michael huffaker

Default Experience with Harbor Freight tile cutter

I bought the 16" score type cutter that had all the attachments for cutting
straight and circular holes in tile up to 5/8" thick. I bought it about a
year ago knowing that I had some tile projects coming up in the future. The
price was $21.95 (regular price is $27.95).

I just got it out and with minor assembly was ready to test cut a piece of
3/8" tile. I scored it and then tried to break it as defined in the
'manual'.The cast aluminum(?) handle socket(fulcrum?) snapped in half on the
first try. Other than the score the tile looked untouched. I guess the
lesson learned is that you get what you pay for.
Being more than a year ago I do not have the receipt(or cant find it) so I
guess it is a good lesson that I will remember.

--
Michael Huffaker

Walter R.

Lesson:

Whenever you buy something in anticipation of future needs: Try it out
within the 30 day return period. Then you can set it aside, knowing that it
works.

--

Walter
The Happy Iconoclast www.rationality.net

"michael huffaker" wrote in message
I bought the 16" score type cutter that had all the attachments for cutting
straight and circular holes in tile up to 5/8" thick. I bought it about a
year ago knowing that I had some tile projects coming up in the future.
The price was $21.95 (regular price is $27.95).

I just got it out and with minor assembly was ready to test cut a piece of
3/8" tile. I scored it and then tried to break it as defined in the
'manual'.The cast aluminum(?) handle socket(fulcrum?) snapped in half on
the first try. Other than the score the tile looked untouched. I guess
the lesson learned is that you get what you pay for.
Being more than a year ago I do not have the receipt(or cant find it) so I
guess it is a good lesson that I will remember.

--
Michael Huffaker

William Deans

Greetings,

Harbor Freight might take it back anyway. If you are planning a large
purchase anytime soon that would be a good time to make the return.

If they still sell the same cutter another option might be to buy one just
like it. You could stick the old one back in the box and return it along
with the receipt a week later.*

Hope this helps,
William

*Of course that would make you a criminal. Saint Peter might not let you in
at the pearly gates, etc, etc.

[...]

TURTLE

"michael huffaker" wrote in message
I bought the 16" score type cutter that had all the attachments for cutting
straight and circular holes in tile up to 5/8" thick. I bought it about a year
ago knowing that I had some tile projects coming up in the future. The price
was $21.95 (regular price is $27.95).

I just got it out and with minor assembly was ready to test cut a piece of
3/8" tile. I scored it and then tried to break it as defined in the
'manual'.The cast aluminum(?) handle socket(fulcrum?) snapped in half on the
first try. Other than the score the tile looked untouched. I guess the
lesson learned is that you get what you pay for.
Being more than a year ago I do not have the receipt(or cant find it) so I
guess it is a good lesson that I will remember.

--
Michael Huffaker

This is Turtle.

If your going to deal with Harbor Freight you better know the brand and item
your buying and not take MAY WORK BRAND. They have some good stuff buy , but you
better know the brand before ordering. I like the Milwalkee Electric Drill type
Sheetmetal Shears at $154.00 and at the my wholesale warehouse they run over
$200.00. The 25 foot trouble shooting lite at $7.99 and at walmarts they are
about $12.99. Also some of the Milwalkee & Dewalt electric drills too.

Quality is not in their stuff at all and you have to be the judge of brand they
sell as to the quality they have on their stuff. If you don't know the brands
they sell and their quality of the brand. Stay away from them.

TURTLE

Childfree Scott

If it's a store branded item I'd at least try to exchange it without
the reciept. The only really bad thing I ever got from Harbor Freight
was a jig saw, specifically:

But I was able to fix the problem myself.

TURTLE

"Childfree Scott" wrote in message
om...
If it's a store branded item I'd at least try to exchange it without
the reciept. The only really bad thing I ever got from Harbor Freight
was a jig saw, specifically:

But I was able to fix the problem myself.

This is Turtle

Don't get off the wall brand names on stuff like '' Maywork Manufactoring Co.
''.

Always get a name you know.

TURTLE

tiling help needed -- thanks! William Deans Home Repair 5 November 11th 04 03:09 PM
Hand Held Tile Cutter TheScullster UK diy 2 June 19th 04 01:02 PM
Florida Tile LD Home Repair 16 March 2nd 04 11:52 PM
ceramic tile on sheet rock question TM Home Repair 21 December 13th 03 06:58 PM