Rotation Slim

Default Furnace/AC replacement questions--

My furnace and AC are both about 15 years old, I think they are on
their last legs, so I am thinking about replacing them. AC struggles
mightilly to keep up in warm weather, leaks the water that it takes
out of the air. Furnace is just old, although no major problems.

I live in a 4 bedroom, 2 story colonial, I think 2000 square feet.
Have 7 kids so doors are never shut. Live in Michigan, cold winters,
humid summers. Don't want the kids growing up soft.. so I don't feel
the need to run AC all the time, just a few weeks a summer when it is
really hot and humid. Forced air/Natural gas.

Have a few questions:

* Is it wise to replace because it it old, or should I wait until a
breakdown? (I happen to have cash on hand now, may or may not have
cash in future when it breaks down)
* Is it likely that a new unit would be more effient and start saving
me significant money? (that is part of my thinking on replacing it
now, instead of waiting, any validity in that avenue of thought)
* I get from a few general conversations that I should avoid the super
efficient models for some reason, what is the thinking there?
* Any general recomendations on considerations when looking at AC?
* Is there any advantage in replacing both AC and Heater together?
* Any good Web sites where I can do general research before I start
looking at specific brands or systems?
* Any general ideas on cost, I realize they probably vary greatly, but
any ballparks.
* Can I save money by hauling out old furnace myself (if it will save
a couple of hundred bucks, I have a saw-z-all and a couple of
brothers, how tough could it be??) obviously I would have to safely
vent refrigerant, which is probably freon, due to age of system.

Any Advice welcome--
SQLit

"Rotation Slim" wrote in message
om...
[...]

How long are you going to stay where you are?

Check this site
http://198.147.238.24/ac_calc/default.asp

It will let you do some what ifs.

I would pay for the most efficient unit I could afford. (high SEER).
I would contact several licensed installers and ask the questions to them,
while getting quotations. It might be time to inspect and clean the old duct
work and add more insulation to the attic.
The installer is the most important part of the situation. An bad installer
and great equipment still equals an crap result.
Venting freon is against the law and is punishable if you get caught. I
would ask all of the bidders for an option of them removing the freon and
you and yours removing the equipment. Of course you will have an devil of an
time getting rid of the compressor and A coil as they have to be certified
that they contain no freon. I think it is easier to let the A/C guy deal
with it.

Good luck

---

Chris Hill

On 29 Sep 2004 15:33:06 -0700, (Rotation
Slim) wrote:

My furnace and AC are both about 15 years old, I think they are on
their last legs, so I am thinking about replacing them. AC struggles
mightilly to keep up in warm weather, leaks the water that it takes
out of the air. Furnace is just old, although no major problems.

I wouldn't call 15 years "old". Of course that's just me. If you
were talking 20-25 that'd be old.

I live in a 4 bedroom, 2 story colonial, I think 2000 square feet.
Have 7 kids so doors are never shut. Live in Michigan, cold winters,
humid summers. Don't want the kids growing up soft.. so I don't feel
the need to run AC all the time, just a few weeks a summer when it is
really hot and humid. Forced air/Natural gas.

Have a few questions:

* Is it wise to replace because it it old, or should I wait until a
breakdown? (I happen to have cash on hand now, may or may not have
cash in future when it breaks down)

I'd fix the ac and hang on a bit longer.
\
* Is it likely that a new unit would be more effient and start saving
me significant money? (that is part of my thinking on replacing it
now, instead of waiting, any validity in that avenue of thought)

Depends. The old one may be 80%, some of the new ones can hit 95%;
look at your gas bill and see what the difference would be. Air
conditioners may be better also, but if you don't run it much you
won't save much.

* I get from a few general conversations that I should avoid the super
efficient models for some reason, what is the thinking there?

I've heard that too. Some think they fail more. I've had one for
seven years, it has never had a problem.

* Any general recomendations on considerations when looking at AC?
* Is there any advantage in replacing both AC and Heater together?

