need equipment.

What's wrong with calling in the army?

;-D
PaPaPeng

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 14:33:57 -0500, "SnowBlower"
wrote:

Or should I consider looking into gas powered snowblowers? Then, one stage
or 2 stage? I'll be cleaning just one driveway, I do not want to buy bigger
than I need equipment.

3 HP gas powered single stage TORO. Compact and easy to store. Does
a good job. I have a 30 x 36 foot driveway, 200 feet of sidewalk and
30 feet of pathway. I should have bought mine a long time ago.
Punch

What's wrong with calling in the army?

;-D

people laugh about that, but I agree with it, they were just sitting around
eating each others barf anyway.

m Ransley

3 hp Toro ,. I have one , it is crap in big snow, 4 inches +

Talk to your local dealer, not us here........

Waldo

Punch wrote:
What's wrong with calling in the army?

;-D

people laugh about that, but I agree with it, they were just sitting around
eating each others barf anyway.

I think you're a twit! You should have a little more respect for the
people that serve your country!

SnowBlower

Dealer tries to sell not what you need but what you can afford. They say
bigger will do job faster, but I am willing that job will take a bit longer.
At the same time I want to have something I can use..
Anyway this newgroups really helped me here a lot, so that is why I asked my
question here.

Thanks you all for answer

"m Ransley" wrote in message
3 hp Toro ,. I have one , it is crap in big snow, 4 inches +

Talk to your local dealer, not us here........

IHateSpam3521

Waldo - you probably just do not know full story. Few years ago when Toronto
had a big snowstorm, our ex mayor Lastman called in army to help clean snow
:-). Many other cities were joking about that later....

"Waldo" wrote in message

Punch wrote:
What's wrong with calling in the army?

;-D

people laugh about that, but I agree with it, they were just sitting
around eating each others barf anyway.

I think you're a twit! You should have a little more respect for the
people that serve your country!

Waldo

IHateSpam3521 wrote:
Waldo - you probably just do not know full story. Few years ago when Toronto
had a big snowstorm, our ex mayor Lastman called in army to help clean snow
:-). Many other cities were joking about that later....

Actually, I was living in Brampton at the time and commuted every day
into downtown Toronto to U of T where I worked and driving conditions
were extremely bad for over a week. I don't object to the fact that
people made a joke out of it afterwards. I thought it was kind of goofy
for Mell to do that to.

What I object to is the part about "they were just sitting around eating
each others (sic) barf anyway". I find this kind of comment, not only
very untrue, but extremely degrading and demeaning to the people who are
prepared and willing to go out and do our nations dirty work, when ever
and where ever, they're called upon.