KZ

Default Jenn Air Stovetop - Backdraft. Thermal Break?

I've got a Jenn Air stove with a downdraft fan vented to the outside. In
the winter, cold air seeps in from the outside (I do have a louver mounted
on the outside wall). Sometimes when it's really cold you can freeze a
small drop of water on the stovetop. I usually need to put a dishtowel over
the vent which helps a bit.

The Jenn Air website suggests installing something called a 'thermal break'
which is described as a non-metallic (so as not to conduct heat) piece in
the air duct as close as possible to the outside. No one at my local stores
has ever heard of this device.

Does anyone out there know what this looks like and possible where else I
could find one?

Thanks in advance!
KZ

SQLit

"KZ" wrote in message
I've got a Jenn Air stove with a downdraft fan vented to the outside. In
the winter, cold air seeps in from the outside (I do have a louver mounted
on the outside wall). Sometimes when it's really cold you can freeze a
small drop of water on the stovetop. I usually need to put a dishtowel

over
the vent which helps a bit.

The Jenn Air website suggests installing something called a 'thermal

break'
which is described as a non-metallic (so as not to conduct heat) piece in
the air duct as close as possible to the outside. No one at my local

stores
has ever heard of this device.

Does anyone out there know what this looks like and possible where else I
could find one?

Thanks in advance!
KZ

A thermal break is probably just a piece of pvc in the run to stop the
transference of heat/cold. You probably need an new damper outside. The
damper on my exhaust fan does not work very well especially in windy
weather. I live in a pretty temperate climate so I am not going to do
anything about it.

---

Sterling

Found this on a search:

"Cold weather installations require an additional backdraft damper
installed to minimize backward cold airflow. In addition, a non-metallic
thermal break is needed to minimize conduction of cold airflow through
the ductwork. The damper should be in the cold air side of the thermal
break, and the break should be as close as possible to where the ducting
enters the heated portion of the house."

I read this several times. Lot of double talk...OK. Thermal = heat and
break = break. So break the heat. Simple!

I built my own thermal break for my Jenn-Air and didn't know to call it
that - I cut a piece of heavy cardboard and keep it wedged in (where the
big hole is, behind the woven metal filter.

In really, really cold weather, I wrap a piece of aluminum foil over the
top vent and fit it under the edges and re-insert the top vent piece.
Pull it out when you want to grill or use the fan.

May not be pretty but it works. The cardboard is not visible so unless
it is very cold, you don't need the aluminum foil part.

I have a real love/hate with the Jenn-Air. LOVE the ability to grill
inside.

KZ wrote:
I've got a Jenn Air stove with a downdraft fan vented to the outside. In
the winter, cold air seeps in from the outside (I do have a louver mounted
on the outside wall). Sometimes when it's really cold you can freeze a
small drop of water on the stovetop. I usually need to put a dishtowel over
the vent which helps a bit.

The Jenn Air website suggests installing something called a 'thermal break'
which is described as a non-metallic (so as not to conduct heat) piece in
the air duct as close as possible to the outside. No one at my local stores
has ever heard of this device.

Does anyone out there know what this looks like and possible where else I
could find one?

Thanks in advance!
KZ

KZ

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like you do the same with foil that I do with
a dish towel.
The only problem with the cardboard idea is that you can't use the exhaust
fan when the cardboard is blocking the exhaust duct. I found the same text
in my search but I interpreted that the 'additional backdraft damper' would
be a hinged affair of some sort which open and allow exhaust to exit the
house, but not allow cold air in.

KZ

KZ wrote:
[...]

Sterling

You remove the cardboard when you are using the fan. The cardboard does
not show and keeps the cold air out when you are not using the fan. So
it works better than just covering the top vent.

If you find something that works better, please post.

P.S. I bought most of the replacement parts for the top, to hold and put
on when I sell this house. I have used Jenn-Air grill tops (in 4 other
houses) for over 30 years and this is the only one I've had that the top
pieces are of such poor quality. Only gas Jenn-Air I've ever had so that
might be the problem.

KZ wrote:

[...]

Charles Spitzer

KZ wrote:

[...]

don't they make some sort of flapper for dryer vents that could be used?

KZ

"Charles Spitzer" wrote in message

don't they make some sort of flapper for dryer vents that could be used?

