Scott

Default Q: Condesation Between Window Panes

In between the panes of glass on almost all of the windows in my home, I
have noticed an increase of condensation (small droplets of water and
'fogging').

Is there any way to resolve this problem without replacing all of the
windows? How can I identify the cause?

Thanks for any help -

Joseph Meehan

Scott wrote:
In between the panes of glass on almost all of the windows in my home, I
have noticed an increase of condensation (small droplets of water and
'fogging').

Is there any way to resolve this problem without replacing all of the
windows? How can I identify the cause?

Thanks for any help -

There are two possibilities.

Most likely they are double pane windows. That moisture means they have
lost their seal and there is no way to fix the glass. The glass needs to be
replaced. You do not need to replace the windows. You do not need to deal
with the original window manufacturer or contractor. If they are still
under warrantee, then you will want to deal with them and many of these
windows carry a long warrantee.

If they are storm windows, it is a matter of sealing the interior window
better and venting the exterior window better. The moisture comes from
inside the home most of the time.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

willshak

Scott wrote:

In between the panes of glass on almost all of the windows in my home, I
have noticed an increase of condensation (small droplets of water and
'fogging').

Is there any way to resolve this problem without replacing all of the
windows? How can I identify the cause?

Thanks for any help -

If these are insulated windows (two panes of glass with an airspace
between), the seal between the two panes has broken. There is no way to
clean them out. After a while they will turn milky white in between. If
insulated glass, was this house in a hurricane or earthquake lately? You
might break a seal in a window or glass door by slamming it, but it is
very unusual for a number of window seals to fail at once.
Scott

Thanks for your replies! I have another questions - can the fact that
moisture is appearing between the panes (where the gas used to be), be
demonstrative that the insulation is actually gone? The temperature is
starting to drop here, so I would like to know if I will be spending money
to heat the yard!

"Scott" wrote in message
In between the panes of glass on almost all of the windows in my home, I
have noticed an increase of condensation (small droplets of water and
'fogging').

Is there any way to resolve this problem without replacing all of the
windows? How can I identify the cause?

Thanks for any help -

Scott

Thanks for your reply. No earthquake or hurricanes here... I imagine it's
a low quality window - I will have to look into the warranty (I imagine
there is none left).

Scott

"willshak" wrote in message
Scott wrote:

In between the panes of glass on almost all of the windows in my home, I
have noticed an increase of condensation (small droplets of water and
'fogging').

Is there any way to resolve this problem without replacing all of the
windows? How can I identify the cause?

Thanks for any help -

If these are insulated windows (two panes of glass with an airspace
between), the seal between the two panes has broken. There is no way to
clean them out. After a while they will turn milky white in between. If
insulated glass, was this house in a hurricane or earthquake lately? You
might break a seal in a window or glass door by slamming it, but it is
very unusual for a number of window seals to fail at once.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Scott" wrote in message
Thanks for your replies! I have another questions - can the fact that
moisture is appearing between the panes (where the gas used to be), be
demonstrative that the insulation is actually gone? The temperature is
starting to drop here, so I would like to know if I will be spending money
to heat the yard!

Not as bad as just a single pane, but not as good as a sealed pane.

Joseph Meehan

Scott wrote:
Thanks for your replies! I have another questions - can the fact that
moisture is appearing between the panes (where the gas used to be), be
demonstrative that the insulation is actually gone? The temperature is
starting to drop here, so I would like to know if I will be spending money
to heat the yard!

It looses some insulation value, but it is still much better than a
single pane window and better than most storm windows.

"Scott" wrote in message
In between the panes of glass on almost all of the windows in my home, I
have noticed an increase of condensation (small droplets of water and
'fogging').

Is there any way to resolve this problem without replacing all of the
windows? How can I identify the cause?

Thanks for any help -

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Chubs

Also, how old is the house? double-pane windows pretty regularly have their
seals go bad after 10-20 years, depending on a variety of factors. It's
just a design 'feature' you've gotta live with.