MLD

"Phisherman" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 13:05:20 GMT, "chrisb"
wrote:

Hello:

I live in a multi-story condominium, and the neighbor who lives above me
recently had some plumbing related problems in his bathroom that resulted

in
my bathroom being flooded.

I would estimate that several gallons of water ran through his floor and

out
a vent in my ceiling over a period of about five minutes. The ceiling

has
been drying for several days but there are still water marks on the

drywall,
mainly in the areas where the floor and ceiling meet.

I was wondering under what circumstances I should request that the

drywall
be replaced. If the drywall is permanently water marked but firm to the
touch, is replacement necessary? Would it be wise to request replacement
because of possible mold growth even if the drywall doesn't appear

damaged?

In short, I would like to have the ceiling replaced only if necessary,

and
would appreciate any advice.

Thanks,
Chris

Make sure the wall is completely dry. I'd probably set a fan to blow
on the area for a few days. Use a trouble light against the
ceiling/wall with your eye against the wall/ceiling to check for bumps
or sunken areas. Sand or fill with drywall compound. Prime and use a
kitchen/bath paint. If the drywall is firm, it should not need
replacement.

Do the right thing---call in your insurance company and have them give an
assessment of the damage. Don't depend on your own evaluation. Just had
the very same thing happen to my daughter. Popcorn ceiling, wall stains,
some wet rug etc--ended up with over a $4000 damage estimate from the
insurance adjuster alone and he even left out some stuff according to the
people that have to take care of the ceiling. Why should you do all the
work, have it done professionally and since it wasn't your fault you won't
even have to pay your deductible.
MLD