I've seen those on the outside wall, just like the stove exhaust damper but
I haven't ever seen an additional one that is inside the ductwork. The
inside of my dryer is cold in the winter but the dryer door seems to do a
good job of sealing it off from getting in the house.

Perhaps not all dampers are created equal. Mine have thin plastic louvers
which open and close with the air going out. I've also seen ones which have
more of a circular plastic flapper plus a rain-hood of some sort, I think
maybe I'll give one of those a try.

Here's a different one:
http://www.improvementscatalog.com/p...e=macs=MPINK04

KZ

Posted to alt.home.repair
VYA VYA is offline

replying to Sterling, VYA wrote:
It worked great!.....I have had cold air for years. Thank you sooooo much.
What an easy fix that cost me zero dollars!!!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ak-556179-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, December 28, 2017 at 11:44:06 PM UTC-5, VYA wrote:
replying to Sterling, VYA wrote:
It worked great!.....I have had cold air for years. Thank you sooooo much.
What an easy fix that cost me zero dollars!!!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ak-556179-.htm

I just cut a piece of that flexible drawer liner stuff to fit the
rectangular grate over the opening on top of the range.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to trader_4, Linda wrote:
I put 2 insulation board covered in foil in the vent opening and bet my
heating bill goes down!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ak-556179-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Linda, Linda wrote:
It is still radiant radiating cold all over and burner is too cold to turn on
but sit is not blowing out. Floor is cold.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ak-556179-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Charles Spitzer, Linda wrote:
I have a jenn air flapper on the outside of my house with a screen back some
distance so small animals cannot get inside the crawl space. It has been
checked by the installer twice and said to be ok. I think cardboard or
insulation needs to be put where air comes in from the outside of this flapper
in back of. Maybe cardboard here.? I know a folded up piece of cloth does
not help- not warm.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ak-556179-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Linda, Linda wrote:
Sorry, above did not come out right. Space to write is too small. I was
saying cold weather makes my radiant smooth top large burner stop working.
Installer put a new part in but it still does this and Christmas is coming
soon. Cant use my burner and oven is probably off with 13 degrees
temperature outside. This is a 3000. piece of junk. I will have to remove
cardboard from outside wall under the flap and then come inside and remove the
2 insulation board in the middle section vent! But no burner!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ak-556179-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Sterling, Linda wrote:
Could I use the jenn air without the fan when using oven?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ak-556179-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, December 7, 2018 at 8:14:06 AM UTC-5, Linda wrote:
replying to Charles Spitzer, Linda wrote:
I have a jenn air flapper on the outside of my house with a screen back some
distance so small animals cannot get inside the crawl space. It has been
checked by the installer twice and said to be ok. I think cardboard or
insulation needs to be put where air comes in from the outside of this flapper
in back of. Maybe cardboard here.? I know a folded up piece of cloth does
not help- not warm.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ak-556179-.htm

You can check it yourself, see if the flap swings freely. Gluing a small
weight, like a nut to the bottom may help keep it closed. Just make sure
it still opens when the blower is on.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, December 7, 2018 at 8:14:10 AM UTC-5, Linda wrote:
replying to Sterling, Linda wrote:
Could I use the jenn air without the fan when using oven?

The exhaust fan is just there to take out smoke or odors when cooking
something on the cooktop that requires it. Only use the fan here
maybe 1% of the time. If you're running it when it;s not needed,
you're just pumping heated air from inside to the outdoor.

As I stated previously, I cut out a piece of
the flexible material that you use to line drawers and put that over
the vent opening in the cooktop. It's doesn't seal perfectly, but
it's effective enough to keep most of the cold air out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Same issue here. I have been putting foil on the grate for the exhaust and covering all the eyes with stove covers in cold weather. Kind of a pain so am looking for ideas.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ak-556179-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, March 19, 2021 at 3:01:04 PM UTC-4, BN in NC wrote:
Same issue here. I have been putting foil on the grate for the exhaust and covering all the eyes with stove covers in cold weather. Kind of a pain so am looking for ideas.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ak-556179-.htm

Did you check outside for a flapper where the vent comes out? Might be stuck open.
That turned out to be a large part of my problem. I still have a cover for the intake,
but even without, the cold air is diminished with the vent flap working. Good news
is you won't have to worry about it in another month for 9 months.