brian s

Default Finishing garage pegboard question?

Unfinished garage. I just stapled insulation and added electrical.

Can pegboard be attached w/o drywall been behind it? I have about 30'
wall I would like to have 24' of pegboard.

Thanks

Joseph Meehan

I've done it. Worked fine. I finished it with a good grade of paint.
I used white to brighten the garage.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

"brian s" wrote in message
Unfinished garage. I just stapled insulation and added electrical.

Can pegboard be attached w/o drywall been behind it? I have about 30'
wall I would like to have 24' of pegboard.

Thanks

jhill

Yes. I built a wookroom inside a metal building and put 2 foot high
pegboard above all the workbenches, drywall everywhere else. Set the top of
the pegboard as high as I could reach comfortably. In this case, I had to
put shims between the 1/4" thick pegboard and the studs so it would come out
flush to the 1/2 inch thick drywall.
The only thing I wish I had done is fasten the pegboard to the studs with
screws so I could easly replace a damaged section, and, the pegboard flexes
in and out between the studs, so the joint at top and bottom between the
drywall and the edge of the pegboard rubs and flakes off the drywall. I
should have put blocking horizontally between the studs at that joint. If
you are not going to put wallboard next to the pegboard, then you would not
have this problem.
"brian s" wrote in message
Unfinished garage. I just stapled insulation and added electrical.

Can pegboard be attached w/o drywall been behind it? I have about 30'
wall I would like to have 24' of pegboard.

Thanks

tonu

That is what I used. My concern yet is -- in the process of installing
hooks through the holes in the pegbard do I poke holes in the kraft paper?
Since I nailed the pegboard on, it is difficult to pull out a section and
see.
newsMWfd.327102$D%.55954@attbi_s51...

"brian s" wrote in message
Unfinished garage. I just stapled insulation and added electrical.

Can pegboard be attached w/o drywall been behind it? I have about 30'
wall I would like to have 24' of pegboard.

Thanks

anon

"brian s" wrote in message
Unfinished garage. I just stapled insulation and added electrical.

Can pegboard be attached w/o drywall been behind it? I have about 30'
wall I would like to have 24' of pegboard.

Thanks

I had the same situation, first in a metal building then in an
unfinished garage.

I used 1/4" TEMPERED 4'x8' pegboard and it was stiff enough that there
was no flexing - the spacing in the metal building was the full width
(8') but I mounted the pegboard on 2"x2" frame with a couple of 2"x2"
vertical pieces. In addition to spacing the pegboard away from the
wall, it stiffened it as well.

I just moved the whole unit from the metal building to the unfinished
garage - still works fine.
ROBMURR

I used 1/4" TEMPERED 4'x8' pegboard and it was stiff enough that there
was no flexing - the spacing in the metal building was the full width
(8') but I mounted the pegboard on 2"x2" frame with a couple of 2"x2"
vertical pieces. In addition to spacing the pegboard away from the
wall, it stiffened it as well.

I did the same thing with the thick board that is white in color.
Really made it brighter in the garage.