Jim Elbrecht

On 29 Oct 2004 05:45:04 -0700, (rkpatt) wrote:

I am dealing with a wet basement and looks like I will need to install
a remedial interior perimeter french drain system leading to a sump.
I know that I can use sock covered perforated pipe and gravel but I
have heard that some of the local big waterproof contractors are using
this labor saving modular no gravel system (or something like it)
http://www.j-drain.com/pbasement.htm but I wonder it it is as good .

Before you spend a lot of time on this. . . . I started an
interior perimeter drain a year ago. [100 yr old house, stone
foundation, 6' ceilings, clay soil- basement has been damp forever]

End of last July God had enough and sent 4 inches of rain down in a
couple hours. 2 walls of the basement collapsed. My insurance
company doesn't cover hydrostatic pressure so the job was on my dime.

But now-- $6000 & a thousand man-hours later my cellar has a footing,
parged/tarred/insulated block walls and an 8' ceiling . . . the
outside is regraded and for what that misses an *exterior* perimeter
drain takes away. [I couldn't resist also putting in an interior
drain, but it is dry so far]

I'm leaving the sump holes until next spring, but from the looks, I
might fill them in. The basement is already dry enough [and high
enough] for a rough workbench-- and next summer might see the
beginnings of some living space down there.

Save your money and effort and get the water before it gets into your
house.

Jim