I'd do the whole thing at once, the old ac may not fit in a new
furnace.
CJ

We, too, live in Michigan (southeast) and faced a similar dilemma 3 years
ago.
Our home is a bi-level, about 1,800 square feet.
It's best to replace everything at the same time.
It's best to make the replacement when these appliances are still operating
and you are not rushing to make a decision.
We purchased a Trane furnace and A/C.
These replaced a 22 year old furnace system and a 14 year old A/C system.
Get at least 3 estimates......our estimates ranged from the ridiculous to
the best price and warranty.

The only things we would do different is

1) NOT buy the 2 speed furnace (requires water removal hose).
We don't believe the 2 speed has held up to the high efficiency hype and we
don't like hearing the trickling water stream frequently run out into the
sump pump. Plus, as one person later told us, there is just more parts to
break down on this type of furnace. I'm just a consumer, so, I don't have a
clue if that statement is true or not.

2) And, we would not get a programmable thermostat........it is a total
pain.......we are so sorry we paid extra for that feature.

The best money saving features we put in was an automatic thermostat
operated
gas fireplace furnace in the lower level and a fan in the upper level
portion of the hallway. Since we have a bi-level, this automatic fireplace
furance has saved us a bundle in gas bills (we were surprised at the savings
with just this one appliance!). I don't know if this savings is a result of
the bi-level design or if it would work with any basement where the lower
heated air can rise to the upper portion of the house. All I can say is that
the gas bill savings was enormous and it cost hardly anything in electricity
to run either.

Good Luck.

[...]

Stormin Mormon

More inserted.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Rotation Slim" wrote in message
om...
My furnace and AC are both about 15 years old, I think they are on
their last legs, so I am thinking about replacing them.
CY: Well, that makes sense.

AC struggles
mightilly to keep up in warm weather, leaks the water that it takes
out of the air. Furnace is just old, although no major problems.
CY: When was the last time you had a pro service it?

I live in a 4 bedroom, 2 story colonial, I think 2000 square feet.
Have 7 kids so doors are never shut. Live in Michigan, cold winters,
humid summers. Don't want the kids growing up soft.. so I don't feel
the need to run AC all the time, just a few weeks a summer when it is
really hot and humid. Forced air/Natural gas.

Have a few questions:

* Is it wise to replace because it it old, or should I wait until a
breakdown? (I happen to have cash on hand now, may or may not have
cash in future when it breaks down)
CY: The cash question is the big one. A pro service clean and check might
buy you a couple more years.

* Is it likely that a new unit would be more effient and start saving
me significant money? (that is part of my thinking on replacing it
now, instead of waiting, any validity in that avenue of thought)
CY: I have a friend who had his furnace replaced, he really raves about the
energy saving.

* I get from a few general conversations that I should avoid the super
efficient models for some reason, what is the thinking there?
CY: some folks find the 90 percenters heat furnaces hard to service. I
personally have never worked with AC that use "Puron" so can't comment on
that.

* Any general recomendations on considerations when looking at AC?
CY: Ask the install company searching questions.

* Is there any advantage in replacing both AC and Heater together?
CY: Yes, absoloutely.

* Any good Web sites where I can do general research before I start
looking at specific brands or systems?
CY: I'm sure there are, but I don't know any offhand.

* Any general ideas on cost, I realize they probably vary greatly, but
any ballparks.
CY: Furnace and AC both, I'd wild guess between 4 and 10 grand, installed.

* Can I save money by hauling out old furnace myself (if it will save
a couple of hundred bucks, I have a saw-z-all and a couple of
brothers, how tough could it be??) obviously I would have to safely
vent refrigerant, which is probably freon, due to age of system.
CY: You'd want to coordinate that with the installing company. There is no
such thing as "safely venting" refrigerant, it has to be pumped offf and
bottled and sent in to a company that reclaims it. If you call some
companies to come out and put a furnace where you ripped one out, I'm sure
it will maek them nervous. I've never known anyone to do this. but you can
discuss it upfront.

Any Advice welcome--
CY: Get four estimates, and choose the one who is very polite, never swears,
doesn't smoke, and gives you simple common sense answers to your questions.