chrisb

Default Drywall Damage

Hello:

I live in a multi-story condominium, and the neighbor who lives above me
recently had some plumbing related problems in his bathroom that resulted in
my bathroom being flooded.

I would estimate that several gallons of water ran through his floor and out
a vent in my ceiling over a period of about five minutes. The ceiling has
been drying for several days but there are still water marks on the drywall,
mainly in the areas where the floor and ceiling meet.

I was wondering under what circumstances I should request that the drywall
be replaced. If the drywall is permanently water marked but firm to the
touch, is replacement necessary? Would it be wise to request replacement
because of possible mold growth even if the drywall doesn't appear damaged?

In short, I would like to have the ceiling replaced only if necessary, and
would appreciate any advice.

Thanks,
Chris

ROBMURR

the drywall is probably ok. The watermarks
can be covered by a couple coats of Kilz
primer and then repainted usually.
Try that first.
SQLit

"chrisb" wrote in message
[...]

What does your HOA say? Seems to me the causer has labiality for your damage

---

ClaudCar

while I can certainly appreciate your wanting to not make any more hardship
for your neighbor - it is THEIR responsibility to make you whole. Their
insurance will make it all better for you, including replacing or repainting
your sheetrock. That is why people have insurance is for accidents/mishaps,
so that no one else has to pay (time, talent or $) for it.
______________________
Claudia
Totus Tuus
"chrisb" wrote in message
[...]

Phisherman

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 13:05:20 GMT, "chrisb"
wrote:

[...]

Make sure the wall is completely dry. I'd probably set a fan to blow
on the area for a few days. Use a trouble light against the
ceiling/wall with your eye against the wall/ceiling to check for bumps
or sunken areas. Sand or fill with drywall compound. Prime and use a
kitchen/bath paint. If the drywall is firm, it should not need
replacement.

Chet Hayes

"chrisb" wrote in message
[...]

Mold doesn't grow from a few gallons of water that ran for 5 mins. To
get any kind of serious mold problem requires areas be wet for a long
time. The typical scenario for a mold problem is a slow leak in an
enclosed area that goes for months or years unfixed.

I agree with the advice to let it dry and inspect it. If it appears
sound, then spackle and some stain killer should do the job.
MLD

news
wrote:

[...]

Do the right thing---call in your insurance company and have them give an
assessment of the damage. Don't depend on your own evaluation. Just had
the very same thing happen to my daughter. Popcorn ceiling, wall stains,
some wet rug etc--ended up with over a $4000 damage estimate from the
insurance adjuster alone and he even left out some stuff according to the
people that have to take care of the ceiling. Why should you do all the
work, have it done professionally and since it wasn't your fault you won't
even have to pay your deductible.
MLD