W. Scott Wohlgemuth

Default Dishwasher Repair

I have a 4 year old Frigidaire Stainless steel front dishwasher model
FDB989GF. The lower heating element must have come loose from the clips and
melted a hole in the lower part of the tub. This is a one piece tub and I
have the PDF instruction manual that shows me how to change it. My question
is:

A) is there a glue or epoxy that is even worth trying to fix the tub liner
in the environment of a dishwasher

or

B) Could anyone estimate the time it would take to replace the liner as
opposed to purchasing a new dishwasher. I would be doing the replacement
myself so it would be cost of parts + my own labor rate.

Any comments or experience in this would be greatly appreciated, via email
or post here.

Regards,

Scott

Art

A lot of dishwashers guarantee their tubs forever. You might double check
yours before taking it apart. I think with the maytag, for example, if the
tub ever leaks they replace the whole dishwasher free..... and the warranty
is for a very long time.

"W. Scott Wohlgemuth" wrote in message
[...]

W. Scott Wohlgemuth

A lot of dishwashers guarantee their tubs forever. You might double check
yours before taking it apart. I think with the maytag, for example, if

the
tub ever leaks they replace the whole dishwasher free..... and the

warranty
is for a very long time.

I just went through the warranty thing with a GE Microwave that was 1 month
out of warranty on Labor and 5 years Parts on the tube. It was the tube
that caught fire but they wanted over and a above the cost of the whole
microwave to just verify if it was a warranty issue or not. Then they never
showed up for the appt and they wanted the service hours to be between 8 am
and 5 pm, then they were a week late, then they called a week later and
would not leave a number to call back on. GE also told me that it would
cost me to take it to a auth. GE service center to verify that it was a MFG
defect to be covered by parts only...... I did really like this
microwave so I gave it the all to get it fixed. Point being........ do
I think that Frigidare will replace the tub and perform the labor for free
based on the fact that a heating element came loose just under silverware
bracket be fixed for free...... I doubt it..... warranty or not.

Scott

Art

Well Frigidaire has one of the worse dishwasher repair records..... beat
only I think by Asko. I had an Asko and when it broke 4 times in 6 years I
thru it away even though it was a $800 washer and they offered to supply the
defective pump if I paid for labor which would have been less than $200.
Bought myself a 3 level Maytag which isn't as quiet but holds a lot of
dishes. I would dump the troubleprone Frigidaire if it were me. I hate
washing dishes.

Also, just to mention again, in the Maytag case they do not attempt to
replace a leaking tub..... they replace the whole unit. If Frigidaire
warranty says the same in their warranty it still might be worth pursuing
despite your GE experience. They may just give you a coupon to take to the
store to get a new dishwasher. That happened with a toilet I owned.

[...]

jeff

"W. Scott Wohlgemuth" wrote in message ...

Hi,

I have a 4 year old Frigidaire Stainless steel front dishwasher model
FDB989GF. The lower heating element must have come loose from the clips and
melted a hole in the lower part of the tub. This is a one piece tub and I
have the PDF instruction manual that shows me how to change it.

I'd be interested in seeing this PDF file!!

My question
is:

A) is there a glue or epoxy that is even worth trying to fix the tub liner
in the environment of a dishwasher

Yes, it would have to be food grade since the things you put in there
you will be eating off of! One things about patching is it never an
100% repair, the patch often wears or become weak and a leak could
occur....if you want to take a chance at a floor or water damage,
there are some products available to try a patch job.

B) Could anyone estimate the time it would take to replace the liner as
opposed to purchasing a new dishwasher. I would be doing the replacement
myself so it would be cost of parts + my own labor rate.

Never changed a plastic liner one yet, on the older metal liners ones
it would take me about 4-5 hours to remove all items and to transfer
them over to the new liner.
To R&R a d/w it is often about 30-60 minutes ( as long as the original
install was done correctly ).

Any comments or experience in this would be greatly appreciated, via email
or post here.

Have you contacted Frigidaire? They have replaced some of these with
the burnt holes in the liner.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/