rkpatt

Default Basement interior perimeter drainage system ?

I am dealing with a wet basement and looks like I will need to install
a remedial interior perimeter french drain system leading to a sump.
I know that I can use sock covered perforated pipe and gravel but I
have heard that some of the local big waterproof contractors are using
this labor saving modular no gravel system (or something like it)
http://www.j-drain.com/pbasement.htm but I wonder it it is as good .
Joseph Meehan

rkpatt wrote:
I am dealing with a wet basement and looks like I will need to install
a remedial interior perimeter french drain system leading to a sump.
I know that I can use sock covered perforated pipe and gravel but I
have heard that some of the local big waterproof contractors are using
this labor saving modular no gravel system (or something like it)
http://www.j-drain.com/pbasement.htm but I wonder it it is as good .

It looks like it would work the same and cost more.

You are aware that fixing the problem before it gets inside is the right
way of addressing the problem and you have considered such alternatives and
have decided that they are not practical?

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Jim Elbrecht

On 29 Oct 2004 05:45:04 -0700, (rkpatt) wrote:

I am dealing with a wet basement and looks like I will need to install
a remedial interior perimeter french drain system leading to a sump.
I know that I can use sock covered perforated pipe and gravel but I
have heard that some of the local big waterproof contractors are using
this labor saving modular no gravel system (or something like it)
http://www.j-drain.com/pbasement.htm but I wonder it it is as good .

Before you spend a lot of time on this. . . . I started an
interior perimeter drain a year ago. [100 yr old house, stone
foundation, 6' ceilings, clay soil- basement has been damp forever]

End of last July God had enough and sent 4 inches of rain down in a
couple hours. 2 walls of the basement collapsed. My insurance
company doesn't cover hydrostatic pressure so the job was on my dime.

But now-- $6000 & a thousand man-hours later my cellar has a footing,
parged/tarred/insulated block walls and an 8' ceiling . . . the
outside is regraded and for what that misses an *exterior* perimeter
drain takes away. [I couldn't resist also putting in an interior
drain, but it is dry so far]

I'm leaving the sump holes until next spring, but from the looks, I
might fill them in. The basement is already dry enough [and high
enough] for a rough workbench-- and next summer might see the
beginnings of some living space down there.

Save your money and effort and get the water before it gets into your
house.

Jim